Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I agree with the concept of we’ll have money and we’ll look to add forwards with it but I don’t think there’s any reason to think we’ll land one of those big dogs.
Yup

We'll never sign a big dog forward because we'll talk ourselves out of signing anyone to the long term high dollar contract the big dogs want because there is some perceived wart on their resume. Like Guentzel being too old in his last 2 years of a 8 year deal.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I slightly disagree about Morrow and being a Top 4 RHD (maybe top pairing). A year or most of year in the AHL will go a long way to prepare him for a Top 4 role. Offensively and skating-wise, he's nearly capable of that now. His deficit is on the pure defensive side of things. In his 2 game audition, he clearly made mistakes, but most that I recall had more to do about gaps and not anticipating the speed. As each of the games progressed he made adjustments, but he's still not there yet.

However, having a Slavin or somebody similar baby sit him on the defensive side of things (which he's done for Dougie, Tony, and, frankly, Burns too) should not be overlooked. Playing with Slavin, in and of itself, will be an education for Morrow, should that situation materialize.

I'm not suggesting that he will be able to or should step into that/those roles. I'm merely saying I don't think it is beyond reality that the organization expects him to be ready or nearly ready for a Top 4 role.

A lot of the blue line's future, IMO, depends on Nikishin's transition to the NHL. There's no guarantee that he will be able to "just step into a Top 4 role". I'll be quite interested in his potential late season audition or the following year's training camp.
I don’t think it’s beyond reality that Morrow makes it to being babysat by Slavin, and using the example of Tony is the best argument you can make that we could do that. I do think Nikishin would handle being forced into a top four role a lot better than Morrow will, but I don’t assume that will happen either.

This team has shown imo that it prefers to be confident in its options instead of hoping someone is ready. Nikishin has had a level of success that may stretch that a little, but it wouldn’t shock me at all if they have a plan B if Nikishin isn’t ready for the role. We’ll see how much faith we have in Ghost because that’s the first option, just to move Ghost up and leave the Nikishin for the third pair as long as he shows he’s ready for to be at least that. I think they are assuming he’s ready to be a third pair guy at least.

Morrow is just a different story to me, because he’s not shown the defensive game at any level. Imo Tony is as of today a big step up defensively from Morrow. This year is obviously huge for his development. He needs to improve that side to the point where they can make an argument that 31 year old Slavin can carry him if they’re not replacing Burns. If it was based on what we have today my money would be on us finding an outside replacement for Burns until they’re more confident Morrow is that guy. Of course that could be different by the end of the year.

I also think Legault, Heimosalmi or Nystrom could surprise and shake up what we assume about this defense in the near future.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Morrow, similar to Nadeau, is the textbook definition of a high-ceiling, low-floor guy. Morrow is either the future solution to Slavin's right side, develops well enough to become a major centerpiece in a trade for a sure-thing RHD like Weegar next offseason, or completely craps the bed. Not a lot of middle ground with him.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I would imagine any Laine trade has KK going the other way just from a cap management standpoint.
Moving Kotkanemi for Laine seems risky imho. The C depth is not the greatest as is, and to me, Kotkaniemi is a much better bet than Drury at actually playing top 6 minutes. He’s proven he can do it in spurts. Put him with Svechnikov and Necas (and put Laine with Jarvis and Aho) and I think you really have something.

Camp-wise though, yeah, Kotkaniemi pretty much is the only guy to send back. Maybe Fast, if he is going to retire? Send Fast and a pick/prospect, get CBJ to retain $2M or so, get Jarvis on a bridge and maybe, just maybe it could work. That’s a lot of variables though.

I think it’s more likely we see some PTO invites of the likes of Zadina, Kubalik, Johnson, etc. Whenever I see folks penciling in Nadeau to a top 6 spot, I cringe a little. I just don’t see RBA giving a rookie that top 6LW spot.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Moving Kotkanemi for Laine seems risky imho. The C depth is not the greatest as is, and to me, Kotkaniemi is a much better bet than Drury at actually playing top 6 minutes. He’s proven he can do it in spurts. Put him with Svechnikov and Necas (and put Laine with Jarvis and Aho) and I think you really have something.

Camp-wise though, yeah, Kotkaniemi pretty much is the only guy to send back. Maybe Fast, if he is going to retire? Send Fast and a pick/prospect, get CBJ to retain $2M or so, get Jarvis on a bridge and maybe, just maybe it could work. That’s a lot of variables though.

I think it’s more likely we see some PTO invites of the likes of Zadina, Kubalik, Johnson, etc. Whenever I see folks penciling in Nadeau to a top 6 spot, I cringe a little. I just don’t see RBA giving a rookie that top 6LW spot.
Yeah same. I think we're MUCH more likely to see a Roslovic-KK-Necas second line than Nadeau in the top 6, though that'll piss Necas off something fierce unless he just instantly clicks with Roslovic.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Yeah same. I think we're MUCH more likely to see a Roslovic-KK-Necas second line than Nadeau in the top 6, though that'll piss Necas off something fierce unless he just instantly clicks with Roslovic.
I think you have 2 top 6 “pairs” - Aho & Jarvis and Svechnikov & Necas. I don’t think you can load up on the top line with Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis, as there’s just not enough balance. You can throw Kotkaniemi in between Svechnikov & Necas and I think you have a pretty decent 2nd line because of the talent level of the wingers. With Roslovic playing his off-wing with Kotkaniemi and Necas…eh…no like it.

Ideally, I think you play Roslovic in the bottom 6 with Drury and Carrier. That line should be able to create some havoc with 3rd pairs and other 4th lines.

They’re short a top 6 LW for sure without really any options left outside of playing Roslovic on his offside, praying a PTO is a fit or least likely, filling that spot with a rookie.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Either the Canes bridge Jarvis and trade for Laine or the Canes sign Jarvis long-term and they conserve cap space to make a top-6 add at the deadline. Maybe Rod can get away with top line Martinook or Roslovic for half of the year until that time comes.

Reactions: DaveG

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Either the Canes bridge Jarvis and trade for Laine or the Canes sign Jarvis long-term and they conserve cap space to make a top-6 add at the deadline. Maybe Rod can get away with top line Martinook or Roslovic for half of the year until that time comes.
Good grief, I hope not - I can barely stand several shifts of that, let alone several months of it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I also think Legault, Heimosalmi or Nystrom could surprise and shake up what we assume about this defense in the near future.
I agree with this. I also feel that Walker might replace Burns on the top pairing as soon as this season. But I think he's considered a 3 or 4 longer term.

That said, we're not bereft on the back end. On the left side specifically, Simon Forsmark has shown pretty well and this season will tell a lot. This will be his 2nd season playing with men. This feels like a make or break year for Seeley. Longer term, guys like Kol and Fransen are likely part of the answer.

I've been an advocate for Nystrom for a while now and think he's one of the guys who could take that next step this season. Wonder if he will go back over the pond or surprise us and play in Chicago.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Fast LTIR? I dunno. I may have started my afternoon drinking a little early.
Fast has been rumored to be anywhere from maybe ready to start the season to retiring, so who knows.

Maybe his status being up in the air is the reason the Jarvis extension hasn’t been announced yet. They could have plans for his cap hit if he’s not playing next year or if they know he’s not playing, that could mean more $$$ to give Jarvis for a long term deal.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
is he a sure thing though? I mean he’s one of the best shooters in the world, or was a few years ago at least. But is the rest of his game or body up for playing Brind’Amour style hockey? Or if it isn’t can/will Brind’Amour still find a way to use him? I’m not saying we should avoid him I’m just skeptical of how much of a gamebreaker he really is at this point. I’d love to be proven wrong though

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
is he a sure thing though? I mean he’s one of the best shooters in the world, or was a few years ago at least. But is the rest of his game or body up for playing Brind’Amour style hockey? Or if it isn’t can/will Brind’Amour still find a way to use him? I’m not saying we should avoid him I’m just skeptical of how much of a gamebreaker he really is at this point. I’d love to be proven wrong though
Would be a huge gamble, but one I’d take.

That said, I don’t think it happens due to all the cap gymnastics such a trade would require.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
His success here is probably similar to Necas’s. Where he won’t truly fit the system, looks out of place sometimes, but his elite offensive skills could still be a net positive on the offensive side of the puck.

I also think he’s a similar gamble to us bringing in Kuzy salary cap wise. One where he might end up mildly productive. But long term we may regret having that extra year next year and will want to spend cap elsewhere the following season, just like we just experienced with Kuzy this offseason.

If the cost is low. I think the gamble might be worth it. But I hope it doesn’t hurt our chances of bringing in the correct top 6 piece next offseason.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad