How do you fix the Wings?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd pursue them in reverse order of what you have. Steady defense is most important.
I think Montour is probably a pipe dream, but he played 23 min a night what’s looking like the Cup winner, so no clue what you are trying to say here.

I’d pursue them in order of how talented I think they are, which IMO is how I had them.

That said, id be fine with any of the 3x. The more I look into Roy the more he looks like he could be a sneaky good pickup.

Reactions: jkutswings

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Montour is probably a pipe dream, but he played 23 min a night what’s looking like the Cup winner, so no clue what you are trying to say here.

I’d pursue them in order of how talented I think they are, which IMO is how I had them.

That said, id be fine with any of the 3x. The more I look into Roy the more he looks like he could be a sneaky good pickup.
Montour is more offensively flavored. It needlessly makes him more expensive than a guy like Roy who flies under the radar but with top shelf metrics. With Mo, Ed, ASP we don't necessarily need to pursue offensive skill to round out the blue line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Montour is more offensively flavored. It needlessly makes him more expensive than a guy like Roy who flies under the radar but with top shelf metrics. With Mo, Ed, ASP we don't necessarily need to pursue offensive skill to round out the blue line.

Yep. The offensive growth could come from our own prospects. They just need those steady vet partners to mentor and grow their overall game during the development years to glory.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ok I see what you mean, that’s fair. I would be fine going with either Pesce or Roy in that case.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Could we do both...? Shed some bad contracts to free up roster spots for a rookie or 2 and cap space to improve the team?

I'd like to see a true rookie up front and SE and Johansson on the back while simultaneously adding a legit top 6 forward and starting goalie

Yeah, I would bet Yzerman's ideal summer is a really busy one. Last season we seemed to focus on just making sure we have actual NHLers in the lineup instead of a third of the lineup being hopes and prayers.

This summer I hope we see them clean things up. Get a couple of top4 D, deal off whoever, bring in a few kids. fix the goalie situation. If we can still grab a forward, do that, too. Hopefully a very busy summer.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Rebuilding teams should have more youth, and we need to actually start playing more of our recent picks, because either they will be good for the Wings or the won't be. Most players that spend a long time in the AHL don't become really good top end NHL players. Most of the really good NHL players that spent time in the AHL, did well quickly in the AHL and forced their way up. If that means we drop a little in the standings, but the kids are learning and improving, that is much better, than maybe we make the playoffs or maybe we don't with vets leading the way. A player like ASP sounds like someone who needs longer seasoning to learn defensive hockey, but a guy like AlJo if thought of so highly shouldn't be waiting this long to even get some NHL games under his belt.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Most players that spend a long time in the AHL don't become really good top end NHL players.
Plenty of guys who spend a long time in SHL/KHL become good NHLers, so is the issue that AHL is a bad development league? It's certainly a weaker league than the other two, could that be the reason?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
AHL is tricky compared to those other two leagues. (IMO) The other two leagues are FILLED with younger players who don't have the plethora of other decent leagues to join (while young). On top of that, there are guys that are fringe/capable NHLer's that actually don't ever come across. They hold top talent a little better, and imo, players playing with more talented players develop their own game better.

In North America we've got lots of competitive semi pro, juniors, then the NCAA even. Most of these guys that can't crack the NHL will settle in the AHL, older around 22years+ old, kind of creating a stagnate pool of talent in their league with older players. Anyone really good will only be there a short awhile and long-term players will only be so good, and only so skilled. Example, Taro Hirose.

For most prospects, imo, it seems to be the league to see if you can stand the physicality, space, face-offs/special teams, and speed before the next bump up. Trying to draw up a younger players actual skill, skating, vision... idk if the AHL is the right league for someone like that to step into. Outside of goalie. Most younger players need to be a little polished, imo, stepping into that league with men that try to hurt you.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I agree on having more youth on the roster. Stevie seems to have taken the stance of you have to be able to play in the spot I see you playing long term or be out of waiver options before I'll keep you up. Example Ed was more than ready for a spot early on last season, but maybe not a top 4 spot. Stevie kept him down until he looked like he could just step into the top 4. Ray wasn't going to make the team until Vrana got hurt and opened up a legit top 6 spot for him.

I'm not entirely against this method, but you have to watch guys closely and make sure they aren't stagnating/ mentally checking out if you do this. Aljo and Ed sounded like they were both getting there towards the end of GRs regular season before Ed got called up.

As far as I'm concerned Ed, Aljo (as long as he doesn't look horribly overmatched), and at least one of Danielson, Kasper, Mazur should be on the team this upcoming season. Darkhorse is Soderblom making the team if he comes in and engages physically at camp.

I don't love the wait until they lose waiver eligibility bit because you need to really see a guy get 30-40 games before you can get an idea of what they can be. A lot of guys come in an kill it the 1st 10 games or so just based on adrenaline. You often clog up your pipeline doing this and young guys start to stagnate because they aren't getting that special teams development time.

I should clarify that some guys need a ton of development time, but those are usually lower picks. I'm not opposed to a guy like Lombardi or Soderblom playing a bunch of AHL games. Lombardi needs time to max out his physical development or he is unlikely to make the NHL. Soderblom had the size but needs to work on mentality and physical coordination to have a shot at the NHL. 1st and 2nd round guys though should not typically be maxing out their waiver eligibility in the AHL.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Who's going to be Seider's partner going forward? Was hoping Steve could make a trade to pull Theodore out of Vegas, but I think that a Theodore + trade with Toronto for Marner makes way too much sense for it not to happen. Seider/Chiarot seemed more steady this past season than 22/23, but I think we can all agree that's not the kind of dynamic top pairing we want. To me, this is one of the biggest questions we need answered in the offseason.

Nnowski

Jun 11, 2024
Who's going to be Seider's partner going forward? Was hoping Steve could make a trade to pull Theodore out of Vegas, but I think that a Theodore + trade with Toronto for Marner makes way too much sense for it not to happen. Seider/Chiarot seemed more steady this past season than 22/23, but I think we can all agree that's not the kind of dynamic top pairing we want. To me, this is one of the biggest questions we need answered in the offseason.
Seider is the kind of dman who shouldn't need an elite partner to be good. I think a Walman/Seider pair with reasonable deployment is still a good pairing. Hopefully Edvinsson can take some of the tough minutes, and we see a much more balanced system going forward

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Theodore would be a great addition.
Unfortunately we are the worst trading partner imaginable for Vegas. I can’t even dream up a tangible trade scenario.

Vegas is in the win at all costs stage. We have absolutely nothing to offer them for Theodore that could help. Reminds me of when we traded Primeau. We weren’t taking magic beans. Had to be an immediate NHL roster impact.

edit; I mean outside of Ray, Larkin, Seider and Ed (we would never include them). We have nothing to offer.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Unfortunately we are the worst trading partner imaginable for Vegas. I can’t even dream up a tangible trade scenario.

Vegas is in the win at all costs stage. We have absolutely nothing to offer them for Theodore that could help. Reminds me of when we traded Primeau. We weren’t taking magic beans. Had to be an immediate NHL roster impact.

edit; I mean outside of Ray, Larkin, Seider and Ed (we would never include them). We have nothing to offer.
Nothing to offer?!? What do you mean?

Jeff Petry's dad played for the Detroit Tigers! The TIGERS!!! With how often the broadcast crew keeps digging up that old nugget, it has to be tremendously valuable, right?

(Right?)

Reactions: GoBoltz56

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

The time they like buying, though, is during the season. I'm not sure we need to give them pieces that helps them win but stuff of value they feel they can flip later, or will allow them to move other pieces later (like maybe they are high on Wallander, and feel he give them the ability to move one of their other D later).

Reactions: Bench

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Jake Walman.

Reactions: raymond23

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Plenty of guys who spend a long time in SHL/KHL become good NHLers, so is the issue that AHL is a bad development league? It's certainly a weaker league than the other two, could that be the reason?

The ones that are good from Europe would likely spend a tiny bit of time in the AHL and then come up. If you send young prospect AHL players to KHL/SHL they aren't magically going to be better hockey players. And there really aren't that many from Europeans who spend a long time there that come here and are really good and the ones that do, were good enough before they got here. Most Euros that are good in the NHL but stayed over in Europe are staying not because they aren't good enough, but for many other reasons.

I also said really good, not guys that come here and can be regulars and put up 25-30 pts.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seider is the kind of dman who shouldn't need an elite partner to be good. I think a Walman/Seider pair with reasonable deployment is still a good pairing. Hopefully Edvinsson can take some of the tough minutes, and we see a much more balanced system going forward

I disagree. Walman is really a 4-6 guy so he shouldn't be playing top pair. Seider isn't Lidstrom who could take 5-7th D and make them passable, and that isn't a knock on Seider, simply that most D aren't Lids and able to keep fringe guys way higher up the lineup than they should be. I think Walman had a great start but his play has slipped quite a bit this past season, because he is playing out of his element.

Reactions: norrisnick

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 4