Around the league part 2

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings have a nice long history of giving up on #1 dmen for relatively nothing

Faber isn’t gonna be Ray Bourque but Larry Murphy was a fun one too

I’d have a hard time saying it’s the worst trade in franchise history but as Fabers career plays out and Fialas fizzles it’s gonna get pretty far up the list on context alone if not raw ability

Pretty funny to see the copium being peddled at this point as if Blake deserves any last benefit of the doubt on really anything

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC

I’d have a hard time saying it’s the worst trade in franchise history but as Fabers career plays out and Fialas fizzles it’s gonna get pretty far up the list on context alone if not raw ability

Pretty funny to see the copium being peddled at this point as if Blake deserves any last benefit of the doubt on really anything

I wasn’t impressed by Faber when he was our property and can admit my opinion wasn’t informed. So far I’ve been wrong about how good he is.

My lesson learned is that Blake will make the wrong long term decision every step of the way. Whether I agree with it or not at the time.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There has never been any reporting of any kind saying that, not from either organizational mouthpieces like Hoven or from independent journalists like Rosen. What we do know is that Robitaille and Blake both came to power pushing the idea to ownership that the team could still contend with 11 and 8, and seven years in they have produced as many series wins managing the team that you and I have, ZERO.

Plus, AEG has a history of allowing a slow and proper rebuild to occur, it happened under the previous regime, so why would AEG be so opposed to trying that strategy again? Why didn't they force Lombardi to try and contend? It's waaaaaaaaaay more likely that AEG is completely hands off and Blake and Luc have been given full autonomy to run the team as they wish and the only time we will hear from AEG is whenever the time comes for Dan Beckerman to come in with his Valyrian sword and take their heads.

I think they had this all planned out once it went off the rails in 2018-2019, they figured they could draft very high in the next three drafts and be able to add those guys to Doughty and AK while still in their somewhat primes and they could have contended in 22-23-24 before AK's contract ended, he was past his prime, and those guys needed to be signed to their big extensions. Instead their #2 overall pick developed extremely slowly and only had one 55 point season before his contract ended, their #5 pick has been arguably the worst pick in team history and has contributed basically nothing in 5 years, and their other pick, they (for whatever reason) have yet to trust at the NHL level, and played only a fraction of the games that was likely expected through three seasons in the organization of a pick that high.

Was that logic sound? Well they probably would have hit to immediately hit on all those picks for the plan to work, which is a tough task, because drafting is obviously an inexact science and it's tough to expect to go 3 for 3 in consecutive drafts. If they end up with Stutzle, Boldy and Power (just an example of ending up with 3 studs in 3 drafts) and hang on to Faber, are the Kings contenders any of the previous 3 seasons? Maybe, but again that requires batting 1000, which probably wasn't realistic. They needed to give themselves a margin of error in-case a pick like Turcotte was made, and they gave themselves none.
It’s not a question of there being any reports. It’s just that strategy is something that would come from someone at a level above Blake. Granted that’s an extrapolation based on my experience in the corporate world and observation in a sporting context, but it bears out. GM’s get canned all the time, which signals a rebuilds all the time. The GM then gets recruited to do that job, carrying out the strategic directive they are given (contend, retool or rebuild). I’m sure the GM’s input into these decisions at times but it won’t be their final call.

Even with DL iirc it took a little time for him to be allowed to tear it down as he wanted, he had to sell the organisation on being a lottery level team, for a period of time. I may be remembering this wrong, I accept that as it was a while ago and access to information was more measured.

From what I saw Blake seemed happy and committed to tearing it down so I don’t think he was uncomfortable or unhappy with that direction. I also believed/felt that he was initially given the brief of having one last go when he took the job (hence Kovalchuk). I’m not saying he wasn’t up for it or even disagreed but that’s a separate discussion. To me at least he seemed more committed to the rebuild, can’t explain why though. He seemed more enthusiastic and the direction felt clearer to me.

However I also don’t think Blake would panic when Doughty complained because he never strikes me as someone that would, but Luc on the other hand I do think would react. That’s opinion only as I obviously know neither of them. However in terms of how a business works (including hockey) there are operational roles and strategic roles. The GM is hockey operations and Luc’s role is strategic. Beginning and ending a rebuild is a strategic decision not a hockey operations one, because the impact goes way beyond what happens on the ice. Just my view of course, happy to eat crow when Blake’s autobiography comes out.

I’m not absolving Blake or making excuses as he’s made plenty of mistakes. I just think the accountability for the rebuild decision is not his, even if he likely had input into it. It’s why I feel strongly that Luc should go also. Both should be gone already IMO.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
"My wife asked the Kings to give my son a shout out on Twitter. Trever Lewis offered to visit."

my-wife-asked-the-kings-to-give-my-son-a-shout-out-on-v0-uukyg8rjsn851.jpg

:clap:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Surely you aren't foreign to the history of the team trading away first round picks like they were nothing?

Ron Grahame for a 1st (Ray Bourque)
Rick Martin for a 1st (Tom Barrasso)
Skip Krake for a 1st (Reggie Leach)
Jerry Korab for a 1st (Phil Housley)
Gerry Desjardins for two 1sts (Steve Shutt and Dick Redmond)
Bob Murdoch and Randy Rota for a 1st (Mario Tremblay)
Larry Murphy for Brian Engblom and Ken Houston
Butch Goring for Dave Lewis and Billy Harris
Alex Zhitnik for Grant Fuhr
Darryl Sydor for Doug Zmolek and Shane Churla
Milan Lucic for a 1st that would've likely been Mat Barzal or Kyle Connor (plus Martin Jones and Colin Miller).

All of these moves were far worse, as what the Kings got in return were short term players, and all of those listed were short-sighted moves.

The Kings traded away many picks that turned into Hall of Famers and Stanley Cup champions for many, many years. They also loved trading for over-the-hill players whose best years were far behind them, and achieved absolutely nothing as a result of all of these moves.

Hate on the trade all you want, but calling Faber for Fiala their worst trade in their history is something an uneducated person would say.
Yeah, at the bare minimum Fiala is still playing regularly and one of the team's top producers.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, at the bare minimum Fiala is still playing regularly and one of the team's top producers.

Fair and I'd say it's not even his 'fault', the trade itself and the context is the flaw, not the player. He's fun, he scores, he cares, but he was never going to do what the trade was intended to do short of being a 100 pt player in the playoffs. Pro scouting failure yet again.

Unlike PLD where it was ALL OF THE ABOVE

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I’m 100% certain it was Bluc who thought the best route was try contending asap with Kopi & DD. Whether that was playoffs or more. It was their call, not ownership. I think they sold ownership on the playoffs and that revenue.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Zhitnik trade ended up being not that terrible because Phillippe Boucher end up turning into a solid NHL player and played parts of 7 seasons in LA.

Sad and interesting fact, Tsygurov passed away.

Charlie Huddy
Robb Stauber
Alexei Zhitnik
1995 5th round pick (#111-Marian Menhart)
February 14, 1995​
IIRC, Boucher wasn't very good for most of those 7 seasons. When he finally hit his stride he was gone.

Boucher, Zhitnik, Sydor all became good players for other teams.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

Kings did not give up on Bourque. Boston received the 8th pick from the Kings and drafted Bourque. Larry Murphy was a different story. I remember management was unhappy with Murphy, though a very good offensive defensemen he made alot of bad decisions in his own end and they wanted a more reliable player like Engblom who was + 141 in a 2 year span. We had season tickets then and many Kings fans really gave Murphy a hard time. His rookie year with the Triple Crown Line they were an exciting team and actually had 99 points that year. But just imagine if the Kings did draft Bourque and not traded Murphy the 80's would have added to the best decade of my life.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Kings did not give up on Bourque. Boston received the 8th pick from the Kings and drafted Bourque. Larry Murphy was a different story. I remember management was unhappy with Murphy, though a very good offensive defensemen he made alot of bad decisions in his own end and they wanted a more reliable player like Engblom who was + 141 in a 2 year span. We had season tickets then and many Kings fans really gave Murphy a hard time. His rookie year with the Triple Crown Line they were an exciting team and actually had 99 points that year. But just imagine if the Kings did draft Bourque and not traded Murphy the 80's would have added to the best decade of my life.
There was a story back in the day that Murphy had backed down from a fight and it pissed off someone in management, or something close to that.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Larry Murphy went to arbitration.

Larry Murphy submitted a number. The Kings submitted a number.

The arbitrator came back with a number lower than what the Kings had submitted.

Murphy told the team to trade him.

They traded him.

Reactions: yankeeking and YP44

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

They traded him.
What they got in return is equivalent to trading Brandt Clarke for Niko Mikkola and Evan Rodrigues, except Larry Murphy was a proven player who still holds the record for most points in a season by a Kings defenseman, and he went on to win four Stanley Cups.

The Kings also didn't have to trade Murphy, but in traditional George Maguire fashion, the drunkard got bent over in that deal.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

They traded him.
A trip to Chuck E. Cheese and a few games of skeeball would have erased all of the animosity and everyone would have been friends again

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
What they got in return is equivalent to trading Brandt Clarke for Niko Mikkola and Evan Rodrigues, except Larry Murphy was a proven player who still holds the record for most points in a season by a Kings defenseman, and he went on to win four Stanley Cups.

The Kings also didn't have to trade Murphy, but in traditional George Maguire fashion, the drunkard got bent over in that deal.

HOW IT WOULD LOOK TODAY​

The Los Angeles Kings traded a gifted offensive defenceman, who was a top 5 pick in his draft, after three seasons because he expected a significant pay raise. They traded him for a winger that would only play 33 games for them before retiring and a defenceman who would give them two and a half decent seasons before being packaged in a trade for more mediocrity.

If it happened in 2011 the Kings would have traded Drew Doughty for Trevor Daley and Eric Nystrom.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Asking for a friend....ok, I made these and hope it's ok to post here.
For some Summer fun activity, I decided to make a series of shirt designs and post them
on Amazon and other places...and have a theme: The Struggle is Real. It can be anything that
can work for that theme and made a few...parenting....adulting (those came out great and hope to sell some) and started thinking to get into sports. So, why not a Leafs, the struggle is real, since 1967?

I thought, I had better not use the Leafs logo, so just used their font style...and thought would add impact, to find the oldest looking pic...and found a 1967 cup parade in Toronto.
The results are good and I think some die hard Leaf fans may embrace their suck...and Leaf haters...some may buy a shirt or mug. WELL....they flagged me and won't let me print them!
Citing the Leafs logo and the photo. I started looking for a 1967 Leafs photo, in which I can buy the license on a site like shutter stock...I could only find a Leafs 1940's cup photo, with Turk Broda...it's pretty funny; old fat goalie with the cup in black and white...says I can buy it for $60 and reprint on anything...but it is not 1967.

Thoughts?
1. is this good / funny enough to sell some?
2. how can I get around the copyrights? ie: just write Leafs?
Instead of old 1967 photo, what, in it's place? Just the Cup? Sux, because the ancient photo makes ones realize the Leafs last cup looks like 80 yrs ago and adds impact.

Would love to advertise on Dangles site and see if he would wear one...like after the Leafs annual playoff exit. I was thinking of others: Miami Dolphins 1974 Super Bowl. The half century celebration. But...will not even attempt, since cannot get by copyrights.
Now, they let me use Munch's The Scream! 1893. But I bet they do not even know that was a real art piece!

I want to get the Leafs one at least 1 printed and I'll wear it.
unisex-classic-tee-ash-front-66b9caf5666db.jpg

unisex-classic-tee-ash-front-66b9ccbd5d0ad.jpg
unisex-classic-tee-ash-front-66b9c94a0860d.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium