Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Late but that JJ Peterka pick looking fantastic for the Sabres. Went one pick ahead of where we drafted Helge Grans

I'd like to believe the Kings had him in their tier ahead of Grans lol

Side note but I remember heading into the 2020 draft, a relatively unknown scouting podcast I was listening to was going over the top 3, Laf QB and Stutzle.

The consensus at the end was of course the safe pick, Laf at the top spot, but one of the "scouts" said something interesting that always stuck with me.

Paraphrasing here, but he said regardless of Laf's dominance, and QB's potential, Stutzle was the only player of the three that maintained his abilities and skill with the puck AT TOP speed. He could pull off moves that others couldn't while absolutely flying. Thought it was interesting. It kinda sold me on taking Stutzle at #2

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Would assume the Coilers place Kane on LTIR which clears some space so they can at least match one of the Blues offers?

Edmonton is one of the few teams currently over the salary cap, by $354,167. This could make it tough to match the offers to Holloway and Broberg but the Oilers can exceed the salary cap by 10 per cent in the off-season.

In order to tender the offer sheets, the Blues made a trade with the Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday to re-acquire their second-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft and acquire Pittsburgh’s fifth-round selection in 2026. In exchange, the Penguins received St. Louis’ second-round pick in 2026 and Ottawa’s 2025 third-round selection, which was acquired in the deal that sent Mathieu Joseph to the Blues.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Would assume the Coilers place Kane on LTIR which clears some space so they can at least match one of the Blues offers?

Edmonton is one of the few teams currently over the salary cap, by $354,167. This could make it tough to match the offers to Holloway and Broberg but the Oilers can exceed the salary cap by 10 per cent in the off-season.

In order to tender the offer sheets, the Blues made a trade with the Pittsburgh Penguins Tuesday to re-acquire their second-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft and acquire Pittsburgh’s fifth-round selection in 2026. In exchange, the Penguins received St. Louis’ second-round pick in 2026 and Ottawa’s 2025 third-round selection, which was acquired in the deal that sent Mathieu Joseph to the Blues.
Pretty sure LTIR is not in effect in the summer.

Reactions: King'sPawn

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Pretty sure LTIR is not in effect in the summer.
no but the 10% is, which is more than Kane's salary anyway. Point is there is a path to match and be compliant on day 1.
is broberg out of waiver eligibility? Wondering if they match than move him into the AHL sabing ~$1M of his salary, than put kane on LTIR and re-call Broberg.

Reactions: Lt Dan

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
no but the 10% is, which is more than Kane's salary anyway. Point is there is a path to match and be compliant on day 1.
is broberg out of waiver eligibility? Wondering if they match than move him into the AHL sabing ~$1M of his salary, than put kane on LTIR and re-call Broberg.
Apparently, Broberg is no longer waiver exempt.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan and YP44

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I am a bit surprised that Holloway was offer-sheeted. I saw him play a lot his freshman year at UW and just never really saw it. His production the next season was more a result of playing alongside a player having a historically great season and less about DH being an offensive force himself. This is his age 23 season, so he's not really a kid anymore, and he really hasn't proven a ton at the NHL level, other than he's a pretty good bottom-liner. I think a third round pick is pretty fair compensation if EDM doesn't match.

Broberg is obviously the bigger loss, but that is a pretty hefty AAV for again a player entering his age 23 season who hasn't exactly proven a ton. We have seen guys before show well in limited playoff action, people get overhyped and then he returns to normal level. I don't think EDM would get a 2025 1st rounder if he were under contract and they were going to try and trade him, so the loss in actual value in both cases is pretty minimal.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am a bit surprised that Holloway was offer-sheeted. I saw him play a lot his freshman year at UW and just never really saw it. His production the next season was more a result of playing alongside a player having a historically great season and less about DH being an offensive force himself. This is his age 23 season, so he's not really a kid anymore, and he really hasn't proven a ton at the NHL level, other than he's a pretty good bottom-liner. I think a third round pick is pretty fair compensation if EDM doesn't match.

Broberg is obviously the bigger loss, but that is a pretty hefty AAV for again a player entering his age 23 season who hasn't exactly proven a ton. We have seen guys before show well in limited playoff action, people get overhyped and then he returns to normal level. I don't think EDM would get a 2025 1st rounder if he were under contract and they were going to try and trade him, so the loss in actual value in both cases is pretty minimal.
They won't get a first rounder here either if they do not match.
If they do match they will be even tighter against the cap. And not just for this year but the year after when Leon needs an extension.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
They won't get a first rounder here either if they do not match.
If they do match they will be even tighter against the cap. And not just for this year but the year after when Leon needs an extension.

I know the compensation is a 2nd for him, that is why I referenced them not being able to get a 2025 1st if they were to offer him, and why I think the value is fair if they don't match.

I think his ceiling is a 4/5 d-man, not worthless by any stretch, but if put on the open market he probably gets back similar to what the compensation is.

Holloway has some sandpaper to his game and plays with a lot of energy, but much like his former college teammate Turcotte, there just isn't much offensive upside, and that limits how much value a player really has (considering he's not a defensive stopper or a huge physical force). I don't think he warrants a contract 3x as much as the Kings gave Turcotte, he's a little better, but not much.

Would you offer the Kings 2025 2nd rounder for Holloway? I wouldn't, a 3rd? Sure, so ya I think the value is pretty fair. But that's a big AAV for Dylan Holloway, the Blues must feel there is more untapped offensive potential.

Reactions: YP44

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
dude i told you you can't drink that much robitussin before you go to bed
1723581595576.jpeg

That’s Brett Peterson on the far side, Tukka Rask on the left. Apparently we have the same taste in clothes. And it was champagne, not Robitussin.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
View attachment 900835

That’s Brett Peterson on the far side, Tukka Rask on the left. Apparently we have the same taste in clothes. And it was champagne, not Robitussin.
It seriously looks like you all went shopping for a shirt before hitting the bar -- and the store had only one style of shirt left for all of you to get/wear.
BTW, freaking awesome!

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It seriously looks like you all went shopping for a shirt before hitting the bar -- and the store had only one style of shirt left for all of you to get/wear.
BTW, freaking awesome!
Ha yeah I dunno who the white guy in the far back is but his shirt had pink and other colors in it while Tukka and mine were just blue and white. Brett’s the guy with the blue hat on backwards.

Pretty surreal. I never thought I’d be so awestruck by something like this but it has left me gobsmacked.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Also this seem like a great place to close "Around the league part 2" that's been around for 20 months and open a new one maybe? Sick of seeing my avatar on the main page ;)

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

I saw Broberg twice this past year when Ontario played Bakersfield and he def stood out.

He will be the bigger loss of the two especially for the Oilers D, which besides the top pair, sucks.

Reactions: YP44

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Vancouver throws in the towel on Podkolzin, traded to Edmonton for a 4th round pick, for a guy they took #10 overall in 2019, yikes what a fall. He looked well on track in his first season in North America, but it's been a total disaster since.

Edmonton also trades Ceci to SJ for Ty Emberson. Seems like a win/win move. The Oilers will now match both offer-sheets from STL and the Sharks get a solid veteran to mentor their youth and then flip him to a contender at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad