Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Think we can get Corey Perry here? We'll lose but at least it virtually guarantees we'll make the Stanley Cups Finals next season. :sarcasm:
There were rumors a few years ago that we inquired on signing him but he said no. I forget if that was when he went to Dallas or if it was when he went to Tampa, but iirc we were interested.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Why would we trade a two-way center for a winger when no one knows what he's going to look like in the NHL? Just because he knows the Michigan guys? Strange.
the shorter (and not 'strange') answer is that i'm pretty confident mcgroarty will be better than sillinger. i'm not the only one who thinks so.

even if you value them similarly, there are still other benefits to swapping sillinger for mcgroarty
  1. mcgroarty is about to start his ELC, sillinger is about to finish his
  2. sillinger's spot on the long-term depth chart seems murky (behind fantilli, jenner, voronkov and potentially lindstrom if they take him)
  3. mcgroarty is a leader in a michigan program with a winning culture, and iirc was the captain of the USA team at WJCs – he'd bring a winning pedigree to the room
mcgroarty's game + make-up actually reminds me a lot of boone jenner. this board loves to tell me that we don't have enough of those guys.
And it's not out of the question that Johnson will refuse to sign a new contract if they indicate they want him to play in the AHL for one season, even its part.
really getting ahead of yourself here assuming that a 10.2(c) RFA with zero leverage who is coming off of a down season + shoulder surgery would be in any position to make demands.

Reactions: majormajor

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Too bad we missed on Ulmark, for that price it would have made sense for us to be in on him. I understand not pulling the trigger as its wildly difficult to project any goalie behind our mess of a D corps. Regardless, we need an upgrade at Goalie to give this team a chance and if that is the price for Ulmark I can see some other options on the market hopefully.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
the shorter (and not 'strange') answer is that i'm pretty confident mcgroarty will be better than sillinger. i'm not the only one who thinks so.

even if you value them similarly, there are still other benefits to swapping sillinger for mcgroarty
  2. sillinger's spot on the long-term depth chart seems murky (behind fantilli, jenner, voronkov and potentially lindstrom if they take him)
  3. mcgroarty is a leader in a michigan program with a winning culture, and iirc was the captain of the USA team at WJCs – he'd bring a winning pedigree to the room
mcgroarty's game + make-up actually reminds me a lot of boone jenner. this board loves to tell me that we don't have enough of those guys.

really getting ahead of yourself here assuming that a 10.2(c) RFA with zero leverage who is coming off of a down season + shoulder surgery would be in any position to make demands.
1. Sillinger can play wing too.
2. He is a leader in NCAA, will be in the NHL? Btw, Kakko was a leader too.
---
You can say it to Johnson what he has to wants. 😎

Can't confirm but

What is he gonna get paid in UFA? Worth a sign and trade?

4th overall, KJ, Laine + for Drai?
Even if Edmonton would want him, Laine can have Edmonton on no-trade list.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
---
You say it to Johnson what he has to wants. 😎

Even if Edmonton would want him, Laine can have Edmonton on no-trade list.
He could, but I don't think he would be upset going to a Stanley cup contender to play with the greatest player of the generation lol

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Life is not only hockey.
Obviously. But most players play the game to win a cup, at a certain point, guys stop prioritizing all the other stuff and focus on winning a cup. Laine has an opportunity that most guys in the NHL don't get until he's a FA. He has 2 years left on his deal and then he can pick wherever he wants to go.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Obviously. But most players play the game to win a cup, at a certain point, guys stop prioritizing all the other stuff and focus on winning a cup. Laine has an opportunity that most guys in the NHL don't get until he's a FA. He has 2 years left on his deal and then he can pick wherever he wants to go.
There is no trade list some players of Seattle Krakens (from one fan of Krakens, don't ask me his source, I don't know it). ⤵️

Bjorkstrand - 7 Canadian teams + Buffalo, Columbus, Los Angeles
Burakowski - 7 Canadian teams + Washington, Buffalo, Colorado
McCann - 7 Canadian teams + Buffalo, Florida, Pittsburgh
Tanev - Calgary, Pittsburgh, Vancouver, Winnipeg + 6 the worst teams
Gourde - Montreal + 22 the best teams except Tampa

Oleksiak - 15 West teams + Pittsburgh
Larsson - 7 Canadian teams + Florida, Buffalo, New Jersey
Dumoulin - 7 Canadian teams + Buffalo, Carolina, Pittsburgh

Grubauer - 7 Canadian teams + Colorado, Washington, Buffalo

So, MacDavid doesn't help Edmonton to get players, 7 players don't want to play there. 😎

Btw, interesting, except Bjorkie, what is understandable, players don't have Columbus on their no-trade list, on the other side Buffalo 6x, Pittsburgh 4x, Colorado 2x, Florida 2x, Washington 2x, Carolina, New Jersey, Los Angeles and New Jersey 1x, if only American teams. 🤔

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
you're focusing on the tangential benefits rather than the primary rationale for making the move, which, i'll reiterate, is that i believe mcgroarty will be better than sillinger.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I'm just going to say that I have long been running out of interesting potential narratives to hold my attention, and Sillinger As A Lifetime Jacket is arguably the last one I have left. I've already lost Blanks. I've already thoroughly lost Latvian Duo (#80 z''l). The Hugs will never ever return. Laine Resurgence is just about impossible at this point. Everyone I've liked save Boone has been traded away and folks are still trying to force him out, and anyone I start to identify as interesting immediately gets singled out as representative of Everything Wrong With The Franchise Unless We Immediately Move This Guy. My most recent attempt to see if a Bob legacy can be recreated is going down in flames. And I can't unreservedly get behind the Michigan Man thing in general because I'm a committed lifelong third-generation Buckeye, nor the Siberian Line or any of the other Russians because that f***ing asshat Provorov, and so my heart just isn't in either of them and I'm mostly just going through the motions on both.

Please don't take the last of my hopes and dreams away from me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I guess I'm jumping in mid-discussion, but everything you appear to be describing in McGroarty sounds very similar to Sillinger. My counter point(s) would be:

1) Sillinger is 10 months older than McGroarty, but we have 3 years of actual NHL data to pull from.
2) Why is McGroarty's spot on the depth chart any less murky than Sillinger? To me it's more murky as he has yet to plan a NHL game and we don't know if he's a center or a wing. Sillinger is clearly a center and has done so at the NHL level.
3) Sillinger is also considered a leader and at one point a potential future captain. Not sure what has changed

McGroarty has the same knock that Sillinger does...his skating. I happen to like both players and would love to get McGroarty here, but I still do not understand why Sillinger continues to get the push out of here like he does. He plays a heavy game, has size, has shown dramatic improvement after his sophomore slump. To me, when comparing the two, this is a shiny toy phenomenon as we have zero evidence that McGroarty will be the better player. Similar size, pedigree, faults and positives. Just my opinion but swapping the two seems like a step backwards to me. I'd rather add more "Boone" types than just swap one for another.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
NYR fan here in peace.
what say ye:
kakko, lindgren rights, 30OVR
for
provorov. voronkov, lak 3rd

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Which ELC/RFA fwd would be tolerable in a Lindgeen Kakko 30OVR - Provorov/____ deal?

thanks yall

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Which ELC/RFA fwd would be tolerable in a Lindgeen Kakko 30OVR - Provorov/____ deal?

thanks yall
Just my opinions here, so take them with a grain of salt...

I don't personally believe that Lindgren is a player that the Blue Jackets would want to give up one of their young forwards for. He does fit the bill of a veteran defensive LD that's a heart and soul leader kind of guy. But his underlying numbers are not terrific, as I recall. If they were interested in him, though, I'd suspect that they'd rather give up a pick or one of the young defensemen (Boqvist or Bean with complementary picks) for him than one of their young forwards. I think if the young forwards are moved, it's going to be part of a quantity-for-quality trade.

Columbus is probably not the right place for Kakko, as they already have a lot of young wingers. I don't see a spot for him.

What is the central piece that you're after here? If it's Provorov, I'd guess that he could probably be had at 50 % retained for the #30 pick.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
NYR fan here in peace.
what say ye:
kakko, lindgren rights, 30OVR
for
provorov. voronkov, lak 3rd
Not remotely interested in that deal, but I'd take Trouba for Provorov straight up, and I think there's a good chance Trouba would waive to come here. One of the top neuroscience hospitals in the region is right here in Columbus, not to mention the top cancer research hospital east of the Mississippi at OSU (so potentially of interest to both his wife and his mother). Close to his Michigan family. More anonymity and less criticism. Would require Columbus to make room on the right side, but that can be done or just move Severson over to his offhand which he can do reasonably well, but the team could use the snarl and if he's a Jacket, he's not trying to injure Jackets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not remotely interested in that deal, but I'd take Trouba for Provorov straight up, and I think there's a good chance Trouba would waive to come here. One of the top neuroscience hospitals in the region is right here in Columbus, not to mention the top cancer research hospital east of the Mississippi at OSU (so potentially of interest to both his wife and his mother). Close to his Michigan family. More anonymity and less criticism. Would require Columbus to make room on the right side, but that can be done or just move Severson over to his offhand which he can do reasonably well, but the team could use the snarl and if he's a Jacket, he's not trying to injure Jackets.
I honestly legit believe Provorov is a more effective shutdown blueliner than Trouba at this point in their respective careers.

Reactions: Xoggz22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad