Michkov vs Demidov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It’s 2024 : it’s not overly difficult to get content . But sure , go on . I could easily say that the fact you think that Demidov iq is of the same calibre as Michkov is a dead giveaway that you yourself are cherry picking your viewings ( or not watching at all ) . It’s easy to sling mud w limited justification.
Except I never once mentioned the offensive IQ of Demidov?
I also explained in another response why specifically I think you've never watched full games of both players.
You literally see Michkov disappear from the screen almost every time his team is defending. This is not really an opinion, it's quite factual if you watch games.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Imagine you could have drafted, say, Kucherov but drafted someone like... I don't know... Dobson instead, a very good young defenseman without question. When will you forget that you could have had Kucherov but got Dobson? I'm pretty sure never... Ok, probably you will if the team wins the cup, that's the only way.

If teams tought Michkov was the next Kucherov he was going #2, probably even #1. Contract situation and Russian factor be damned, he wouldn’t have fell to 7. Even Arizona would have drafted him despite him apparently saying he doesn’t want to play there.

So the argument doesn’t make sense. Some other poster tried to excuse other teams for passing on Michkov because of centers need and blah blah. You don’t draft Fantili/Carlsson/Smith above Michkov if he‘s hitting the level Kucherov has reached. At that point every single team in that draft will beat themselves for passing on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: danisonfire

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Had the Habs drafted Michkov there was no chance they were drafting Demidov. It would have been three consecutive top 5 picks on wings (Slaf, Mich and Dem). Teams don’t do that, at least smart ones.

Reactions: Habs7631

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If teams tought Michkov was the next Kucherov he was going #2, probably even #1. Contract situation and Russian factor be damned, he wouldn’t have fell to 7. Even Arizona would have drafted him despite him apparently saying he doesn’t want to play there.

So the argument doesn’t make sense. Some other poster tried to excuse other teams for passing on Michkov because of centers need and blah blah. You don’t draft Fantili/Carlsson/Smith above Michkov if he‘s hitting the level Kucherov has reached. At that point every single team in that draft will beat themselves for passing on him.
Exactly. People forget that Malkin had an even worse contract situation than Michkov and ended up having to literally sneak out of the country to come over and play for the Penguins. He still went 2nd; there was no way he wasn’t going 2nd. Teams care about talent and projections first and foremost, and if the level of talent is enough, they worry about contract stuff later.

These Michkov fanboys are delusional, calling him generational and all kinds of other nonsense. He got over half his points in his draft year in 2 games against Kunlon Red Star, who had a token Chinese goalie in net with a .650 save% on the season.

Michkov has more question marks than anyone. He’s also small, slow, soft, lazy, and plays zero defense.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If the Habs drafted Michkov instead of Demidov, HFBoards would be unanimous in declaring Demidov the better prospect! lol
I wouldn't, I trust the Russian posters on this site when they speak about Russian players. They rarely post and don't hype up every Russian player so when they do talk about a some Young player being special I listen.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
While he does have high offensive IQ. You really can't say he goes where the puck is if you watched full games...
You mean he cheated for offense a bit on a team completely, absolutely devoid of offense and talent in Sochi?

Hm interesting

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I'm not talking about what teams thought (there were still a lot of talks about Michkov was the most talented Russian prospect since Ovechkin and Malkin), but who he really can become.

You can say Michkov isn't Kucherov right now, but Reinbacher isn't Dobson either...

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Michkov is 100% the superior prospect. How their careers turn out from here won’t change that.

It’s funny how Demidov supporters hold Michkov slipping to #7 against him, despite the fact he told certain teams not to draft him. And that Demidov also slipped to #5 in a significantly weaker draft class.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Exactly. People forget that Malkin had an even worse contract situation than Michkov and ended up having to literally sneak out of the country to come over and play for the Penguins. He still went 2nd; there was no way he wasn’t going 2nd. Teams care about talent and projections first and foremost, and if the level of talent is enough, they worry about contract stuff later.

These Michkov fanboys are delusional, calling him generational and all kinds of other nonsense. He got over half his points in his draft year in 2 games against Kunlon Red Star, who had a token Chinese goalie in net with a .650 save% on the season.

Michkov has more question marks than anyone. He’s also small, slow, soft, lazy, and plays zero defense.
This is why every fan is going to laugh if Demidov fails.

• Haha
Reactions: jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
You mean he cheated for offense a bit on a team completely, absolutely devoid of offense and talent in Sochi?

Hm interesting
A bit is an understatement

That being said , it doesn't mean he will be that going forward, but it's "a bit" concerning 😜

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Let's just leave out Demidov is 1 year younger so of course he will be ahead of Demidov right now on a rankings list. Does not mean he will not be the better overall player.
Time will tell who the better player is regardless what anyone says. IMO watching both. Demidov will be the better play all around.

I think both will be good but Demidov come playoff time based on his size in comparison and compete will be the better player.

Not to mention that 1 year younger Demidov is ranked #3 on that same list. #2 and #3 are pretty interchangeable at that point with the age difference. Both are talented prospects

Reactions: Tanknation

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

This would be a valid argument if Michkov's draft season was an aberration on his career. Instead it was just another season of multiple examples where he statistically outperforms his historical competition at his given age.

At some point it becomes less "Michkov benefited from racking up point against Kunlun Red Star" and more "How does Michkov manage to consistently be the best player historically for his age in every league and every level that he plays in?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Michkov is 100% the superior prospect. How their careers turn out from here won’t change that.

It’s funny how Demidov supporters hold Michkov slipping to #7 against him, despite the fact he told certain teams not to draft him. And that Demidov also slipped to #5 in a significantly weaker draft class.
The “significantly weaker draft class” part remains to be seen. We’ll know in a few years. I think they were drafted lower than”expected” because they play a less valued position, wing, than centers or defensemen.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I wouldn't, I trust the Russian posters on this site when they speak about Russian players. They rarely post and don't hype up every Russian player so when they do talk about a some Young player being special I listen.
What Russian posters know? Meh. Habs posters, go listen them.

Reactions: Xirik

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Demidov is extremely talented, but lacks the agility of Hughes and Kane.

I think Zegras is a more realistic comparison. All world skill and creativity but lacking elite athleticism.
I think Demidov will be stronger, but I mean this comparison makes a lot of sense.

Before Habs fans get up in arms about "oh he will be so much better than Zegras", let's not forget that Zegras was considered an absolute steal in the 2019 draft and in "pure skill", was probably #2 behind Jack. He also had a 61-point rookie season and then a 65-point sophomore season (on bad teams) before last season his stock plummeted - but it's fairly easily explainable with two separate major injuries - when he got back to health at the tail end of the season, he was 8 points in 8 games with like 19 minutes a game. Expect a big season from Z this year.

The individual skill, the jaw-dropping highlights, the ability to dazzle, the "intensity" as we are hearing much about - those are all hallmarks of Zegras - and it makes even more sense if you consider the Habs interest in Zegras pre-draft to be genuine - clearly, they were prioritizing this archetype of player to compliment Caufield's slippery, quick strike instincts and Slafy's power forward potential.

It's a great set of wingers to build around for sure.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Confirmation bias lol

Elite prospects has Michkov as the #2 prospect in the NHL!! Ahead of Demidov.

If you want to find something you confirm your opinion, it’s extremely easy to do so.

If I want to hear who is better in a Demidov Michkov debate, I sure as hell am not going to listen to Philly or Habs fans.

Notice how all the people not fans of either of these teams are picking Michkov? It’s pretty telling. And no, the world doesn’t hate Montreal and Demidov - there is just a player better than Demidov. It happens.
A few points:

1. These lists that you speak of generally go: 1. Celebrini; 2. Michkov; and 3. Demidov. Not much of a separation if you're trying to make a point. And again, these rankings mean jack shit. Go back historically and see how well these prospect ranking have held up. By any prognosticator. Some picks certainly stand the test of time but most...

2. You have NO idea what will impact these guys for the next 15 years that will drastically affect their performance. Family struggles, addictions, external forces... Players don't play in a vacuum; they're human as well, subject to the same character failings and pressures we all are and whose impacts are far more determinative than their skills. History is littered with examples. look no further than the tragic story of Bryan Fogarty who should have been a perrenial Norris finalist but couldn't keep his addictions and personal demons at bay. Their career - moreso than skating, shot, edges, etc. - are controlled more by their abilities to navigate these problems and temptations (something that none of us are in a position to judge or hypothesize since none of us are in their positions).

3. Save these posts that compare them until after they're over, or at least significantly lengthy where meaningful comparison can be made so you know wtf you're talking about, not trying to make a point based on what other peoples' opinions are.

The answer is stfu and enjoy what these guys bring to the league for hopefully the next 20 years.

/thread.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
This would be a valid argument if Michkov's draft season was an aberration on his career. Instead it was just another season of multiple examples where he statistically outperforms his historical competition at his given age.

At some point it becomes less "Michkov benefited from racking up point against Kunlun Red Star" and more "How does Michkov manage to consistently be the best player historically for his age in every league and every level that he plays in?
So you think Michkov is the best prospect to ever come out of Russia?
This is only stats based I assume?

Again, I love Michkov, and wish the habs drafted him. But why ignore every deficiencies in his game because he scores a lot? We should not talk about it and just ignore them?

We recently saw the same thing with Eiserman who broke the USNDT goal record. Other areas of your game like size, defensive play and character will impact the value of a player.

Reactions: Tanknation
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad