Is this the year either of Buffalo, Detroit or Ottawa break through?

Is this the year one of Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo finally break through?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Ottawa is one of the most overrated franchises. On paper their team should be an automatic playoff team but then they go hire janitors to be behind the bench.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think FLA, TOR, CAR, BOS, NYR are all locks. TB and NJ are in the next tier of pretty likely imo. Which leaves one spot for Caps, Penguins, Islanders, Red Wings, Sabres, and Senators.

That’s tough

I'd favor Washington in that group, they didn't mess around

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And that’s the issue. With the moves he’s made this off season it still wont put them over the hump.

I actually agree, coming into the off season I actually thought they'd make it next year because they were so close this year.

And then they traded Walman and a 2nd to the Sharks for free for some reason.

Then they lost Perron but got Tarasenko, honestly that's probably an upgrade.

But then they signed Talbot and Campbell for some reason even though they have Husso and Lyon..

I needs an explnation

Reactions: brentashton

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I actually agree, coming into the off season I actually thought they'd make it next year because they were so close this year.

And then they traded Walman and a 2nd to the Sharks for free for some reason.

Then they lost Perron but got Tarasenko, honestly that's probably an upgrade.

But then they signed Talbot and Campbell for some reason even though they have Husso and Lyon..

I needs an explnation
The 4 goalies is mind boggling, like the Walman deal.

Reactions: brentashton

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
wings points last 5 seasons:
39 -> 48 -> 74 -> 80 -> 91

how is that not progress

Yeah, but their underlying numbers were terrible and they only came close because of unsustainable shooting percentage. There are a couple of teams like that every year. Probably back to being an 80ish point team again this season.

If anyone gets into the playoffs from this group I think its Buffalo.

• Wow
Reactions: Realgud

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I know Detroit was close last year, but i just can’t see Talbot and Lyon getting Detroit into the playoffs over an Ullmark and Forsberg tandem.

I honestly might prefer a UPL and Levi over that Detroit tandem.
UPL was one of the best goalies in the league last season and Levi had an overall solid NHL showing with a great AHL run. Our goaltending is set.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There's some bias here but I think Ottawa made bigger strides this off-season than Buffalo/Detroit. The addition of Ullmark is more impactful than anything the Sabres or Red Wings did.

The issue is that for any of these teams to take a step forward one of the top-six from last year is going to have to take a step back and it might be a year too early for that. Boston got better this off-season, the Panthers are still a threat despite losing some defenders and for all the flack Toronto gets (rightfully so) they are still a regular season wagon.

The X factor for me in the Atlantic is Tampa Bay. Will be interesting to see how they do with Guentzel/McDonaugh instead of Stamkos/Sergachev. That's a team with depth issues throughout the lineup and if Kucherov isn't all world again they could finally take a step back. It seems a year too early to go against them though. Kucherov/Hedman/Vasi/Cooper can keep them in contention for as long as they are elite.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Atlantic ended up getting both WC spots, so that might be the best chance for the trio of breakout teams to actually make the playoffs. I don't see any of NYI, WAS, PIT, PHI being much better on paper than OTT/DET/BUF. It's probably going to be a dogfight for that last WC spot amongst those teams.

You aren't wrong how can anybody look at all 3 of Buffalo Ottawa and Detroit and say Ottawa biggiest strides?

They added a top 6 forward in Perron and a legitimate #1 goalie in Ullmark.

I don't like the Chychrun trade, I do like Jensen but I'd rather have Chychrun over Jensen, but even with tha I think Ottawa did more good than bad.

Buffalo I don't think anything good, they bought out a top 6 forward, they paid a 2nd for a 4th liner, and a top prospect for a 3rds liner center, I got them at about 78 points I just don't think they are anywhere close to a playoff team.

Detroit is a mixed bag they gave away Walman with a 2nd rounder for free for some reason, then

they replace Perron with Tarasenko, that's probably an upgrade and Tarasenko is slightly younger than Perron too.

But then Detroit signs Talbot and Campbell for some reason and now they have 4 goalies for some reason.

Ottawa seems like the only one with an actual plan which I haven't always been able to say.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They liked Sens last year yet they faltered again.....the fact that a garbage team like the Capitals who were -37 on the season in GD over all these teams is terrible considering they had Strome as their top center.
Last year J-Fresh had the Senators missing the playoffs.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Along with most other people
Ya just showing poster was wrong on J-fresh last year.
J-fresh was correct on the Sen last year, let’s see if his prediction is right again this year.
Looks like 40% of your poll think one team will make it, we’ll find out next April.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Sens lack the top end talent, any sort of leadership/culture, and the coaching is always awful. Ullmark is going to totally miss Boston’s commitment to team defence/buy-in.

The Sabres are a mess. They really needed to let Eichel get that dumb surgery, but then they botched it and traded him for peanuts. If they keep him maybe Reinhart doesn’t walk. Now they’ll probably have to watch Skinner light it up for the Oilers while they continue to pay him. It would be a depressing team to cheer for.

Detroit is the closest. The Wildcard in the east is wide open and I’m going to disagree with most and say Talbot might get them in. They get bounced round 1 though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad