Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takumi3000

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I think you guys should all stop arguing about the struggles of Hughes right now. The entire team sucks at the moment. From Pettersson to Miller to Coach Green to Jim Benning. The players are not buying into any team system (maybe there isn't one?). Just wait until they get embarrassed some more which may finally force the owner's hand to swap in a new management team. The problems we are going through is so much larger than just one player.

Reactions: klozge

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Doesn't have Tanev this year to do the yeoman's work. Now he gets a revolving door of mediocre defensemen who can't handle the defensive duties. Benning thought his young core was ready to carry the team this year and let three quality vets go. It'll probably cost him his job too.
I just heard that Tanev has not been on the ice for 1 goal at even strength so far this year. Tanev and Markstrom kept Hughes defensive deficiencies to a noticeable minimum last year. Completely being exposed for the type of player he actually is. He has even said he is now 100 percent healthy. No lame injury excuses any more. In an interview a couple of days ago he said thinks he is playing well. He believes he is not bad at defense. That is a problem.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think you guys should all stop arguing about the struggles of Hughes right now. The entire team sucks at the moment. From Pettersson to Miller to Coach Green to Jim Benning. The players are not buying into any team system (maybe there isn't one?). Just wait until they get embarrassed some more which may finally force the owner's hand to swap in a new management team. The problems we are going through is so much larger than just one player.

You don't even have to look carefully. This thread is now a Makar circle jerk.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I just heard that Tanev has not been on the ice for 1 goal at even strength so far this year. Tanev and Markstrom kept Hughes defensive deficiencies to a noticeable minimum last year. Completely being exposed for the type of player he actually is. He has even said he is now 100 percent healthy. No lame injury excuses any more. In an interview a couple of days ago he said thinks he is playing well. He believes he is not bad at defense. That is a problem.

He's been playing fine considering he has no defensive partners so he's being asked to play two positions at once. Vancouver might as well play 4F1D because that's how it's been anyways

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Seriously. Funny to see Vancouver fans throw their own team under the bus to argue Hughes better than Makar. Last year it was "Makar plays on a better team," fully ignoring the fact that Hughes had all Vancouver's healthy stars in the lineup all year and the fact that they made it to game 7 of second round (just like the avs) while Makar helped keep the Avs afloat while everyone but Mackinnon was hurt frequently. This year, amazingly its "Hughes is missing Tanev and Markstrom from last year's team." Can't have it both ways. Many in Vancouver will say whatever they can to excuse Hughes's deficiencies and try to argue he's better than Makar. Saying Hughes is better than Makar is the definition of OVERRATED.
this happens all the time. price in montreal, lundqvist with the rangers. and if it's not the team, it's the coach or the gm.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He's been playing fine considering he has no defensive partners so he's being asked to play two positions at once. Vancouver might as well play 4F1D because that's how it's been anyways
i hope, you don't go with hughes as the 1D in that setting.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
i hope, you don't go with hughes as the 1D in that setting.
Why not? it's already how Benning built the blue line. As I stated before, if you put Makar or Heiskanen in the same position that Hughes is this thread would be about how they were overrrated

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He was bad in his own end last year, too, something I tried to express throughout the season. He’s weak in front of the net, his board play is non-existent, his positioning occasionally borders on ludicrously poor, but the thing that sets him apart is the lack of effort and how he shies away from contact. You cannot defend possession in this league without fighting for body and stick positioning.

The thing that’s new this year is how frequently he’s getting beat clean on the rush and getting caught behind the play or out of position in transition. I did not see that last season, and that’s something you can expect will correct itself and result in a significant improvement in his play; after all, he’s not getting intentionally deployed in defensive-zone situations.

Reactions: Kleefeld

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Every Van-MTL games they kept saying how good he was while showing clips of him getting blown by or falling down. :DD
I think he hasnt quite learnt the speed of the game on the defensive end. he will get there.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
This thread is full of Makar / Av fans. Its getting pretty pathetic at this point lol. 20 pages of Av fans.
It’s not just Avs fans. Check out other team threads after playing Canucks. Leaf fans crapping on Hughes after last game too and they only needed one game to understand how he is playing. I think it has to do with how Canucks fans all last year and even after Makar won the Calder still kept insisting Hughes got jobbed and was easily better. And now when it is obvious he is brutal defensively there are still some who can’t admit he is severely challenged defending.

Not to mention the talk of him one day soon winning the Norris. Overrated?
Time to close this thread.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
if this is such an open/closed case, why is there 20 pages of this. sheesh

Too many Quinn lover's who think he can do no wrong and a ton of haters who just gonna hate.
Because after he barely plays 16 minutes and still gets completely caved defensively you still have posters coming into the thread to move the focus to how he collected a PP assist.

No one with a brain is denying his elite offensive abilities.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
It’s not just Avs fans. Check out other team threads after playing Canucks. Leaf fans crapping on Hughes after last game too and they only needed one game to understand how he is playing. I think it has to do with how Canucks fans all last year and even after Makar won the Calder still kept insisting Hughes got jobbed and was easily better. And now when it is obvious he is brutal defensively there are still some who can’t admit he is severely challenged defending.

Not to mention the talk of him one day soon winning the Norris. Overrated?
Time to close this thread.
Only reason Norris is a discussion is because of the way the league is with points. He will never ever get a Norris off his d play. The NHL loves giving it to the #1 scoring Dman. Most of us fans think its Pejorative Slured but it is what it is.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Sweet Hughes with another assist!
Nice shot from the point. Even better tip by Boeser.

Hughes also would've gotten the primary assist on a sweet no-look backhand past to Miller but it was waved off-sided due to Hoglander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad