OT: Music discussion thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
images

Can you believe we're on a Kings message board talking about nu-metal and we didn't mention this band?

Definitely one of the best bands of the genre based on their first two albums.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Agree on all this. Incubus blew my mind the first time I heard the album SCIENCE! Make Yourself is also a great album, but just slightly behind that first release for me. It was very much an album that opened my mind to what music could sound like and be at a time when I needed it.

As I've grown I realized I gravitated to a lot of the more melodic nu-metal stuff. Where it wasn't just screams and growls. Sure some of that was fine at times (that first Slipknot album for example) but to me I always liked stuff like Incubus, Orgy, Cold, where it was a cleaner spund. Ultraspank and Spineshank on the heavier ends of the spectrum.

Deftones was definitely a band that has kind of outlasted all the others from that era.
Deftones are one of the greatest bands of all time. Linkin Park always felt cheesy to me, kinda a Filter ripoff with white kid raps over it. I'm a bit of a metal snob but i try not to desparage anyone's musical tastes. But I'm ready for LP to disappear from my algorithm again lol.

Oh yes, and agree SCIENCE is a masterpiece.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
To
I see your point and I think part of it was they came along at exactly the right time. They came up when the big style at the time was crunchy, ultra loud chug, chug guitar noise and screaming, yelling vocals.

Here was this band doing hard rock songs with clean vocals, lots of samples, and fairly crisp guitar sounds. LP was kind of unlike anything else commercially around at that time.

Compare them to the other big names in similar genres say Korn, Limp Bisquit, Deftones, Tool.

Linkin Park was really just a band with a sound for mainstream success at the right time, right place, with the right sound.

As far as keeping the name goes, it totally makes sense given the bands previous success. It's an instantly recognized name with years of known value built in. Why would you throw that out?
Tool is so much better musically than all of those bands. Lol

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
It's always weird to hear people talk about bands and people I knew or was friends with in high school. /namedropper /missedmywindow
Right? I’ll name drop knowing some folks from Pennywise, Korn and Kottonmouth Kings.

As far as LP goes I knew Chester through his son, albeit briefly. He was a very kind individual. I ached for his family when it happened.

Deftones were always too whiney for me, vocals killed it for me.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Definitely came along at the right time. Commercial success in art is all about timing.

I just feel like Linkin Park was a generic watered down rap/rock outfit that happened to have one really good vocalist. I don't think they added much to the genre.

Calling something "normie music" is pretentious, but that's exactly what LP is.

This isn't to take anything away from what they accomplished. Being in a band, touring, making and promoting music is super hard work. Whether I like it or not they made a classic and beloved album. I respect that.

Out of the late 1990's / early 2000's big bands of that type, I think Slipknot's first album holds up the best. Korn is strange. Their best stuff is cool and unique, but they also had a lot of bad cringy stuff. The entirety of the Deftones' catalog probably holds up the best, and they're still popular with young people to this day. I felt Incubus was very unique when they hit the scene and had very good musicianship. Always enjoyed Make Yourself (1999). All these bands are way more talented than LP.

And come on man, you gotta spell "Bizkit" right!
I love a music discussion as nobody is wrong as it’s so subjective. As I said I like LP, my son is 25 and loves them also. I’m proud he likes most of the stuff I do, he was raised on ‘The Chocolate Starfish….’.

He got me into Slipnot who I equally like and I agree with the mixed bag with Korn.

Have you checked out Rammstein? It weirdly works despite the language ‘issue’.

I am very much a self confessed ‘Stan’ though…. “Guess who’s back…”!

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
To

Tool is so much better musically than all of those bands. Lol
Another of my Hot Takes:
Sure, and maybe someday all that talent will let them make a fully great album of songs instead of the half songs, half nonsense they've been skating by on their whole career. :)

I don't need or want a recipe for deviled eggs in German ruining what is otherwise a really great 6 song EP.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
I’m not a fan of LP or that general genre, but acknowledge talent. When you have a charismatic voice leading a band and they leave or die, it’s very hard to rebrand. It can be done, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, etc., but it generally falls flat, INXS, Queen, Journey, etc.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If it ain’t Chester then there ain’t no point. It’s like buying an eco tech mustang. Don’t buy a mustang if you’re buying ecoboost. Some things aren’t meant to have a rebranding.

Apparently the chick is pretty wack with her actions. Kinda taints the memory.

Last edited:

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Maybe we could remove the Linkin Park reference in the title and turn this into one of our new threads. OT: Music discussion thread.

Reactions: tigermask48

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Agree on all this. Incubus blew my mind the first time I heard the album SCIENCE! Make Yourself is also a great album, but just slightly behind that first release for me. It was very much an album that opened my mind to what music could sound like and be at a time when I needed it.

As I've grown I realized I gravitated to a lot of the more melodic nu-metal stuff. Where it wasn't just screams and growls. Sure some of that was fine at times (that first Slipknot album for example) but to me I always liked stuff like Incubus, Orgy, Cold, where it was a cleaner spund. Ultraspank and Spineshank on the heavier ends of the spectrum.

Deftones was definitely a band that has kind of outlasted all the others from that era.
I wouldn't argue against anyone who feels S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is the best Incubus album. It's a bit rough around the edges. You can tell it's a young band trying to establish THIER sound. The immaturity of it has a certain appeal.

Make Yourself is more refined (both in terms of production and musicianship), but still has some of that youthful angst. Boyd and Einziger really came into their own on that record.

I like Morning View as well, but it was the beginning of the end. They started becoming a bland commercial rock band after that.

Stiches by Orgy was one of the coolest rock songs of that era. I always enjoyed when the music video would come on. Great concept. Nobody looked or sounded like them at the time.

Deftones have figured out the formula for staying "cool". Never getting too popular probably contributed to that. Chino's abstract lyrics have something to do with it as well IMO. It always give off the perception of being more artistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Butcher

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I like Morning View as well, but it was the beginning of the end. They started becoming a bland commercial rock band after that.
My best friend made a joke a few years ago that Incubus post Morning View and Hoobastank had just become a single crappy act called Incubastank... The two just became almost indistinguishable from each other even down to the lead singers looking similar.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Here’s one for the metal heads, Cannibal Corpse or Pig Destroyer. I honestly always leant more towards Pig Destroyer but I saw Cannibal Corpse live recently and they were f***ing awesome.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I love a music discussion as nobody is wrong as it’s so subjective. As I said I like LP, my son is 25 and loves them also. I’m proud he likes most of the stuff I do, he was raised on ‘The Chocolate Starfish….’.
I had no idea you were Sol's dad.

Have you checked out Rammstein? It weirdly works despite the language ‘issue’.
I've been a casual listener since 'Du Hast'.

Something about the German language when projected strongly in a very masculine voice sounds evil (gee I wonder why?). Makes it good for metal music. I'm surprised more German metal bands haven't found international success.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Going in a slightly different direction. Amaranthe were brilliant live. I saw them in KOKO, a small London (UK) venue where even the ‘ Stone played. Great venue, great gig.

I took my daughter to see Paramore last year at the 02 in London. My expectations were low but they were brilliant live.

Ed Sheeran at Wembley was awesome (even if I went with the now ex-wife). Bon Jovi were brilliant too.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Oh f@ck, we have another Amaranthe fan on here!?
Fan would stretching it… I went with my son who was into them at the time (his mate cancelled and he needed a driver!). However it was a great gig. They were supporting Powerwolf and stole the show.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Fan would stretching it… I went with my son who was into them at the time (his mate cancelled and he needed a driver!). However it was a great gig. They were supporting Powerwolf and stole the show.
You know of them, I'll take it. I saw them live maybe 8 years ago when they opened for Within Temptation and they weren't great, but that was before like half the band changed so they may be better live now.

Paramore is always good live and they really seem to know how to work a crowd and have fun. My wife has taken me to see them a couple of times.

My favorite live band is still Gogol Bordello, just huge energy, going all out all the time and sound great. They've fallen off after a handful of the older members quit the group.

Edit: Now that this is the music thread, is thos where we discuss Kendrick Lamar and his continued dunking on Drake?

Reactions: Statto

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
images

Can you believe we're on a Kings message board talking about nu-metal and we didn't mention this band?

Definitely one of the best bands of the genre based on their first two albums.
I Killed the Prom Queen on Spotify, one of the guys is wearing a Kings shirt.

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpeg
    IMG_3851.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: johnjm22

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
.Edit: Now that this is the music thread, is thos where we discuss Kendrick Lamar and his continued dunking on Drake?
Eh, it was amuwing at first. Eventually that stuff gets old to me.

You can only call someone an asshole so many times before the best choice is to block them. Like these forums!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

So I guess this is the new Linkin Park song with Emily that the OP was originally asking about?

When I was a kid my parents told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

So that tells you what I think about it.

I got 1:15 into it before I had to tap out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad