SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

DegeN9

Apr 24, 2017
WTF is up with these damn breaks between games? If there is a game 7.. We gotta wait 3 days? f*** this..
Cmon man don’t you feel for all those young millionaires. They have to *gasp* take a 7 hour flight! Oh the horror! They couldn’t even think of playing a hockey game right after that exhausting day on their private charter. As much as I think hockey players are tough in some ways, they are f***in soft in others. Money makes people soft….

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Pronger was dominant but the rest of the team deserves at least a bit of credit. Roloson was incredible for 3 rounds, Pisani was scoring at will, their defense as a whole was extremely stingy, and I think they won every faceoff they took those playoffs.
True enough.

Still, they talk about McD winning the CS even if they don't win the cup this year well Pronger should have won the CS that year even though they didn't win.

He got ripped off big time, he was hands down the best player of the playoffs that year, hands down.

I will go to my grave knowing that. He was completely dominant, as good a performance on defense as I have ever seen in the playoffs and I've been watching for close to 5 decades

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pronger was dominant but the rest of the team deserves at least a bit of credit. Roloson was incredible for 3 rounds, Pisani was scoring at will, their defense as a whole was extremely stingy, and I think they won every faceoff they took those playoffs.

I'm afraid if the Oilers lose they will be forgotten like the 05-06 team. That Oilers team had Peca and Stoll and probably only lost a handful of faceoffs (I'm exaggerating of course). Hemsky and Smyth were near prime. Roli was amazing. They often won by effort and shutting down opponents. The Hurricanes had vastly more offensive skill with Eric Staal, Justin Williams, Rod the Bod, and Erik Cole.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I'm afraid if the Oilers lose they will be forgotten like the 05-06 team. That Oilers team had Peca and Stoll and probably only lost a handful of faceoffs (I'm exaggerating of course). Hemsky and Smyth were near prime. Roli was amazing. They often won by effort and shutting down opponents. The Hurricanes had vastly more offensive skill with Eric Staal, Justin Williams, Rod the Bod, and Erik Cole.
if oilers lose they will be back in the next year, but if panthers lose oh my.. they wont be forgotted ever

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
You would still not have a proper world championships because tons of guys would still decline. after an 80 plus game season on a hard on your body sport like hockey almost no one is interested in playing in that thing every year.

get real, this isn't soccer.

Once the NHL stops sabotaging international hockey habitually, attitudes would change.

If the NHL season started in early September, as it should, the regular season would be over by March, which would give enough rest to the select few privileged to play for their country in May.

An even better solution, of course, would be a two-week break in the regular season every February, to facilitate a best-on-best tournament. Easily doable, as long as you start the regular season in the first week of September.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Once the NHL stops sabotaging international hockey habitually, attitudes would change.

If the NHL season started in early September, as it should, the regular season would be over by March, which would give enough rest to the select few privileged to play for their country in May.

An even better solution, of course, would be a two-week break in the regular season every February, to facilitate a best-on-best tournament. Easily doable, as long as you start the regular season in the first week of September.

What is the obsession with international tournaments? Dreadfully boring, pointless affairs. No thank you to interrupting the NHL season to accommodate one.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Right now the Oilers need one win to reset this series. After that, everything is possible.

Still doesn't change the reality of having to go to the emotional well 4 STRAIGHT TIMES. The odds are always against teams doing it.

He's already gone 9-0 lmao what's another 2 games?

Just the law if averages alone say the odds are against him.

Reactions: Macheteops

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Still doesn't change the reality of having to go to the emotional well 4 STRAIGHT TIMES. The odds are always against teams doing it.

Just the law if averages alone say the odds are against him.
It actually does.

Now it's 2-3, not 0-3. What teams have or haven't done from 0-3 doesn't matter. What matters is what teams have done from 2-3.

Oilers themselves have had a comeback from 2-3 this very playoffs. It's not a rare occurrence at all.

rdd8771

Jun 18, 2024
It actually does.

Now it's 2-3, not 0-3. What teams have or haven't done from 0-3 doesn't matter. What matters is what teams have done from 2-3.

Oilers themselves have had a comeback from 2-3 this very playoffs. It's not a rare occurrence at all.
That's not the right way to think of it though. If Oilers win that means they won 4 in a row. Not many teams sweep in the Finals so yeah you're wrong. There's a reason only one team has ever come back and won after being down 3-0.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Nuge, Drai, and Kane have been disappointing this series... and Kane has only played two games with a Sports Hernia. I think Nuge and Drai are trying to be fancy and don't think it's injury related.
Honestly Draisaitl must be hobbled by injury... his play is merely human at this point. OTOH all this time off might work to his advantage.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That's not the right way to think of it though. If Oilers win that means they won 4 in a row. Not many teams sweep in the Finals so yeah you're wrong. There's a reason only one team has ever come back and won after being down 3-0.
That is the right way to think about it.

If Oilers win that means they won 4 in a row.
But they ALREADY won 2 in a row. The chance of them winning 2 in a row is 100%. One. Hundred. Percent.

Refer to this:

Not many teams sweep in the Finals so yeah you're wrong.
That only matters BEFORE the first game has been played. Five have been played, so this stat is IRRELEVANT. The stats that are relevant at this point are ones where the series is 2-3 after 5.
There's a reason only one team has ever come back and won after being down 3-0.
Yes, because of two reasons:

1. Because winning 4 in a row is hard in case it's an even matchup

2. Because if they lost 3 in a row in the first place, it probably wasn't even an even matchup in the first place

Most of that data is irrelevant for this problem, and the sample sizes are too small to draw meaningful conclusions.

But let's assume that Oilers and Panthers are both as strong now. Oilers have a 25% probability of winning. Let's assume Oilers are actually a bit stronger and just got unlucky the first 3 games. Oilers probably have a 30% probability of winning. Consider Panthers are actually the favorites. Oilers probably have a 20% probability of winning.

That's the range we're moving around here. This "Once in 82 years"-stat is completely meaningless at THIS point in the series. 2-3 comebacks are routine. Even Oilers have done it before this very playoffs.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
If Panthers lose this series, they won't have another chance to win the cup again anytime soon. 2 finals in 2 years is quite an accomplishment. But that's a lot of hockey in 2 years and must be very exhausting. They won't be back next year. They should stay an above average team for the next few years, but real contenders? I don't know.

As for the Oilers, if they lose, they'll be back next year and should win it.

My point is....Oilers should let the Panthers win their cup and win theirs next year :sarcasm:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
More than not, there's one game within close series, that swings it either way. Afraid game-1 was that swing game: OIlers let decent opportunity slip through fingers. Gotta give major kudos to Panthers! They did what Championship caliber teams do >>> found way to win even when things aren't going so well (Great goalies help with all that). Signs of Championship caliber team = Overcoming bad play, beating slanted called game, can comeback no matter who, etc.. Oilers have Panthers on heals, but most of the pressure is still on Oilers who still have major odds to overcome.

When it comes to X's & O's = No expert and just use trends, methods, human traits while attempting to understand what works/fails. Only game 2 & 3 looked uneven this series. But after Oilers went down 0-3, Oilers have looked completely different. My guess, is after OIlers got into...... "Not to much left to lose" mode. This caused Oilers to play more aggressive, looser, and they stopped being so concerned with what Panthers might do. But Oilers started playing with...... "This is what we can do!" attitude and try to stop us now !!!! In the beginning of 1sr rd series: Lightning also played scared, tentative, and played more not to lose game -vs- Panthers. There's fine-line between showing opponent to much respect -vs- Continue playing way that got ya there. In 1str rd, after Lightning went down 0-2. They started attacking aggressively -vs- Panthers >> That kept Panthers from setting up great defensive structure each time. Lightning then got more looks, but didn't cash in those looks(Bob was so amazing that series). If Lightning with no depth left, and roaster full of new playoff blood could do this. Then Oilers, who are stacked & primed for Championship runs now. Should, and have been able keep Panthers on-their-heals. Equation seems to be >>> Stay more aggressive/loose -vs- Letting Florida set-up their D structure. Oilers will have legit chance if using aggressive blue-print. Easier said than done though, but OIlers have depth & talent to do this though.

Hope every fan of both fan-bases are enjoying the ride, that Championship runs give.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macheteops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad