Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Regarding Severson, I don't hate the player but do hate the contract. Looking back on it, it is the classic desperate move by a desperate GM trying to save his job. In the end he got fired and the organization got saddled with a crappy long term contract. The deal wasn't made with him walking out the door but it sure feels like an FU now.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He’s from Melville, SA which is a 5 hour drive to Winnipeg. I don’t see why he wouldn’t be interested in playing close to home. When he signed here, it was for the money and didn’t seem like location necessarily mattered.
It does not mean he was would play there.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Or could be Tarasov is #1 with Elvis the backup
Lot of money to spend on a back up that you are talking up that you can get headed in the right direction.

Frankly I think we do need to shake up goaltending but I don't know anything available is worth what it would cost to give up what we've got. Tarasov showed strongly at the end until he disappeared with another injury at the end of the season. I've also not heard Waddell even mention Tarasov once as far as I can recall.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'm not sure there's a team in the league that wants Elvis. Maybe if they heavily retained but that's an eventual buy out.

He either figures it out or is bought in the next offseason.

I'd imagine any deal with him leaving Columbus is going to be heavily retained or a real sweetener like Texier. Or both

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not sure there's a team in the league that wants Elvis. Maybe if they heavily retained but that's an eventual buy out.

He either figures it out or is bought in the next offseason.

I'd imagine any deal with him leaving Columbus is going to be heavily retained or a real sweetener like Texier. Or both
I think getting the right coach is a key in this. I feel like this is why Hartley makes sense of he is truly interested. Torts kept Elvis (and much of the rest of the team) in check. I think from his time with Latvia, Elvis has respect for Hartley. That could be a combination that works.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Just got around to listening to Waddell's presser, and it certainly doesn't appear that its going to be as active as Waddell was saying when he first got here. He talked about adding a depth forward and a defenseman. Didn't seem too interested in going out and making a big trade or anything like that. Talked about making initial negotiations with the RFA's, specifically the ones with arbitration rights, and getting that ground work started.

So yeah, I went from thinking this was going to be fireworks this offseason to a more restrained one. I think they'll make some moves, mostly regarding Laine, and maybe trading away some of the depth (like I could see Texier moved), as well as adding a 3rd pairing guy. But I think most of the effort is going to be placed in picking the right coach and getting that staff in place at the start of July rather than making big strides to improve the team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just got around to listening to Waddell's presser, and it certainly doesn't appear that its going to be as active as Waddell was saying when he first got here. He talked about adding a depth forward and a defenseman. Didn't seem too interested in going out and making a big trade or anything like that. Talked about making initial negotiations with the RFA's, specifically the ones with arbitration rights, and getting that ground work started.

So yeah, I went from thinking this was going to be fireworks this offseason to a more restrained one. I think they'll make some moves, mostly regarding Laine, and maybe trading away some of the depth (like I could see Texier moved), as well as adding a 3rd pairing guy. But I think most of the effort is going to be placed in picking the right coach and getting that staff in place at the start of July rather than making big strides to improve the team.
I think the bolded makes a lot of sense, Let Waddell hire a new coach(who presumably will assemble a solid assistant staff), let them put a good system in place and determine what is really needed and what we really have,

on the other hand if he trades Elvis I'm all for it.

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
Listened to the Athletic Podcast w Pronman. They did a live mock.

This was a predicted informed mock draft. Not “If I were a GM”

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Lindstrom

CBJ - I think Silayev could’ve made sense. I think the pick is Lindstrom. They get another big center behind Fantilli. If he’s not you get a big power winger. The question above all is the medical. That’s something we can’t account for. We don’t know how teams will view it. That search for the top of the lineup center. Fantilli could be it. We will see with Lindstrom as well. The skill level - the size - the meanness you can get with the both of them. That’s going to matter. They’re going to be a heavier team. They’ve got smaller players in their system. They’ve got good defensemen in their system. I think to me - could be the most impactful for their organization. They might have their top 2 Cs long term. Those two guys are their closest comps for each other in their respective draft classes. It’s almost fitting that those two guys are in that realm of possibility. The skating - the meanness - the physicality - quick twitch hands. They’re actually a lot alike in a lot of ways. That piece of it is really fascinating. The idea of having two like minded - similarly style - built players 1-2 down the middle. No guarantee for some that he will be a C but if he can be a C that’s a really exciting possibility down the line. I think watching Florida in the SCF only accentuates that.

Should preface this with saying this was recorded on Monday before the Dan Milstein showcase so it could’ve changed.

On Chicago pick / smoke - Scott Powers says names in consideration Silayev, Levshunov, Demidov, and Lindstrom. Sort of consensus…ish top 5 players in this draft. They’ve been one of the most traveled scouting groups. I think they will lean towards a guy they’ve seen live. Thinks it’s the live factor with lev giving it’s been like basically 20 + games this year of him alone at MSU apparently.

Anaheim - They’re a really tricky team to get a hold on. They’ve really built up that forward group. They’ve gotten rid of Drysdale for Gauthier. Fowler is reaching the tail end of his career. So I think they go D. I think Dickinson or Yakemchuk maybe. I’ll bet on the size of Silayev. They have Minty, Zelly, and Luneau. They need that shutdown D. Big nasty presence.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Is he cooked? Or can he still play? Because this would check a lot of boxes for leadership. Not sure he’s quite the shutdown guy we need but thought I’d bring it up.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Lot of money to spend on a back up that you are talking up that you can get headed in the right direction.

Frankly I think we do need to shake up goaltending but I don't know anything available is worth what it would cost to give up what we've got. Tarasov showed strongly at the end until he disappeared with another injury at the end of the season. I've also not heard Waddell even mention Tarasov once as far as I can recall.
Yep it is a ton of money but if you are keeping Elvis it is a likely scenario

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I think the Vegas D play is sign Martinez to a one year deal with the idea you trade him to Vegas or the Kings at the deadline. You let Bean walk.

You play the season with Werenski-Provorov-Martinez on the left side. Martinez can tell stories of Cup wins with the Kings and Knights.

You trade Provorov and Martinez at some point. This allows you to bring up two of Mateychuk, Svozil, Christiansen, or Zboril, or take somebody’s cap dump left D.

I expect the end of the next season will be about improving our draft position while evaluating young guys.
Zboril is an unrestricted free agent. Does Waddell plan on re-signing him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad