Value of: J.T. Miller (LW/C/RW)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
That’s not even close to enough from Toronto, Washington, or New Jersey. Not enough from Colorado or NYR either. I’d do the Pens deal
Basically the value of JT Miller in my mind is two 1sts. That is what most of those trades represent. Maybe you don't know who the prospects are? what do you think Miller fetches in a trade?

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
How is Miller getting the equivalent of two first? Stone, who is a couple levels above him, received a above average D prospect and a 2nd, while signing for a 8 year extension upon arrival. He was also younger when he was traded.

And that’s without being a locker room ‘cancer’.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Who doesn't want a player who has been good for a PPG over the last 140 games (although we shouldn't call him a "90 pt player" until he does it in a season) -- but when you look at the age, and the contract, and Vancouver's need to shed salary, and other trades in which higher-value players have moved for less.... I'd be shocked if another GM felt like they had to break the bank. IMO this trade, if it happens, will disappoint a lot of Nucks fans.

Of course, now that I've said that, watch Sakic lose his mind and send Newhook+Byram+picks the other way

Reactions: HockeyWooot

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would pay a BIG BIG price for JT Miller especially at this deadline.

You'd have to make the money work but

Miller Matthews Marner

Or Miller Tavares Nylandrt would be unstoppable.

Either combination is deadly

It's a big price.

Amirov+

Or Robertson + Liljegren/Niemela

We can take back Ritchie for salary purposes.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Jost+J. Barron for Miller 50%? Jost used to play on the same line as Boeser so he should fit in chemistry wise and Barron is a budding RHD prospect.

Jost doesn't really move the needle much for Vancouver. Miller at 50% for two playoff runs would be very expensive.

Newhook is the prized piece, but I see Sakic just pretty much being unwilling to deal him. If he's not in the deal, the package would be hefty.

Maybe Barron + Olausson + Helleson. We can move other bodies for salary purposes if necessary.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Miller is a nice deadline trade chip if the (hopefully) new management decides to use him as a piece to get futures back. He brings the intensity every game and has been one of the top scoring wingers in the league over the last few years. 2 playoff runs at 5.25 for a versatile top line player capable of playing up and down the lineup at every forward position seems awfully valuable to a contender.

I think 2 firsts, or a 1st and a 1st round comparable prospect should do it if the Canucks are game.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Hi Guys

Just wondering what kind of RHD we could get for JT Miller in trade.

He was our leading scorer last year, is again this year, and is tied for 7th OA in league scoring as we speak.

He has been awesome, and has played much, much better than his years in Tampa

Great on face offs and plays all 3 forward positions

So, whatcha offering?

Thanks

(Just for discussion purposes)

carlo

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
How is Miller getting the equivalent of two first? Stone, who is a couple levels above him, received a above average D prospect and a 2nd, while signing for a 8 year extension upon arrival. He was also younger when he was traded.

He's not a lockeroom cancer...

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Jost doesn't really move the needle much for Vancouver. Miller at 50% for two playoff runs would be very expensive.

Newhook is the prized piece, but I see Sakic just pretty much being unwilling to deal him. If he's not in the deal, the package would be hefty.

Maybe Barron + Olausson + Helleson. We can move other bodies for salary purposes if necessary.

Lmao that is a ridiculously over priced counter offer. Most Avs would offer is Barron+First+salary going back. You are essentially asking for two firsts who have out performed their draft position and a second that has significantly out performed his draft position. Cheap ELC players are crucial to a team like Colorado to contend long term.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Just a few to spit ball with obv make your little tweaks

Colorado
Newhook + 1st

New Jersey
Severson + 2nd

Toronto
Holl + 1st + 2nd (becomes 1st if they make conf finals)

Rangers
Schneider + 1st

Penguins
Marino + 1st

Washington
McMichael + 2nd

Miller is a UFA after next season. I don't think he'll get a top prospect like McMichael.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I could see Petry being involved in a trade. Gallagher + as well. He’s from the west coast and a character guy that seems to be lacking with Van

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Lmao that is a ridiculously over priced counter offer. Most Avs would offer is Barron+First+salary going back. You are essentially asking for two firsts who have out performed their draft position and a second that has significantly out performed his draft position. Cheap ELC players are crucial to a team like Colorado to contend long term.

It’s honestly not that outrageous if you’re asking for Miller now at 50%. It’s going to cost 1st/2nd + Barron for Miller with no retention. Vancouver doesn’t care what the Avs needs are, they care about the return. Other teams will offer a similar package if the Avs don’t.

Reactions: nightonthesun

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It’s honestly not that outrageous if you’re asking for Miller now at 50%. It’s going to cost 1st/2nd + Barron for Miller with no retention. Vancouver doesn’t care what the Avs needs are, they care about the return. Other teams will offer a similar package if the Avs don’t.

If that’s the ask I’d rather trade for Forsberg or Hertl.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

upload_2021-11-19_10-28-37.gif

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If that’s the ask I’d rather trade for Forsberg or Hertl.

That's fair, but so would other teams. Hertl is probably the Avs ideal target because there should be less competition with his NTC, but we don't even know if he would want to come to the Avs. If he doesn't that leaves Forsberg... and Nashville has been playing well, there's a decent chance he re-signs with the Preds. So all of a sudden Miller may be the only option with a bunch of other teams looking to upgrade their forward corps as well.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

So a dman that projects to be middle pairing, a low first and you want us to take salary back, this offer would be beat by pretty much every other team.

So what incentive is there for the Canucks? To make the Av's a better team?

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If the Canucks make a trade, it's to shake things up and compete, not to go into a rebuild. Benning will add picks/prospects, not receive them. Proposals should be made with that in mind. Lateral moves and deck chair rearranging, only.

As long as Aquilini is pulling the strings, and his sock puppet Benning is still around, they won't give up on that potential playoff revenue until they are officially eliminated from a playoff spot.

As things stand now, the only realistic potential trade partners are other underachieving teams that could use a shakeup as well.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Who doesn't want a player who has been good for a PPG over the last 140 games (although we shouldn't call him a "90 pt player" until he does it in a season) -- but when you look at the age, and the contract, and Vancouver's need to shed salary, and other trades in which higher-value players have moved for less.... I'd be shocked if another GM felt like they had to break the bank. IMO this trade, if it happens, will disappoint a lot of Nucks fans.

Of course, now that I've said that, watch Sakic lose his mind and send Newhook+Byram+picks the other way

If JT Miller is available there will be a lot of playoff teams wanting him. It’s not often you can get a player that can do it all, great in the face offs, good defensively, brings grit, size, energy and is on a bargain contract.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Stone didn't have an extension in place yet, so Vegas had to take a gamble that they could sign him to a fair extension.

Stone is a great two-way player, but he has only surpassed 70 points once and is always in injury troubles. He also only has 50 points in 73 playoff games which is not really that impressive.

Brannstrom was one of the best NHL defensive prospects at the time and probably a top 10 prospect at that point he was traded. He hasn't progressed as projected, but if Brannstrom was a playing like he was touted as (top pairing defenseman), then you wouldn't be making the same gamble.

Ottawa took a gamble with Brannstrom and it obviously hasn't paid off yet.

Not a close comparison at all. I'll take a top D prospect and a 2nd round pick for JT Miller anytime of the day.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
If I am the Canucks, I am looking for a 3 asset package.... something like a first round pick, young roster player, and a very good prospect (Top 50 in NHL?).

JT Miller would likely be the best forward available at the deadline. His versatility is off the charts... he can play any position at a high-level and play in all situations (PP, PK, defending the lead, etc.). He's signed for another year so you would get two playoff runs from JT Miller.

Canucks could retain half if they are committed to a proper rebuild.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Miller is a 1st line player, signed at a reasonable cap hit for 2 playoff runs. The Canucks can do max retention, meaning a team would get this calibre of a player for ~$2.75 million. An outstanding bargain.

If the argument is, "Colorado would rather keep guys who could be ELC contributors", then fair enough. Very reasonable argument. If you're saying, "that's way too expensive for Miller," then I strongly disagree and you're probably incorrect too.

None of Colorado's premium assets (Byram/Newhook) were proposed. You're not getting Miller for junk. Olausson is a late 1st rounder, and playing well (but not dominating) the OHL as a 19-year-old. I would not say he is over-performing. Barron is fine. Progressing in line with his draft slot, but not setting the world on fire. Helleson is also a nice piece, but again not an A-grade prospect.

Barron + a very late 1st + cap dump coming back is a joke of a proposal. Barron is not really a high-end prospect. The 1st rounder very likely will not be. The minimum would be to add one more valuable piece.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020

You're probably right, that probably is the most the Avs would offer.

Thanks for the offer, but we will look to get his actual value elsewhere.

(Sidenote: I'd offer up our first, Rathbone, and matching salary to any team looking to trade a ppg, versatile forward who we could control for this year and next)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad