Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Today would be a great day to sign Seth Jarvis.
fe328b73-2bc2-4eef-8518-d41a18607f41_text.gif

...pray for the Jarvis extension

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Considering the fact that Freddie Andersen's contract is expiring and Kochetkov has three years until UFA, I wonder if the Canes are interested in Askarov.

That would really surprise me. I could have envisioned the Canes going after Saros before the Preds re-signed him, but everything I've read seems to indicate that Trotz is still valuing Askarov like he's the next Shesterkin. Both his minor league performance to this point and the Goalie Voodoo effect in general would seem to undermine the notion of the Borg paying the premium for Askarov that Trotz seems to want. (all pure speculation on my part)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Nashville would have to really like Callum Ritchie to be interested in anything Colorado has to offer.

i'd be surprised if Colorado overpaid for goalie with 3 NHL games because they have to be pay the in division tax.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That makes sense to me. With Landeskog coming back, they're gonna want to contend, and yanking the goalie slot machine lever again is probably the only way they're going to fix their goaltending at this point.
I was thinking more along the lines that their current backup is Annunen, who they can probably send to the A without getting claimed, and their stuff behind Annunen and Georgiev is meh at best until you get to the prospects that are 3-4 years younger than Askarov. Mind you Georgiev is also meh at best IMO.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
this is a bit of a re-tooling year anyways (one where I think we comfortably make playoffs but not as top in metro and not as a likely top contender. but once you're in you never know).

I would be 100% for shipping out Freddie and trading for Askarov. Askarov/Koochie for the next 3-4+ years, and possibly even longer sounds great to me. Preds likely asking a lot though and not sure how much I'd give up for Askarov, as good of a prospect as he is. Would really want to get it done with 1 of our 2nd tier prospects and picks at most.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
When people completely write-off Freddie based on his playoff performance I like to remind them that he went 13-2 in the regular season last year with a 1.84 GAA .932 SV%.

He’s more than capable of splitting starts with PK (when he’s healthy). Just don’t play him every game in the playoffs like a stubborn as (I’m sorry RBA, please don’t choke me out)

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
When people completely write-off Freddie based on his playoff performance I like to remind them that he went 13-2 in the regular season last year with a 1.84 GAA .932 SV%.

He’s more than capable of splitting starts with PK (when he’s healthy). Just don’t play him every game in the playoffs like a stubborn as (I’m sorry RBA, please don’t choke me out)
I think people write him off because of his inability to stay healthy and actually be counted on. Just like Raanta. So I don’t really feel confident counting on him to split starts.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think people write him off because of his inability to stay healthy and actually be counted on. Just like Raanta. So I don’t really feel confident counting on him to split starts.
his history is nothing like Raanta's though.

Raanta's games played vs. Andersen's games played
18-19: 12 vs. 60
19-20: 33 vs. 52
20-21: 12 vs. 24
21-22: 28 vs. 52
22-23: 27 vs 34
23-24: 24 vs. 16 (this wasn't injury per se, it was a blood clot)

Raanta's career high is 47 games and only twice has been > 30 games. Not even close to Freddie. No doubt, the last 2 years Freddie has struggled (one of them being a blood clot), so there's pause for concern.

I could see a split with Pyotr doing 50 games and Freddie doing 32, plus/minus.

Also, welcome back. I've noticed you've taken a hiatus for a couple of months.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

For the record what I'm hearing is that the move to Kooch being the #1 goalie this year is more about it being the time for him to step up than anything about Freddie. They genuinely have high expectations for Kooch going forward and the plan is to see that happen this year.

That being said, the playoffs meltdown didn't do Freddie any favors.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
For the record what I'm hearing is that the move to Kooch being the #1 goalie this year is more about it being the time for him to step up than anything about Freddie. They genuinely have high expectations for Kooch going forward and the plan is to see that happen this year.

That being said, the playoffs meltdown didn't do Freddie any favors.
That makes sense. They need to pressure test Kochetkov this year while they have Andersen so they know whether they are pursuing a 1A or 1B/2 to replace Andersen next year.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Andersen choked completely in the playoffs. I couldnt care less where he ends up. Between the freddie flu and the choke job / fail when you need him thing, its time to move on.

No idea bout the unproven nashville kid, but PK needs to be starting this year. Now or never.

Reactions: cptjeff

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
his history is nothing like Raanta's though.

Raanta's games played vs. Andersen's games played
18-19: 12 vs. 60
19-20: 33 vs. 52
20-21: 12 vs. 24
21-22: 28 vs. 52
22-23: 27 vs 34
23-24: 24 vs. 16 (this wasn't injury per se, it was a blood clot)

Raanta's career high is 47 games and only twice has been > 30 games. Not even close to Freddie. No doubt, the last 2 years Freddie has struggled (one of them being a blood clot), so there's pause for concern.

I could see a split with Pyotr doing 50 games and Freddie doing 32, plus/minus.

Also, welcome back. I've noticed you've taken a hiatus for a couple of months.
I don't intend to compare degrees of injury proneness, of course Raanta's been even less reliable. But that doesn't mean Freddie has been reliable. Missed '21 and '22 playoffs due to injury despite higher game counts in the regular season. Blood clot is honestly still a concern and I don't view it as being 100% in the rear view mirror. And yeah he was terrible in these past playoffs.

Freddie is a very solid goalie when healthy. Not elite, but solid 2nd(ish) tier. But he's not really healthy enough to be relied upon in any top 2 role, in my view. Going into this season without a legit #3 goalie I think would be a mistake if Freddie is one of our top 2. Not saying Askarov is the only answer. But he absolutely would answer that short term question while also having a great chance at providing more long term stability at the position too. That's why I like the idea, of course depending on other factors such as cost and his willingness to play the role we need him to play here. Plus we could get assets for Freddie.

But regardless I do agree Pyotr should be our main starter or 1a getting the most starts.

And yes, I'm back and

1724171351899.png

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And lets not sugarcoat just how good Kochetkov was last year. NHL Rookie of the Month honors in December and February last year while basically single handedly stabilizing a goalie situation that was in complete disarray in October and November. Named to the NHL All Rookie Team at the end of the season. He's already started and won playoff games for us, he's routinely looked good when getting starts at the NHL level, and even more impressively, looks better the more he plays.

There's really no reason for us to not be extremely high on his potential. He absolutely is the kind of goalie who could carry us to contention or a title when he gets going. We should be excited about him taking that next step this year.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Team email update (boys are back in Town for Captain's skate) is headline leader along with Mgt. hires and 5K run.

Just below, they are prominently displaying Season Ticket opportunities. I thought they had a good waiting list to fill year over year non-renewals?

That leads to whether the team will continue to sell out next year. If not, higher pricing, playoff disappointment, high profile player losses/lack of high profile signings are impacting Season Ticket Membership and ultimately game sales?

1724260271851.png

1724260407397.png

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 1.23.01 PM.png

I think we'll see the sellout streak continue. Here's what the individual seat map looks like for a Friday game again the Panthers in November looks like. That's not a lot available.

That said I don't think there's a waitlist anymore for season tickets, but there's for sure a limited quantity left. Probably due to the huge bump in ticket prices. We were one of the families that almost decided to jump ship, but we love our Canes too much.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
Hey- Sorry if this is wrong place for this but I'm reaching out to those in the know re: Jarvis contract situation. Jarvis has at least four more years before reaching UFA. It appears the Canes have about $6.5m in cap space and could free up another $1m.

Any news on the negotiation? What do you think this contract will look like, a bridge or longer term buyout of some UFA years? Thanks.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad