Value of: J.T. Miller (LW/C/RW)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Schneider is an ideal target for Vancouver. Hoever, not an ideal target for Benning who is frantically grasping at straws to save his job. There is no long term strategy in Vancouver. Just taking it day by day.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
This is how Chicago was able to win multiple cups; by replacing their scoring players that require new, expensive contracts with ELC players.
Seems we've blown that opportunity. Young players are getting paid more, and earlier. We need specific positions, easier to trade for than draft, and less risk of a bust. A retention can be negotiated as well to help, and work in offloading $$. It will be expensive, but don't see us drafting any better than we have, and even if we do, we will still need to trade for players like Miller and Bo after theyre gone.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Gotta pay to play, especially when considering it’s a quantity deal.
The top 4 prospects Toronto has not playing in the nhl aren’t “blue chippers” by any means but I’m pretty sure most reasonable leaf fans see them as guys who should be NHL players in the next couple seasons, and either contribute in the line up or as assets to bring in the missing pieces.
I mean obviously if a real top end prospect shakes free then things change, but we don’t see that all the time, hfb users expectations be damned. It’s not often teams move a byram wahlstrom type. Heck even eichel was moved (yeah yeah I know) and the return was decent roster player decent prospect and a 1st.
A 1st + a former 1st or 2nd round prospect + a 2nd that can be a first is pretty good value imo. Especially when the cap ballast going back aren’t complete deadweight either, and probably offer more residual value in other deals. (Neither holl or Engvall are waiver fodder)

I think the bolded is true, though I'm curious what would be the career projection and player type for each of the prospects you listed (e.g. top 6 scoring C, defensive D... etc.), plus I hope that it's not someone who only has the draft pedigree but not the development to back up the high draft pick status (e.g. Matthew Dal Colle at 5th overall flaming out).

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Seems we've blown that opportunity. Young players are getting paid more, and earlier. We need specific positions, easier to trade for than draft, and less risk of a bust. A retention can be negotiated as well to help, and work in offloading $$. It will be expensive, but don't see us drafting any better than we have, and even if we do, we will still need to trade for players like Miller and Bo after theyre gone.

Miller is about to leave anyway in maximum 2 years. May as well extract value while you can. I am not convinced Horvat wants to stay here either as the Canucks continue to be perennial losers.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Love to get him back in TAMPA and use the cap space from cernak and kuch on ltir. Abb to open up a spot 850k salary+1st+ b prospect ?

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
If the Devils can find a way to get a more defensive minded dman like Montour from Anaheim or Miller from Buffalo, I wouldn't mind if we utilized Damon Severson as a trade chip for JT Miler.

We would be a way better team if we added a more defensive minded dman on our blueline and JT Miller to pair alongside Jack.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Jost+J. Barron for Miller 50%? Jost used to play on the same line as Boeser so he should fit in chemistry wise and Barron is a budding RHD prospect.

An offensive minded, undersized D prospect and a 25 point forward for Miller at half retained? That is a very easy pass.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If the Devils can find a way to get a more defensive minded dman like Montour from Anaheim or Miller from Buffalo, I wouldn't mind if we utilized Damon Severson as a trade chip for JT Miler.

We would be a way better team if we added a more defensive minded dman on our blueline and JT Miller to pair alongside Jack.

We would want the defensive minded D, and could likely make a deal for one without sacrificing Miller.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
An offensive minded, undersized D prospect and a 25 point forward for Miller at half retained? That is a very easy pass.

When did 6’2” become undersized? Did you even look at the prospect? Jost is a solid bottom 6 player who is a great penalty killer who is under 25.

Reactions: hughdreamz

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
When did 6’2” become undersized? Did you even look at the prospect? Jost is a solid bottom 6 player who is a great penalty killer who is under 25.

You're right, 6'2" isn't, I must have him confused with someone smaller. Ill withdraw that criticism. Offensive minded is still what kills my interest though.

Jost is a bottom six player. He holds little value, and should be the kind of player it would cost a third round pick to get, not one of two pieces for a ppg player.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Can’t see Vancouver having any interest in that type of deal.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
You're right, 6'2" isn't, I must have him confused with someone smaller. Ill withdraw that criticism. Offensive minded is still what kills my interest though.

Jost is a bottom six player. He holds little value, and should be the kind of player it would cost a third round pick to get, not one of two pieces for a ppg player.

I would argue he’s a two-way defenseman who likely would be on the Avs if it weren’t for the incredible depth. Just because he’s skilled doesn’t mean he solely an offensive player. I think you’re under rating Barron as a prospect.

As for Jost, I think his value would be a lot closer to a second. We’re not talking about a 31 year old 25 point pending UFA. Jost is a 25-30 point center, who plays great defensively and is 23 years old. He could easily be the Canucks third line center for the next 5+ seasons. He played some of his best hockey down the stretch last season and I think in the right system he could float around 35 points per season.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I'd think the Bruins would be interested, but not sure what they have of interest to offer.
I'm sure Lysell and Lohrei would be off the table.

As far as forwards, young guys Studnicka, Steen, Lauko. Vets Craig Smith, DeBrusk

D - don't think they would include Grezlcyk but I would be ok with it. No to Carlo. So that leaves unexciting pieces like Reilly, Clifton; Zboril has potential. Young guys Brady Lyle, Urho V, Ahchan is a PMD but small

Draft picks would be on the table

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
If you don't want to cough up a young top 4 D with top pairing potential, or a young top 6 forward with 1st line potential for Miller, he's not coming your way.

I don't think most people realise how good this player is. Not going to be sold off for quantity.

He pks, he plays top unit PP. He wins faceoffs. He's solid defensively. He's tough. He scores at a ppg+ rate. You can put him with literally anyone and he'll produce.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
so, thats a clever way of saying no
I wouldn't say it was 'clever', but I will add 'NYVanfan thinks I'm clever' to my sig.

On a serious note, that sort of haul comes along quite rarely and tends to be related to a perfect confluence between what the seller is offering, and some external pressures experienced by the acquiring team.

I'm bullish on Seth Jones compared to many around here, but offering that haul instead of waiting a year to sign him as a ufa seems ridiculous no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad