Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bob Mckenzie on TSN drive said if the decision was Marner or Hanifin at 4. He has no proof of this but if he were a betting man, he said Leafs would pick Marner.

Look around the league. If we don't have an elite D (admittedly Rielly may be down the line) then we won't be contending. A true Elite D like a Lidstrom or Pronger can elevate forwards and change a teams fortunes. If Hanifin has the best chance of being that guy you take him.

Reilly Hanifin Gardiner is a good start. Nylander will likely be a good C and if we get in that top 12 with a Kessel trade we have other good forward options on the board.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Your calling now Thornton a nasty player ???
If joe Thornton was nasty, he'd be going down in history as one of top players in history, right up there with Forsberg, Lemieux etc ... And he'd probably have his name etched into the cup by now.

Joe Thornton was pretty scrappy coming up through jr and he's a pretty decent fighter for such a talented guy. Yup I think he's much more nasty or maybe chippy then Strome ever was or ever will be.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
No one has called Hanifin the next Lidstrom. The way he thinks the game, controls the game, and makes almost no mistakes, gives him the Lidstrom comparison. You have never seen him, but you don't like him? You are most certainly entitled to your opinion. He is a very special player, and any team picking him will do very well. Same can be said about Marner and Strome.

I said I don't trust NCAA players.. Have you seen him? I bet there are a lot of people on here who have never seen Hanifin play, have you other then the odd clip you see online here and there? My guess is most people are in my shoes and get most their info off other HF posts, and a few odd clips around the net.

Um people compare Strome to Thornton because of his style he tries to play. Most people compare Marner to a Gilmour/Kane hybrid because of the way he plays the game.

If people compare hanifin to Lidstrome because of the way he plays the game then yes they are setting that expectation. All I am saying is a lot of people are saying we should pick Hanifin over Marner and Strome because of what other posters say. If you haven't seen the guy play how can you give an honest evaluation of him? because some people read stuff about him. How many scouting reports have we seen or heard that were maybe not as accurate as we first thought?

I am by no means saying he's a bad prospect he'll he may turn out to be the next Lidstrom but I just don't trust NCAA players, there seems to always be a lot of buzz and not as much fizz as everyone expected.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I said I don't trust NCAA players.. Have you seen him? I bet there are a lot of people on here who have never seen Hanifin play, have you other then the odd clip you see online here and there? My guess is most people are in my shoes and get most their info off other HF posts, and a few odd clips around the net.

Um people compare Strome to Thornton because of his style he tries to play. Most people compare Marner to a Gilmour/Kane hybrid because of the way he plays the game.

If people compare hanifin to Lidstrome because of the way he plays the game then yes they are setting that expectation. All I am saying is a lot of people are saying we should pick Hanifin over Marner and Strome because of what other posters say. If you haven't seen the guy play how can you give an honest evaluation of him? because some people read stuff about him. How many scouting reports have we seen or heard that were maybe not as accurate as we first thought?

I am by no means saying he's a bad prospect he'll he may turn out to be the next Lidstrom but I just don't trust NCAA players, there seems to always be a lot of buzz and not as much fizz as everyone expected.

Lets clear this up. Very few people are qualified to evaluate anyone.

Hanifin is Consensus #3 of Pro scouts. Even if I had no brains and no idea who the heck he is at all, I would be making the most educated decision. This is even superior to buying on consumer reviews or the like.

Do you have any idea how rare it is to have so many scouts all placing a single player in a certain spot? It means there are little question marks.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Look around the league. If we don't have an elite D (admittedly Rielly may be down the line) then we won't be contending. A true Elite D like a Lidstrom or Pronger can elevate forwards and change a teams fortunes. If Hanifin has the best chance of being that guy you take him.

Reilly Hanifin Gardiner is a good start. Nylander will likely be a good C and if we get in that top 12 with a Kessel trade we have other good forward options on the board.

This can literally be said about any position in the game :laugh:, most contending team's even have elite wingers or at a bare minimum "elite" depth at all positions. Show me a team who contends without "elite" centers or center depth.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This can literally be said about any position in the game :laugh:, most contending team's even have elite wingers or at a bare minimum "elite" depth at all positions. Show me a team who contends without "elite" centers or center depth.

Traditional point getting Elite forwards? Boston and LA are a couple. Bergeron and Kopitar are not Crosby or Malkin. Both teams have real deal elite D though coincidentally.

Had either of those teams not won a cup and were out in the 1st round routinely with current points we would not even call them Elite.

That would be left for Crosby, Toews Tavares Stamkos Ovi etc.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Distant relatives who live in Boston, have spoken about him for several years; he has also been talked about in scouting circles for a few years as well. Sadly I have not seen him myself, going by the words of others. Nothing wrong with anyone's opinions on these great prospects, like anything, some have preference over others. Time will tell, but the fact remains, the Leafs will very likely get a great player. But will it be the right one??

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

If Hanifin is available at 4, he is the correct pick.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Marner is no doubt a special player yoou could see him and nylander fitting in to TB

Hanifin is compared to Mcdonough so obviously can't go wrong either way

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How can you even buy this argument - Hunter and his team is going to put team's interest before any thing else and if they are selecting Marner then it's because of his skill set and not because of any connections

We should not question their integrity

Hanifin is the better pick, he has been #3 all year. Mckenzie said he is the closest thing to a franchise D man that there is, this draft. If Leafs pass on this, it is natural to wonder if the London connection was the cause of this.

We are talking about an elite franchise D man in Noah Hanifin here. He is the correct pick.

BTW no one was questioning Hunter's integrity.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
because people want to have their 'I can't believe they drafted_____" armed and ready when they don't like a pick that Hunter's made. but this time it will be

"No experience slash only drafting OHL/London people."

it's rather sad and pathetic really.

I would say, this is rather a sad presumption on your part. Are you questioning my integrity here Daisy Jane? Please explain?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Karlsson is a Norris candidate because he puts up points.

He makes Kessel look like Chara in the defensive end.

Hanifin is closer to Doughty than Karlsson. I am very sure the majority of GM's in the NHL would take Doughty over Karlsson if they want to win a Cup. And not Norris Trophies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Like the poll results are showing, Marner and Hanifin are about dead even. I'd prefer Hanifin slightly because I want our team to make more of a commitment to defensive play which we haven't done in an awfully long time.

With Marner, he will highlight our dynamic offense. I know he's great in the defensive end too, but with Hanifin, we are building an impressive backend that'll possibly be able to defend against the intense offensive firepower of the East. There will be more of a commitment to defense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
because people want to have their 'I can't believe they drafted_____" armed and ready when they don't like a pick that Hunter's made. but this time it will be

"No experience slash only drafting OHL/London people."

it's rather sad and pathetic really.

If 8 of 10 scouts have Hanifin at 3 and we take Marner at 4 leaving him on the table, I would be asking the same question and be raising a brow.

High Potential Elite D are rare. Nylander is in the same category as Marner IMHO. If Kessel brings back 5-10 and Marner is there, by all means.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Hanifin is the better pick, he has been #3 all year. Mckenzie said he is the closest thing to a franchise D man that there is, this draft. If Leafs pass on this, it is natural to wonder if the London connection was the cause of this.

We are talking about an elite franchise D man in Noah Hanifin here. He is the correct pick.

BTW no one was questioning Hunter's integrity.

Arizona is not going to pick Hanifin, and after that Marner is the BPA (no disrespect to Strome), but if we keep on playing the connection card then we are questioning the integrity of management

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Arizona is not going to pick Hanifin, and after that Marner is the BPA (no disrespect to Strome), but if we keep on playing the connection card then we are questioning the integrity of management

BPA because you say so while the majority of scouts say Hanifin?

Sound fishy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If 8 of 10 scouts have Hanifin at 3 and we take Marner at 4 leaving him on the table, I would be asking the same question and be raising a brow.

High Potential Elite D are rare. Nylander is in the same category as Marner IMHO. If Kessel brings back 5-10 and Marner is there, by all means.

Thank you. You just don't pass on Hanifin unless there is something peculiar going on.

Hanifin 3rd and is rated higher than Marner on every reputable draft list with the exception of Button who is the lone wolf contrarian as usual.

You just don't pass on him if he is there at #4.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I don't get why people are saying this. Of course they're going to pick Hanifin. Hanifin is the overall consensus 3rd overall pick. Their GM would have to be idiotic to take someone else.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Judgment. Not Intregrity. Look at the posts above.

Have you seen the draft lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad