Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Am I the only one who absolutely does not give a flying **** who we pick between Marner, Strome and Hanifin?

They're all ridiculously good prospects that would go 1st, maybe 2nd overall in most drafts. I'm just excited for draft day because of the other picks as well as potential trades.
Nah, if we walk away with one of those three I'll be pretty damn happy no matter what. All fantastic young players and hard to feel bad about giving the prospect pool a boost with one of them.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
It's Hanifin man of course I am confident. He is the Eichel of Dmen. Our very own Ekblad how can you not say yes to that? I mean it's that or scrawny little Grabovski..Marner. Strome is a good second choice. Marner is a speedy little reckless dangler waiting for his head to get knocked off.

Add. Flip years and I would take Nylander over Marner 10/10.

This post will lok silly in the years to come:nod::laugh:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Wow Hannifin so low on Craig Buttons rankings. I k ow it's only one opinion but has to make you think.
It makes me think Button needs a controversial ranking for a top prospect in order to get attention. If he was more in line with everyone else he wouldn't be mentioned at all.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It makes me think Button needs a controversial ranking for a top prospect in order to get attention. If he was more in line with everyone else he wouldn't be mentioned at all.

I don't agree. Button has some pretty ridiculous rankings, but he doesn't do it for the attention. He makes his list based off of who he thinks will be the best NHLer.

Haven't you ever seen teams leaked draft lists? They are usually pretty ridiculous too if you compare them to the consensus rankings.

Fact is Button is one individual scout, not an agency or a consensus. So yeah his lists aren't like all the others, they are just one scouts opinion.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
i've always thought Button was a bit of a chooch and his rankings for traffic but haven't actually looked back and see how they translate to the actual draft or nhl production of the players

I checked last years

he had Virtanen 43rd!
Adrian Kempe 10th
Vlad Kamenev 12th....he went 42nd
Brayden Point 17th ...he went 79th lol

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Wow Hannifin so low on Craig Buttons rankings. I k ow it's only one opinion but has to make you think.

Although I don't doubt he's genuinely not a huge fan of Hanifin, always remember, he's a media guy - the more controversial his list is, the more hits it'll get, the more public attention he receives, ect.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
i've always thought Button was a bit of a chooch and his rankings for traffic but haven't actually looked back and see how they translate to the actual draft or nhl production of the players

I checked last years

he had Virtanen 43rd!

Not really wanting to defend Button too much as I'm very sceptical to the way he goes around making his lists, but if you want to judge him you should go back further.

For example, if Point turns out really well then that's clearly a point in his favor as his evaluation was closer to the future value of the player compared to how most teams felt.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

I checked last years

he had Virtanen 43rd!
Adrian Kempe 10th

see how it turns out with those guys i guess.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Was. Looking back, 2012 iis as far as I could ffind

He had Murray at 9th (actually arguable)....Finn 8th! Hope he's right :)

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Who knows I never saw enough of Hanifin myself. Not nearly as much as I have of Marner or Strome. I can say this tho, I can see Marner becoming a Star in the NHL not too sure about the other two.

People like to look at comparable, like the Hanifin is the next Nick Lidstrom bla,bla,bla. If he was the next Lidstrome why is he not in consideration for the top pick? I was never a huge Hanifin fan, haven't seen much of him only what people on HF and some random scouts have said. For a top prospect there is little footage on him that I can find anywhere. He's also dropped from 3rd to 5th on the iss may rankings.

Strome compared to Thornton, when the only real similarities I see in them is they are both big centers. Joe was big mean and took no **** also skilled as hell. Strome is skilled but he tries to dangle through crowds too much and has questionable skating and drive on the defensive end, he's no where as near as nasty as Joe was/is. But he's still one of the best prospects in the draft. Strome has moved up to 3rd from 4th on the rankings.

Marner compared to Patrick Kane, both are elite level fast and have flashy skills but Patrick was elite offensively gifted not many have done in the OHL what he did his draft year. comparable in play styles maybe I still think Mitch is a better 2 way player at the same age and maybe a little more of a pitbull after a bone with out the puck. Marner has moved down from 4th to 6th?

Crouse has taken over 4th on the ISS May rankings, he's got potential and I honestly haven't seen a lot of him to comment on weather or not he's deserving of being picked that high. Most lists had him around the 7th spot or lower.

Not really sure what has made the rankings change so much over the last month, but I am sure come June it would have all changed quite a bit again. Who knows, Would be good If the leafs could get another

Regardless the rankings I still believe Marner is the guy Toronto should be looking at as their first choice on D-Day. I never trusted the NCAA, though some good players have come out of that system over the years, they never really seem to turn into the elite players they were projected to be. It's also another reason I still hold my reservations about Eichel. But who knows it's just how I view the NCAA system others may hold it much higher then I do, like I said they have turned out some good players, but elite?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
How laughable these rankings are where Lawson is ahead of Hanifin, Marner, Provorov, Barzal and so on. This guy shouldn't even be top 10

Mark my word he is not going to be a top 5 - there is no reason to give any credibility to these rankings

We all know that McDavid, Eichel, Strome, and Marner are all high end picks. I don't what other posters have to say, but this is ridiculous

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Who knows I never saw enough of Hanifin myself. Not nearly as much as I have of Marner or Strome. I can say this tho, I can see Marner becoming a Star in the NHL not too sure about the other two.

People like to look at comparable, like the Hanifin is the next Nick Lidstrom bla,bla,bla. If he was the next Lidstrome why is he not in consideration for the top pick? I was never a huge Hanifin fan, haven't seen much of him only what people on HF and some random scouts have said. For a top prospect there is little footage on him that I can find anywhere. He's also dropped from 3rd to 5th on the iss may rankings.

Strome compared to Thornton, when the only real similarities I see in them is they are both big centers. Joe was big mean and took no **** also skilled as hell. Strome is skilled but he tries to dangle through crowds too much and has questionable skating and drive on the defensive end, he's no where as near as nasty as Joe was/is. But he's still one of the best prospects in the draft. Strome has moved up to 3rd from 4th on the rankings.

Marner compared to Patrick Kane, both are elite level fast and have flashy skills but Patrick was elite offensively gifted not many have done in the OHL what he did his draft year. comparable in play styles maybe I still think Mitch is a better 2 way player at the same age and maybe a little more of a pitbull after a bone with out the puck. Marner has moved down from 4th to 6th?

Crouse has taken over 4th on the ISS May rankings, he's got potential and I honestly haven't seen a lot of him to comment on weather or not he's deserving of being picked that high. Most lists had him around the 7th spot or lower.

Not really sure what has made the rankings change so much over the last month, but I am sure come June it would have all changed quite a bit again. Who knows, Would be good If the leafs could get another

Regardless the rankings I still believe Marner is the guy Toronto should be looking at as their first choice on D-Day. I never trusted the NCAA, though some good players have come out of that system over the years, they never really seem to turn into the elite players they were projected to be. It's also another reason I still hold my reservations about Eichel. But who knows it's just how I view the NCAA system others may hold it much higher then I do, like I said they have turned out some good players, but elite?

Your calling now Thornton a nasty player ???
If joe Thornton was nasty, he'd be going down in history as one of top players in history, right up there with Forsberg, Lemieux etc ... And he'd probably have his name etched into the cup by now.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

No one has called Hanifin the next Lidstrom. The way he thinks the game, controls the game, and makes almost no mistakes, gives him the Lidstrom comparison. You have never seen him, but you don't like him? You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. He is a very special player, and any team picking him will do very well. Same can be said about Marner and Strome.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Might want to look at a particular Chicago defenceman in the playoffs that came from that program. Not elite at all.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Your calling now Thornton a nasty player ???
If joe Thornton was nasty, he'd be going down in history as one of top players in history, right up there with Forsberg, Lemieux etc ... And he'd probably have his name etched into the cup by now.
He's not nasty, but is more intense. Thornton stick work is probably one of the best among big men. I just don't see that with Strome.

As I said earlier, Strome is a John Tavares-type. Once he breaks out, he'll be the best in the game at lower speed regimes. I think he'll be a +30-goal scorer with possible higher upside. A PPG centre who challenges the best.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Anyone have any idea what Carolina is up to? Are they rebuilding, retooling or just planning to suck like the Oilers till they strike gold?

We need to try to get another top 7 pick somehow...trade JvR or Kessel. This draft can change our fortune.

Any combination of Marner/Hanifin/Strome + Barzal/Provorov/Werenksi is a home run and will go a long way.

I really want Kessel traded for a good return at the draft. I like the guy and think he's going to light up the league on a better team but we need to find a way to get assets back ASAP so they are developing.

If Jordan Staal fetched an 8th overall pick plus...Kessel should easily fetch 5th-7th pick, a roster player and a decent prospect. Kessel's worst years are better than Staal's best.

If we get the 5th pick, we can get two of Hanifin/Marner/Strome and just end the debate of who we prefer.

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014
Since Carolina wants size, if ARIZ goes with stromer at 3, and we take Hanifin, how hard is it to trade for that 5th pick?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bob Mckenzie on TSN drive said if the decision was Marner or Hanifin at 4. He has no proof of this but if he were a betting man, he said Leafs would pick Marner.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Bob Mckenzie on TSN drive said if the decision was Marner or Hanifin at 4. He has no proof of this but if he were a betting man, he said Leafs would pick Marner.

Yeah I'm thinking we're coming out of this draft with Marner. Either way, we will be adding another major building block alongside Nylander in the pipeline.

Hope is they somehow add another top 10 pick.. Read that McKenzie has said there is a consensus top 11 in this draft, and then it sort of goes all over the place.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Yeah I'm thinking we're coming out of this draft with Marner. Either way, we will be adding another major building block alongside Nylander in the pipeline.

Hope is they somehow add another top 10 pick.. Read that McKenzie has said there is a consensus top 11 in this draft, and then it sort of goes all over the place.

We have to give freddy kreuger or sandman some money...and make shero dream of getting kessel for the top 6 pick. We draft barzal and cry tears of joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad