Value of: J.T. Miller (LW/C/RW)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would make that move yesterday…. But would the islanders?

The Isles are running like two 40 year-olds in their regular defense rotation. I really don't see them trading their prized, 21 year-old RHD under nearly any circumstances. I'm not even sure if he's even the right target personally. He hasn't been particularly effective in the NHL yet, so he'll have to take some significant developmental jumps if he's going to be a top-pair defenseman.

If the Canucks are trading Miller, it's an explicit sign they're giving up on being competitive anytime soon. I'd rather just maximize the total futures return, than seek out a specific player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Carlo or bust (assuming no McAvoy)
Gryz is 27, smallish and shoots left, Canucks should have no interest

to answer your Qs, Miller can play any top 6 role, incl PP & PK, take FOs, he kinda does it all. I imagine he'd be very good w Hall.

Canucks SHOULD be looking at a rebuilding move -- ie no one over 25, but it shouldn't be all picks and prospects ... really need a top4 RHD. But they also can't blow it up completely. I just worry that this management will try and make a salvage move and bring in someone older. Hopefully the depths of the problem right now will prevent that, as the fans will riot in the streets if it comes to this (and they are experts at that)
Thanks for the reply good info. Yeah Carlo would have to be a know because the Bruins need another d-man like him ...........thanks anyways.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think Miller is our most likely trade candidate, who also has a very high value, especially if the Canucks retail.

If he goes, I'd expect the return to be for a top 4RD who can PK as the main , + a mix of: bottom 6 forward who can PK, 3rd LD who can PK, Defensive prospect, 2nd round pick or better. Obviously the number and quality of the plusses depend on the quality of the main piece and what the Canucks retain.

Ultimately the Canucks have been fine 5x5, bad on the PP, and historically awful on the PK. Since our opening road trip, we have the following losses:

Flyers 2-1, special teams 0PP goals, 1 PPGA
Oilers 2-1 , Oilers 2/2 on PP, Canucks 0/1
Preds 3-2, Pred 2/3 on PP, Canucks 0/5
Ducks 3-2, Duck 1/4 on PP, 0/2
Avs 7-1, Avs 2/2 on PP, Canucks 0/3 and gave up shorthanded goal
VGK 7-4, VGK 2/6 PP, Canucks 0/4
Ducks 5-1, Ducks 2/4 PP, Canucks 0-1 (2 of the ducks goals came in the last minute of game.)
Hawks 1-0, Canuck 0-3 on PP

With any semblance of NHL Special teams, the Canucks get at least a point in 4 or 5 of these games. Any moves the team makes will almost certainly be focussed on fixing the PK.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
i disagree with your statement, top ten is top ten, it’s a statement and it’s hard to get a top 10 prospect. If you have the 24th overall pick, you have to pay a kings ransom to move up to a top ten pick. The player taken is subjective by the way. Seems like your having a temper tantrum because no one will agree with you.

Clearly you didn't read the original post so I'm not even going to get into it.

I said Brannstrom was "probably a top 10 prospect" at the time. I posted two rankings that ranked him 21 and 24 respectively. The margin of difference is close enough given that prospect rankings are largely subjective.

If you think because one person made a list and said "Erik Brannstrom is a X rated prospect", and thus Brannstrom is only an X tier prospect, then you're completely out to lunch.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Clearly you didn't read the original post so I'm not even going to get into it.

I said Brannstrom was "probably a top 10 prospect" at the time. I posted two rankings that ranked him 21 and 24 respectively. The margin of difference is close enough given that prospect rankings are largely subjective.

If you think because one person made a list and said "Erik Brannstrom is a X rated prospect", and thus Brannstrom is only an X tier prospect, then you're completely out to lunch.

I did read the earlier comments and you continue to double down on your faulty premise. He was never a top ten quality prospect and wasn’t close. As I said the value can be measured by previous drafts when teams have traded up. It is significant. The list as you state is made by a person, these are the same people that decide who to draft. In case your unaware that’s how teams do it, they make lists and draft accordingly. The player you speak to, was never at the top of any lists.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I did read the earlier comments and you continue to double down on your faulty premise. He was never a top ten quality prospect and wasn’t close. As I said the value can be measured by previous drafts when teams have traded up. It is significant. The list as you state is made by a person, these are the same people that decide who to draft. In case your unaware that’s how teams do it, they make lists and draft accordingly. The player you speak to, was never at the top of any lists.

These prospect lists are made by the media, not people making decisions.

What are you talking about? lol

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Leafs need to be all over this but im worried they'd push for Niemela and at that point id walk away. I'd give them Robertson though.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I have a feeling Vancouver is going mess this trade up so bad if it happens

They "should" get an absolute HAUL, as Miller is a guy you want in the playoffs considering his versatility to literally do everything, face-offs, PP, PK, finishing, hitting
I believe he was 2nd in the league to Couturier his first year in van in FO%
It's not to difficult to get under the cap

I am already prepared to be very underwhelmed with the return when it should be a 1st and a high end blue chip prospect at least

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad