Value of: J.T. Miller (LW/C/RW)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Someone asked why I would trade Miller..........

#1...................1 1/2 years away from his next expensive contract
#2...................Not exactly in the same age group as our core
#3..................High trade value
#4..................We have to shed cap for next years Boeser contract
#5..................Easier to replace a Winger than a RHD in free agency or trade

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I just don’t think there will be an appetite for a hockey trade given Miller’s contract situation—unless you can find your coveted RHD with a similar situation.

Damon Severson immediately pops into mind, but the Devils aren’t in a position to make a trade like that.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Just a thought on a Miller trade.............

Millers value has gone up since being in Vancouver, and his value was a Mid -1st to Tampa, when he was traded.

It was a 2020 - 1st (18th OA) + 2019 - 3rd (80th OA) + goalie Marek Mazanec

So, maybe the trade could be part of a larger trade

Something around Miller (1st line winger) and Poolman (4/5 RH Dman)
for
RHD up grade (#2) + Pick (a 2nd rounder)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I would prefer him on the left side and we have no room on the left side. He wouldn't get as many minutes with Panarin there. You could push him to Line 1 w/Zibanejad and Kreider on the off-wing, but then fans would just complain that our young players aren't getting any development time. It just wouldn't work out unless NYR gave up on some players.

I'd play him at center with Lafreniere and Kakko

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
50% Miller retained, who is a 70 point 1st line center and can be used on PP PK and 5 v 5 only fetches a prospect and a pick? This aint it chief
Not all prospects and picks are equal. I'd trade him for Clarke or Rossi, no pick required, and those teams would instantly reject the deal. If WPG offered Perfetti or MN offered Boldy for Miller at 50% retained then they aren't adding a 1st to that. If a team offers a lesser blue chip then it would need a 1st attached. But if you ask for a roster player too then you're no longer getting a blue chip prospect in the deal.

I'd much rather get a high end prospect and nothing else than weaken the return by requiring a middling roster player as part of the deal, a middling player doesn't move the needle for us at all. One high quality prospect >>>> a roster player + prospect + pick where the quantity tanks the quality of every piece.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I actually think the Canucks would be crazy not to consider a deal for a top right d man for one of their forwards. Their defence again has been a glaring issue and their right side is tragic.

I would do something like this, keep in mind Benning hates draft picks.

To New York:

Miller

to Vancouver:

Nils Lundqvist
Kratsov
3rd rounder

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Simpo

Sep 18, 2011
To answer the question about why Miller would even be traded:

If Canucks miss the playoffs again this year, then most likely Benning and Green are gone, and there will be a clamour for some big roster changes as well. Miller would seem to be a prime candidate to be moved in this scenario, rather than the younger guys.

However I really really hope this doesn't end up happening, I love JT's surly attitude, and how big he played in the bubble playoffs.

Big year in Vancouver.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think you'd have to expect a big production drop in which case wouldn't be worth the trade value we're giving up.

I think if he got back to 50+ per and the other two get their acts together (which I fully expect) that would be an insane line

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I actually think the Canucks would be crazy not to consider a deal for a top right d man for one of their forwards. Their defence again has been a glaring issue and their right side is tragic.

I would do something like this, keep in mind Benning hates draft picks.

To New York:

Miller

to Vancouver:

Nils Lundqvist
Kratsov
3rd rounder

I wouldn't do that if I were the NYR's

I like Miller, but I don't like him THAT much

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I haven't been swayed by any offers here. If cap is an issue going forward, moving Dickinson, Pearson, Miller (Myers...I definitely meant Myers) or Hamonic would all be preferable to losing Miller, Boeser, Horvat or the rest.

Last edited:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Would love to have him back in a NYR sweater.

Give a Miller, take a Miller? K'Andre (IF he's ready to be Quinn Hughes' shutdown partner) plus either Kravtsov or Chytil (I'm based on the west coast btw, so don't always see Rangers games, and my value assessments could be way off).

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I haven't been swayed by any offers here. If cap is an issue going forward, moving Dickinson, Pearson, Miller or Hamonic would all be preferable to losing Miller, Boeser, Horvat or the rest.

Lol so are you for or against keeping Miller then? :sarcasm:

Agreed that at this point I'd probably move Dickinson before JT.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Miller for Kessel with Arizona picking up half his salary

I was going to make a "that's a funny way to spell _________" comment, but looking up who is available in Arizona...I really don't know what to say. Schmaltz, Keller, Gostisbehere, Chychrun and Timmins are the only returning roster players, and while there are some great looking prospects, neither Arizona nor Vancouver are in a position to make a trade of Miller for futures.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Give a Miller, take a Miller? K'Andre (IF he's ready to be Quinn Hughes' shutdown partner) plus either Kravtsov or Chytil (I'm based on the west coast btw, so don't always see Rangers games, and my value assessments could be way off).
Your value assessment is way off with NYR being the trade partner. Miller wouldn't get the same minutes in NY and having just 1 more year won't net that return from a team not going all in for the cup. If that's the value, Vancouver will need to find a better match to trade with because Rangers can't give that up.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I haven't been swayed by any offers here. If cap is an issue going forward, moving Dickinson, Pearson, Miller (Myers...I definitely meant Myers) or Hamonic would all be preferable to losing Miller, Boeser, Horvat or the rest.

every player you just mentioned that isn’t JT Miller, Boeser or Horvat has no trade value. Most of them are negative value.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Miller for Kessel with Arizona picking up half his salary

upload_2021-11-12_8-55-37.gif

Reactions: missionAvs

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
every player you just mentioned that isn’t JT Miller, Boeser or Horvat has no trade value. Most of them are negative value.

Yes, and I'd rather trade them for nothing, or include a sweetener, over losing Horvat, Boeser, Miller, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad