Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Based on THIS LIST he is very overrated.

Based on their impact throughout the decade if they were all in the same draft class in 2010. If that makes sense.
No Goalies
() = Draft position
2010 = 4 Players
2011 = 2 Players
2012 = 2 Players
2013 = 4 Players
2014 = 3 Players
2015 = 7 Players
2016 = 4 Players
2017 = 3 Players
2018 = 2 Players

1. McDavid (1)
  2. MacKinnon (1)
  3. Matthews (1)
  4. Kucherov (58)
  5. Eichel (2)
  6. Dahlin (1)
  7. Draisaitl (3)
  8. Barkov (2)
  9. Petterson (5)
  10. Marner (4)
  11. Heiskanen (3)
  12. Gaudreau (104)
  13. Hall (1)
  14. Jones (4)
  15. Seguin (2)
  16. Panarin (Undrafted)
  17. Monahan (6)
  18. Stone (178)
  19. Makar (4)
  20. Rantanen (8)
  21. Q. Hughes (7)
  22. Aho (35)
  23. Barzal (16)
  24. Chabot (18)
  25. McAvoy (14)
  26. Laine (2)
  27. Pastrnak (25)
  28. Point (79)
  29. Matt Tkachuck (5)
  30. Lindholm (6)
  31. Reilly (5)

Just Missed (in no particular order):

J. Hughes
Svechnikov
B. Tkachuck
Provorov
Werenski
Ekblad
Sheifele
Forsberg
Huberdeau
Landeskog
Kuznetsov
Tarasenko
Klingberg

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
We spent a year+ (covid extra months) having Hughes is better than Makar drilled into our heads because he played more games and had more points and we all knew and defended Cale saying it wasnt even close. The he dominates the Calder and we still hear chirping. Its nice to watch the truth come out.
Wow that must have been so tough for you. Really you have my sympathy.

A fanbase overrating one of their players does not mean that player is overrated. All fanbases overrate their players (see MacKinnon > McDavid, or Makar > McDavid at skating).

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Wow that must have been so tough for you. Really you have my sympathy.

A fanbase overrating one of their players does not mean that player is overrated. All fanbases overrate their players (see MacKinnon > McDavid, or Makar > McDavid at skating).

This is 15 pages of shitting on Hughes while we get nightly updates based on his most recent laughable game. But hey he got another assist last night barely doing anything while Miller sniped.

How is that even remotely close to MacKinnon and Makar? One has the most mvp votes over the last 4 seasons (more than McDavid). The other is the reigning Calder winner and current Norris winner if the season ended today.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Yeahhh, there are more than a handful of fanbases that would love to have "an overrated and struggling Quinn Hughes"

Comparing him to Makar and Heiskanen is a compliment. All those guys are absolute weapons and will only get better.

Quinn was supposed to be the professor to stomp the offensive and defensive skills of Makar & Heiskanen with his vision...

It hasn't been the best start of the season for Quinn.

McPoyle

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
How is that even remotely close to MacKinnon and Makar? One has the most mvp votes over the last 4 seasons (more than McDavid). The other is the reigning Calder winner and current Norris winner if the season ended today.
Its comparable as each player is overrated by their fanbase. Again, people arguing MacKinnon is better than MacDavid, or that Makar is a better skater than McDavid are overrating those players.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Its comparable as each player is overrated by their fanbase. Again, people arguing MacKinnon is better than MacDavid, or that Makar is a better skater than McDavid are overrating those players.
I do think there is a legit argument about MacKinnon > McDavid when you consider a complete game. Im pretty sure there are polls here and lists from professional analysts going both ways. So not sure how that is "overrated" when literally the hockey world is divided on the subject.

The Makar skating wasn't made by an Avs fan and I dont think many, if any, said yes. If anything they said apples to oranges type comparison.

Reactions: Aurinko

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He's playing D (in the sense he's a defenseman, not that he's elite defensively) at the NHL level as a 21 year old and putting up big points. On top of that, he wasn't even a top 3 pick. Canucks got extremely good value out of that pick and shouldn't care about how he's rated around the league. He'll probably figure out the defensive side by his mid-20's (maybe at the "expense" of some offense) and still be one of the top d-men in the league.

McPoyle

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
I do think there is a legit argument about MacKinnon > McDavid when you consider a complete game.

Like I said, fans overrate their players.

So not sure how that is "overrated" when literally the hockey world is divided on the subject.

Is this Trumps HF account?

"Many good people have being saying it, just listen."

Create a poll right now about who is best. You will get your answer. There is no divide other than the odd contrarian and homer Avs. McDavid's on pace for 100 in 56 games. MacK has never gotten 100.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Create a poll right now about who is best. You will get your answer. There is no divide other than the odd contrarian and homer Avs. McDavid's on pace for 100 in 56 games. MacK has never gotten 100.

At least Eichel has interesting opinions in his posts and not just trolls.

McPoyle

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
At least Eichel has interesting opinions in his posts and not just trolls.
Pointing out fans overrate their teams players isn't trolling. I think Avs fans flooding a 18 page thread about Hughes rough start to a season is trolling.

Yes Jack is a beacon of "interesting" opinions on this site, such as:

Top speed, sure, McDavid all day, but that doesnt require much skating skill. Pump your legs and go.

This is either being completely clueless or trolling.

Reactions: eviohh26

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
I swear HF posters just hit NHL.com every morning sort by the +- stat and start a thread shredding someone's defensive game. Real hard hitting hockey analysis we have here.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He is a young guy going through a rough patch but till producing offensively which is what he is, an offensive dman.

He is not a guy that is going to carry a team but another year or so and he is still a player every team in the league would want. (And I am saying this as a Oilers fan.)

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
He is a young guy going through a rough patch but till producing offensively which is what he is, an offensive dman.

He is not a guy that is going to carry a team but another year or so and he is still a player every team in the league would want. (And I am saying this as a Oilers fan.)
Going through a rough patch and still producing? No one here is questioning his offensive game. He's been absolutely fantastic at that. He's just gotten miles worse defensively and he wasn't good to begin with. Not sure you can offset shitty defense by still claiming he has good production.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I swear HF posters just hit NHL.com every morning sort by the +- stat and start a thread shredding someone's defensive game. Real hard hitting hockey analysis we have here.
No its first and foremost the eye test, but I swear HF posters must have some type of statistic to back up or prove any point they are trying to make. SEE Hughes supporters who only bring up the inconsequential power play points or secondary assists that are of course always brought up to PROVE that he is therefore better than Makar and everyone else for that matter.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
No its first and foremost the eye test, but I swear HF posters must have some type of statistic to back up or prove any point they are trying to make. SEE Hughes supporters who only bring up the inconsequential power play points or secondary assists that are of course always brought up to PROVE that he is therefore better than Makar and everyone else for that matter.

Lol and all these statistics are absolute fact until they need it to defend/attack a player they like/dislike and suddenly they are inconsequential. I get the eye test thing but the annoying thing is let's be honest most posters are only going to just watch their team regularly. In short i agree with you.

Reactions: Makar27

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
We spent a year+ (covid extra months) having Hughes is better than Makar drilled into our heads because he played more games and had more points and we all knew and defended Cale saying it wasnt even close. The he dominates the Calder and we still hear chirping. Its nice to watch the truth come out.

It's unfortunate that you let an internet message board affect your day to day life. Get some sun.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008

Im not hijacking this thread and making it all Avs. Ill leave these two here for my overrated players.

upload_2020-10-9_13-53-45.png
image0.jpg

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
It's unfortunate that you let an internet message board affect your day to day life. Get some sun.
Doesnt affect me at all. Its like if people said JT Miller was on the same level of Brayden Point. We'd all laugh at it, but the Nucks fans would still go nuts about it. It was laughable to everyone but them and nice to have definitive proof now, but theyll hang on to him "being off his game" as long as they can.

Heiskanen, lets have that talk all day with Makar. Hughes, just no.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
1 clickbait tsn ranking. Whoop de doo.

And not sure what expected goals vs unblocked shot attempts has to do with Makars skating.
Point of the TSN post is it is an argument. It isnt 100% McDavid slam dunk, done.

I still dont think anyone is arguing Makar is a better skater than McDavid. Did you read any of the responses in that thread?

Reactions: Makar27

McPoyle

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Point of the TSN post is it is an argument. It isnt 100% McDavid slam dunk, done.

I still dont think anyone is arguing Makar is a better skater than McDavid. Did you read any of the responses in that thread?
Yeah, odd contrarians and Avs homers will put Mack ahead. I've already said this several times.

One response in particular caught my eye:

but that doesnt require much skating skill. Pump your legs and go.

In regards to McDavids skating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad