Roster Building XXII: Too Many Forwards, Hopefully One Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm guessing it's because a common way to remove the pit after slicing an avocado in half, is the strike it with a sharp knife, twist it and then pull the pit out (stuck to the knife). That's the way I've done it as far back as I can remember.

I suspect those getting injuries are holding the 1/2 of the avocado in their hand, and then miss with the knife? Only thing I can surmise.

EDIT: I did a google search and found a news video where a surgeon says "Mainly, it's people putting the tip of the knife into the pit of the avocado while holding it in their non-dominant hand. The tip of the knife will slip off that pit, go through the soft flesh of the avocado and then impact their hand."

Starts at 23s

I just press the butter knife edge against where the pit and good stuff meet and wiggle the pit out.

The first time I took a sharp knife and tried to slap chop a bulls eye on the pit I knew myself well enough to know this was a bad idea and it couldn't be that hard to do this another way. Trying to get it or the meat out by stabbing a sharp tip of a knife in there seems like an equally poor choice.

Apparently there’s a market out there for me to share my avocado wisdom.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I just press the butter knife edge against where the pit and good stuff meet and wiggle the pit out.

The first time I took a sharp knife and tried to slap chop a bulls eye on the pit I knew myself well enough to know this was a bad idea and it couldn't be that hard to do this another way. Trying to get it or the meat out by stabbing a sharp tip of a knife in there seems like an equally poor choice.

Apparently there’s a market out there for me to share my avocado wisdom.

For me it’s less the bullseye part, but more how you get a big slimy pit off the sharpest chef’s knife you own (I almost always end up grabbing a paper towel in order to grab the pit securely before pulling off the knife). Also the circular cut around the avocado to open it up in the first place has the potential to be dangerous if you are just holding it in your hand.

I’ve gratefully never hurt myself doing it but it’s definitely one of those kitchen tasks I’m cautious with.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

The Necas stuff was surely interesting.

Most interesting was the likely “informed” speculation that the hold up on Jarvis was Tuslky still “tinkering” with the roster. Have to think they tried on Laine, not sure what else is out there to tinker with at this point though, especially if they’re going to give Jarvis an 8yr deal. The aav of that potential deal eats up all their space, unless Fast is a no go.

Maybe a PTO or 2? Kubalik and Zadina come to mind, not very exciting, but also not a rookie who’d be forced into top 6 mins on his offside (Nadeau or Blake…).

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Most interesting was the likely “informed” speculation that the hold up on Jarvis was Tuslky still “tinkering” with the roster. Have to think they tried on Laine, not sure what else is out there to tinker with at this point though, especially if they’re going to give Jarvis an 8yr deal. The aav of that potential deal eats up all their space, unless Fast is a no go.
Makes me think Fast is a no go. Tulsky will want to get as close to the ceiling as possible before putting Fast on LTIR. Look for a move then sign Jarvis for the rest.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Love that "tinkering" with the roster has kept us from signing our young, talented forward. I'm sure that sends a great message.

"Sure, we'll get right to you. But first, let me try and sign this player that doesn't want to be here, and another that requested a trade. Then let me try and trade for a few disgruntled players from other organizations. And then you can have what's left over!"

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Love that "tinkering" with the roster has kept us from signing our young, talented forward. I'm sure that sends a great message.

"Sure, we'll get right to you. But first, let me try and sign this player that doesn't want to be here, and another that requested a trade. Then let me try and trade for a few disgruntled players from other organizations. And then you can have what's left over!"
I don’t think it sends that sort of message at all.

They know he wants to be here and he knows the team wants him here long term. Whatever you think of Adam Gold, I do think he has some sort of link with the front office, so that $8Mx8 talk from a few weeks ago probably has some truth to it. I’m of the mind that they basically have already agreed on terms of a new deal, but they may have some things still up in the air that could be affected by them no longer having any cap space.

If they had signed Jarvis alreay, they’d be capped out. That likely decreases any leverage they have in potentially absorbing a contract from another team, etc. Complete speculation on my part.

I think the announcement of a Jarvis extension is a formality. It makes some sense, to me at least, that other moves might be holding that up. I don’t think Jarvis cares about the “when” he signs his new deal as long as it’s before camp. There’s been no talk about contentious negotiations, like there was with Aho. So, I think Jarvis likely understands the business aspect everything.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Read the whole thing, folks. Really useful quotes and some fun day in the life stuff on our guys too.

Including Aho living up to the Finnish stereotypes:

14. Aho is Carolina’s coffee king. Minimum of two per day, “Just black.” Normal game day is probably four cups, although he did admit a few occasions where it’s gone to six or eight. Really? “Yeah, that’s too much. Let’s (say) four.” He loves a certain Finnish brand, but says he’s no snob and will drink Starbucks.​

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Guess some people just live life waiting to interpret every harmless little thing as something negative. Considering most of these guys just let their agents handle shit, and knowing Jarvis, he's probably still just living his best life without a care in the world. He knows it'll get done. I'd also imagine he'd be happy to see the team and knows there are benefits to short term deals with a rising cap if the long term isn't done this time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For me it’s less the bullseye part, but more how you get a big slimy pit off the sharpest chef’s knife you own (I almost always end up grabbing a paper towel in order to grab the pit securely before pulling off the knife).
Simple. I open the trash, hold the knife at the very end of the handle, then bang the handle of the knife on the edge of the plastic trash can with the knife part extending over the trash can. The force knocks it right off and drops it into the trash. It's the way I've been doing it for years.

I don't hold the avocado when I strike the pit with the knife though, I leave it on a counter or cutting board.

Also the circular cut around the avocado to open it up in the first place has the potential to be dangerous if you are just holding it in your hand.
Agree. I always do the on a counter or cutting board.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Guess some people just live life waiting to interpret every harmless little thing as something negative. Considering most of these guys just let their agents handle shit, and knowing Jarvis, he's probably still just living his best life without a care in the world. He knows it'll get done. I'd also imagine he'd be happy to see the team and knows there are benefits to short term deals with a rising cap if the long term isn't done this time.
Oh, look at you. All sunshine and rainbows.

We lost Teravainen, Noesen, Pesce and Skjei...and now we are about to piss off Jarvis. Get your head out of the sand!!!!!! We're a lottery team next year for sure.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Simple. I open the trash, hold the knife at the very end of the handle, then bang the handle of the knife on the edge of the plastic trash can with the knife part extending over the trash can. The force knocks it right off and drops it into the trash. It's the way I've been doing it for years.

I don't hold the avocado when I strike the pit with the knife though, I leave it on a counter or cutting board.

Agree. I always do the on a counter or cutting board.

I’ve tried that method and I think I’m too gun shy on swinging my chef’s knife that hard lmao

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Maybe a PTO or 2? Kubalik and Zadina come to mind, not very exciting, but also not a rookie who’d be forced into top 6 mins on his offside (Nadeau or Blake…).
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but if we agree to a 1 year deal with Jarvis when could we then extend him again? Similar to the Koko offersheet, in theory we could try to have a handshake deal with Jarvis to do a bit cheaper 1 year deal immediately followed by a big 8 year deal as soon as we're allowed... Would we have to wait as long as we did with Koko?

Would only make sense to bother with this if we were still trying to get another top 6 forward this and needed the flexibility. Most likely scenario is giving Jarvis 8 and the roster is then basically set at least until the deadline.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but if we agree to a 1 year deal with Jarvis when could we then extend him again? Similar to the Koko offersheet, in theory we could try to have a handshake deal with Jarvis to do a bit cheaper 1 year deal immediately followed by a big 8 year deal as soon as we're allowed... Would we have to wait as long as we did with Koko?

Would only make sense to bother with this if we were still trying to get another top 6 forward this and needed the flexibility. Most likely scenario is giving Jarvis 8 and the roster is then basically set at least until the deadline.
He’d still be RFA, but that’d be a pretty stinkin big risk on his part. I’d think a bridge would 2yrs, no more no less. So I’d say he’s either bridged for 2 or signed for 8.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Would be a big risk for Canes too, because it probably would look quite obvious that it was done to bring down the cap hit for 2024-25.
Nothing against it though right? It's not even bending the rules like some other teams are doing. But yea I think Jarvis would be better to go 2 years and by then with the cap-bump he'd probably end up the highest paid player on the team if he keeps developing like he is

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He’d still be RFA, but that’d be a pretty stinkin big risk on his part. I’d think a bridge would 2yrs, no more no less. So I’d say he’s either bridged for 2 or signed for 8.
Well in theory if each sides trust each other it’s more like a 9 year deal… but yeah very risky for both sides if the other reneges.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Nothing against it though right? It's not even bending the rules like some other teams are doing.
I think the League could quite easily make a case that a team is intentionally seeking to circumvent the salary rules if the team signs its RFA to sequenced 1+8 year contracts especially if the 1 year SPC has a considerably lesser AAV which allows the team to sign another player who the team would not be able to sign if they right away extended the RFA to more expensive 8 year contract. The CBA 26.3 about circumventions is written so that the League has quite a massive amount of discretion in what is considered a circumvention.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I think the League could quite easily make a case that a team is intentionally seeking to circumvent the salary rules if the team signs its RFA to sequenced 1+8 year contracts especially if the 1 year SPC has a considerably lesser AAV which allows the team to sign another player who the team would not be able to sign if they right away extended the RFA to more expensive 8 year contract. The CBA 26.3 about circumventions is written so that the League has quite a massive amount of discretion in what is considered a circumvention.
Just announce that due to difficult negotiations they have signed Jarvis to a one year offer sheet and will forfeit their own 1st and 3rd rounds picks to themselves after they declined to not match the OS. Then extend him on 1/1/25.

By the time the league untangles the press release it’ll be to late to extract punishment,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad