Is this the year either of Buffalo, Detroit or Ottawa break through?

Is this the year one of Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo finally break through?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Jeff Skinner has been deemed uncoachable throughout his career. It's why the canes moved him and the Sabres as well. The team made a conscious off season effort to instill more accountability and structure. It was evident and the he players even asked for it during locker clean out. Skinner was an obvious poster child. You don't get that from skimming a box score.

He may very well be fine in Edmonton with veterans around him. Sabre fans could care less.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Jeff Skinner has been deemed uncoachable throughout his career. It's why the canes moved him and the Sabres as well. The team made a conscious off season effort to instill more accountability and structure. It was evident and the he players even asked for it during locker clean out. Skinner was an obvious poster child. You don't get that from skimming a box score.

He may very well be fine in Edmonton with veterans around him. Sabre fans could care less.
^^This

Keep reading that we "lost" skinner. No, we jettisoned him because the team believes he contributes more to losing than winning. He is among the WORST players in the league when it comes to defence. We can't have him on the first line because his terrible D makes us susceptible to other teams top lines as Tage also isn't amazing defensively. So you need to move him down the line up to shelter him. Problem? Skinner can't produce on his own. He needs a high quality Centre to produce. When he got bumped to the third line at the end of last year he had like 2 points in 14 games or something.

So what do you do with a 9 million dollar winger that you can't play on the top line, but also won't produce when moved down? You get rid of him. We have a boatload of young wingers who can work towards taking the spot.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ya just showing poster was wrong on J-fresh last year.
J-fresh was correct on the Sen last year, let’s see if his prediction is right again this year.
Looks like 40% of your poll think one team will make it, we’ll find out next April.

Yeah I'm actually surprised it is 40%

I was thinking 70-30 maybe 65-35.

I just don't see either one getting into a top 4 spot, and I think that's what It's going to take.

I think Toronto, Florida, Boston, Tampa, NYR, NJ, Carolina and one of Washington, NYI or Pittsburgh make it and I'm leaning towards Washington

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Eichel requested a trade before the injury
I’m not a huge fan of the Sabres. Just mismanagement then? Or was this just an example of a pro athlete stomping his feet because he didn’t want to play there? Or maybe a bit of both? I thought the whole surgery debacle was definitely the catalyst though. Maybe just bad luck with Eichel’s character, but their rebuild looks totally different with him and Reinhart sticking around. As of right now I wouldn’t bet on the current roster to make the playoffs.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'd be surprised if any of them make it baring one of Tampa/Boston/Toronto intentionally blowing up.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I’m not a huge fan of the Sabres. Just mismanagement then? Or was this just an example of a pro athlete stomping his feet because he didn’t want to play there? Or maybe a bit of both? I thought the whole surgery debacle was definitely the catalyst though. Maybe just bad luck with Eichel’s character, but their rebuild looks totally different with him and Reinhart sticking around. As of right now I wouldn’t bet on the current roster to make the playoffs.
Mismanagement. He gave 6 years of his career here and management didn't build a contending team around him. Would get tiring for anyone. Nobody wants to lose all the time.

Reactions: Minnesota Knudsens

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Well, he went and won a cup with Vegas 2 years later and in my honest opinion should have easily won that Conn Smythe over Marchessault. He stepped in up when it mattered most on a pretty deep team

The Pegulas are showing us that from the top down if you're going to neglect improving your product (young players), it impacts their overall morale on the ice and thus getting less out of them in spite of the expectations that they have on them. The Sabres clearly have a poor environment and the young players have been suffering for long enough

Reactions: Minnesota Knudsens

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I think Toronto, Florida, Boston, Tampa, NYR, NJ, Carolina and one of Washington, NYI or Pittsburgh make it and I'm leaning towards Washington
I agree with your first 7. I don't agree with Pittsburgh being in the running. IMO, they are looking at a full rebuild. I am not sold on Washington. The NYI are always hanging around and will most likely be in the race.

So one spot for NYI, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, and Wash. I am holding out a bit of hope T-Bay begins to decline but not likely.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree with your first 7. I don't agree with Pittsburgh being in the running. IMO, they are looking at a full rebuild. I am not sold on Washington. The NYI are always hanging around and will most likely be in the race.

So one spot for NYI, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, and Wash. I am holding out a bit of hope T-Bay begins to decline but not likely.

As long as that core is there, they are in the running but I don't think they make it.

TB is slowly declining but it is slow and if JJ moser and Conor Geekie develop it might even be able to be stopped

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
It's easy to write teams like Ottawa and Buffalo off because they've missed for so many years. But it is inevitable that they break through, and it will be sooner than later. They both have young hungry teams that are pissed off.

I can't speak to Buffalo as I am an Ottawa fan, but I can say that there will not be many teams hungrier for the playoffs than Ottawa. I honestly think a few of those first 7 teams are going to have their hands full holding on to their spots next year.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit snagged the last wild card slot, but I'd bet more on all three missing. Plus, even if Detroit weakly crosses the regular season finish line, I think they'd be viewed as an easy first round bouncing by an actual contender versus doing any kind of breaking through.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I'm actually surprised it is 40%

I was thinking 70-30 maybe 65-35.

I just don't see either one getting into a top 4 spot, and I think that's what It's going to take.

I agree with the top 7 do not agree about Washington. They snuck in based on great goaltending, luck and poor play by the other teams that were pushing for a spot. But they also got in because they were a team that was more than a sum of its parts. So they went out and got two of the biggest wild cards in hockey in Dubois and Chychrun. That could be very disruptive. I mean it could work, I just think its risky. Is their culture strong enough to assimilate those players taking prime roles? Im skeptical.

On paper Buffalo and Ottawa have much better teams. NYI is going to be in the mix for for sure, Pittsburgh hypothetically should be there. However they didnt make it last year and Crosby had an insane season. Can they make it with the same group? I dunno. I think its more likely that Detroit, Buffalo or Ottawa is a cross over team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree with the top 7 do not agree about Washington. They snuck in based on great goaltending, luck and poor play by the other teams that were pushing for a spot. But they also got in because they were a team that was more than a sum of its parts. So they went out and got two of the biggest wild cards in hockey in Dubois and Chychrun. That could be very disruptive. I mean it could work, I just think its risky. Is their culture strong enough to assimilate those players taking prime roles? Im skeptical.

On paper Buffalo and Ottawa have much better teams. NYI is going to be in the mix for for sure, Pittsburgh hypothetically should be there. However they didnt make it last year and Crosby had an insane season. Can they make it with the same group? I dunno. I think its more likely that Detroit, Buffalo or Ottawa is a cross over team.

I just like what Washington did to their defense, I think Matt Roy was a massive upgrade, that's a guy I wanted the Leafs to get, and according to James Mirtle they got VERY close so that's a shame.

I also like Chychrun over Jensen.

And let's be real as Risky as PLD for Kuempur is PLD is the MUCH more talented player.

Truthfully I think the top 4 is the top 4 through 2027, maybe 2028.

I think you bottom 4 teams need to wait for a top 4 team to fall.

Tampa appears to be showing early signs of that but It's going to take a few more years.

As for Pittsburgh as long as Crosby is there they are in the race.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I just like what Washington did to their defense, I think Matt Roy was a massive upgrade, that's a guy I wanted the Leafs to get, and according to James Mirtle they got VERY close so that's a shame.

I also like Chychrun over Jensen.

And let's be real as Risky as PLD for Kuempur is PLD is the MUCH more talented player.

Truthfully I think the top 4 is the top 4 through 2027, maybe 2028.

I think you bottom 4 teams need to wait for a top 4 team to fall.

Tampa appears to be showing early signs of that but It's going to take a few more years.

As for Pittsburgh as long as Crosby is there they are in the race.
Chychrun and PLD are very talented players. That's not their issue, they take shifts, and full nights off on a regular basis. Again that was a team that fully bought in and was more than the sum of its parts, added two players with questionable character. I wonder if it does more harm than good. You would be naive to not see the risk.

In theory yes they have upgraded their D core it should be better. I just dont think they were very good in general last year. Goal differential and lack of talent throughout the line up says so.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Chychrun and PLD are very talented players. That's not their issue, they take shifts, and full nights off on a regular basis. Again that was a team that fully bought in and was more than the sum of its parts, added two players with questionable character. I wonder if it does more harm than good. You would be naive to not see the risk.

In theory yes they have upgraded their D core it should be better. I just dont think they were very good in general last year. Goal differential and lack of talent throughout the line up says so.

Oh It's very risky, there are night when both players, ESPECIALLY PLD don't give a f***, like at all.

But given the talent that is there and the price that was paid I'd take the risk, especially for Chychrun because he's never been on a good team.

Arizona was a disgrace and Ottawa wasn't much better

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Oh It's very risky, there are night when both players, ESPECIALLY PLD don't give a f***, like at all.

But given the talent that is there and the price that was paid I'd take the risk, especially for Chychrun because he's never been on a good team.

Arizona was a disgrace and Ottawa wasn't much better
Chychrun wouldnt physically engage in any battle the last 40 games of the season last year. Was pathetic to watch with his skillset and talent levels. I think Roy will be a good partner for him and he will be in a better position to succeed than in Ottawa so maybe it works out. Who knows, but its really up to him. There is no issue with his skillset, he is one of the most physically gifted players in hockey. Its a contract year so maybe he plays lights out. Who knows.

I still dont think Washington is very good. Dylan Strome and PLD as your top 2 centers with no play driving wingers. I guess we will see. To me Buffalo and Ottawa has much more talented rosters in just about every position.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Chychrun wouldnt physically engage in any battle the last 40 games of the season last year. Was pathetic to watch with his skillset and talent levels. I think Roy will be a good partner for him and he will be in a better position to succeed than in Ottawa so maybe it works out. Who knows, but its really up to him. There is no issue with his skillset, he is one of the most physically gifted players in hockey. Its a contract year so maybe he plays lights out. Who knows.

I still dont think Washington is very good. Dylan Strome and PLD as your top 2 centers with no play driving wingers. I guess we will see. To me Buffalo and Ottawa has much more talented rosters in just about every position.

Maybe but both Buffalo and Ottawa have missed the playoffs for so long that they have earned the doubt, and quite frankly so has Detroit.

But It's especially true for Buffalo because It's been 13 straight years for them, that's an NHL record, nobody is putting them in until they prove it.

No different than people assuming Toronto would lose in round 1 until JT scored in OT.

There comes a point where you earn the doubt, where you are automatically out until you are in.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe but both Buffalo and Ottawa have missed the playoffs for so long that they have earned the doubt, and quite frankly so has Detroit.

But It's especially true for Buffalo because It's been 13 straight years for them, that's an NHL record, nobody is putting them in until they prove it.

No different than people assuming Toronto would lose in round 1 until JT scored in OT.

There comes a point where you earn the doubt, where you are automatically out until you are in.
I mean sure I agree they dont get the benefit of the doubt. However what happened 13 years ago has nothing to do with right now. I dont think Detroit is as talented or has the upside or the goaltending as good as Ottawa and Buffalo so I have them third. For both Buffalo and Ottawa they had some bad breaks last year. I know every team does but having your first line center injured or battle injury all season is tough for any team. Especially in Ottawas case where Pinto missed half the season and Norris was also injured.

Anyways both those teams have the talent to make it lets see if they can put it together. I think they are quite easily the 8th and 9th most talented teams in the east but again as you say they dont get the benefit of the doubt they have to prove it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if Detroit snagged the last wild card slot, but I'd bet more on all three missing. Plus, even if Detroit weakly crosses the regular season finish line, I think they'd be viewed as an easy first round bouncing by an actual contender versus doing any kind of breaking through.

It would still be viewed as a breakthrough in my opinion simply because It's been 8 years

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's easy to write teams like Ottawa and Buffalo off because they've missed for so many years. But it is inevitable that they break through, and it will be sooner than later. They both have young hungry teams that are pissed off.

I can't speak to Buffalo as I am an Ottawa fan, but I can say that there will not be many teams hungrier for the playoffs than Ottawa. I honestly think a few of those first 7 teams are going to have their hands full holding on to their spots next year.

I know that if you leave an Ottawa or a Buffalo in the NHL for an infinite number of years eventually they will breakthrough.

But like I said, before that can happen, I think a top 4 team needs to fall.

The good news if you are a fan of Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa or Montreal is I do think Tampa is in the early stages of that fall.

The bad news is I think it takes 3 more years, maybe more depending on how Mosser and Geekie develop.

But as it stands on July 15 2024 I think you are looking at 3 more years

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I know that if you leave an Ottawa or a Buffalo in the NHL for an infinite number of years eventually they will breakthrough.

The good news if you are a fan of Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa or Montreal is I do think Tampa is in the early stages of that fall.

The bad news is I think it takes 3 more years, maybe more depending on how Mosser and Geekie develop.

Try making that a poll next
Will Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo make the playoffs within the next 3 years.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

an infinite number of years? You're acting like Ottawa has never been good.

I think you're wrong. I don't even think your mighty (choking) Maple Leafs are immune to missing next season. We shall see. Ottawa is getting a lot closer in your rear view mirror whether you like to admit it or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad