Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's great news. I want Hanifin in a major way. This guy is going to be our captain in a few years. Then we need to find a legit first line center with our pick at 24, just in case we don't get Stamkos. :D

Nylander has 1C potential as well. Kadri 2nd, Gauthier 3C. Hanifin would legitimize the back end. Then we add guys like Sprong or whomever BPA + additional picks and shape up the team.

Going potential elite D is the way to go if we are serious about going for a cup.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If we took Hanifin 4th. Who of the followig would you trade 1 for 1 for Marner?

JVR
Kessel
Kadri
Nylander
Rielly

Every single one of them. I'd only want to keep Rielly because he's the only defenseman we have with top 2 potential imo. In terms of who I think who will be the best player, Marner would be in the forefront of that group.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

JVR
Kessel
Kadri
Nylander
Rielly

JVR & Kessel for sure. Kadri I would trade too, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

Nylander and Rielly I would keep.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Preference of picks at 4 and 24:

1. Noah Hanifin & Colin White
  2. Mitch Marner & Vince Dunn
  3. Noah Hanifin & Jeremy Bracco
  4. Noah Hanifin & Denis Guryanov
  5. Mitch Marner & Colin White
  6. Mitch Marner & Jeremy Bracco
  7. Mitch Marner & Denis Guryanov
  8. Noah Hanifin & Vince Dunn

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
McKenzie: "Coyotes very high on Strome"

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/mckenzie-coyotes-very-high-on-strome-1.294169

Agreed... I started this thread right after the lottery...That was my first thought and I still think they take him...Hence the Marner or Hanifin question for Leafs fans.

Listen to the whole thing, didn't hear Mckenzie say the Coyotes were very high on Strome at all. Maybe I missed it? Regardless hopefully this is true. Leaves Hunter with the tough decision of Marner or Hanifin. An amazing problem to have.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Nylander has 1C potential as well. Kadri 2nd, Gauthier 3C. Hanifin would legitimize the back end. Then we add guys like Sprong or whomever BPA + additional picks and shape up the team.

Going potential elite D is the way to go if we are serious about going for a cup.
Marner is going to be the elite talent that doesn't have the "look" of a great two-way top centre. Instead, he'll demonstrate it on the ice and be entering a realm that's not far from McEichel.

That said, I think Kadri has #1C upside. The same can be argued for Nylander. Nevertheless, I'd that think that if Marner was available, any of our current pieces ought to be made available. That most certainly includes Rielly - despite his upside - as well.

Hanifin, however, looks like BPA ( slight edge) to me. The way he thinks the game is unrivaled and he's got an insane offensive arsenal to boot. He is going to be franchise defenceman that offers a defensive presence that most in the NHL never possessed at the age of 18.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I'm hoping ARZ takes Marner or Hanifin, and we take whoever is left... Strome goes #5.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I'm hoping ARZ takes Marner or Hanifin, and we take whoever is left... Strome goes #5.

It sounds like Arizona might take Strome.

That would be more beneficial for us. We would have our pick of Marner or Hanifin.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Marner is going to be the elite talent that doesn't have the "look" of a great two-way top centre. Instead, he'll demonstrate it on the ice and be entering a realm that's not far from McEichel.

That said, I think Kadri has #1C upside. The same can be argued for Nylander. Nevertheless, I'd that think that if Marner was available, any of our current pieces ought to be made available. That most certainly includes Rielly - despite his upside - as well.

Hanifin, however, looks like BPA ( slight edge) to me. The way he thinks the game is unrivaled and he's got an insane offensive arsenal to boot. He is going to be franchise defenceman that offers a defensive presence that most in the NHL never possessed at the age of 18.

I completely disagree with the bolded part. No way you trade a defenceman of Rielly's caliber for Marner (or any of the three we are debating about here). JVR and Kessel.... sure, but certainly not Rielly. Him and Hanifin would be our anchors on the blueline for the next decade. I would trade Gardiner for Marner though. And I'm a big Gardiner fan.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I completely disagree with the bolded part. No way you trade a defenceman of Rielly's caliber for Marner (or any of the three we are debating about here). JVR and Kessel.... sure, but certainly not Rielly. Him and Hanifin would be our anchors on the blueline for the next decade. I would trade Gardiner for Marner though. And I'm a big Gardiner fan.
I doubt we'd see a player-for-player swap. Nonetheless, I have a feeling that Marner is going to have a bigger impact than Rielly.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Hanifin is there you have to take him. Without that stalwart on the backend you're not going for a cup. Look what Gio did with Calgary this year.

D quarterback the team! Nylander will likely be a damn good C. If Kessel is out we can grab Bar or P.Z

You can't not take Hanifin it's non negotiable.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I would propose to Carolina, Gardiner and Bernier for the 5th overall pick. This is something they may do, as they will be looking for a goalie with Ward in the last year of his contract and they need D. Both could step right into their line up and contribute. By the time the Leafs are ready to contend in 5 years or so ( maybe longer) Gardiner will have played through this contract, be pushing 30, and Bernier will be 32 and stealing us wins in the next couple years hindering our ability to bottom out the next couple of seasons and obtain top notch prospect talent. Then you get 2 of Marner/Hanifin/Strome.
We need to look to get rid of anyone 25 or older in this rebuild. By the time the Leafs are in a position to make a serious run in the playoffs they will be on the wrong side of their prime and of declining value (unless you have an elite talent like a Stamkos).

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Listen to the whole thing, didn't hear Mckenzie say the Coyotes were very high on Strome at all. Maybe I missed it? Regardless hopefully this is true. Leaves Hunter with the tough decision of Marner or Hanifin. An amazing problem to have.

12:16 "if I were a betting man, they [Arizona] me be leaning towards Dylan Strome"

Last edited:

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
To all those who say Arizona LOVES Strome and they're taking Strome, etc... So unlikely.

Watching Marner and Strome makes the decision so decisively clear that it's not even worth debating... Marner is a better player. Clear as day.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
To all those who say Arizona LOVES Strome and they're taking Strome, etc... So unlikely.

Watching Marner and Strome makes the decision so decisively clear that it's not even worth debating... Marner is a better player. Clear as day.

Yeah, there's a reason you don't have many scouts, if any at all, saying something like that. It is certainly not clear as a day.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Yeah, there's a reason you don't have many scouts, if any at all, saying something like that. It is certainly not clear as a day.
In fact when you actually look back at Strome's season and then try and catch up to Barzal's second half... Makes the decision even harder.

I was a Strome guy, but I don't even want him anymore. There's two better forwards in this draft that we might be able to get.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

JVR
Kessel
Kadri
Nylander
Rielly

there i no way the leafs would move rielly or nylander. i think jvr, kessel, or kadri would all be in play for marner. i dont think carolina or jersey would move their pick for jvr/kessel/kadri though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
there i no way the leafs would move rielly or nylander. i think jvr, kessel, or kadri would all be in play for marner. i dont think carolina or jersey would move their pick for jvr/kessel/kadri though.

What if there was an offer for both JVR and Kessel.

Ie. Kessel for 6-10 1st + Top Prospect

Same for JVR. I am talking legit top prospect. Do you still pull that trigger for #5 and Marner is on the board?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I would propose to Carolina, Gardiner and Bernier for the 5th overall pick. This is something they may do, as they will be looking for a goalie with Ward in the last year of his contract and they need D. Both could step right into their line up and contribute. By the time the Leafs are ready to contend in 5 years or so ( maybe longer) Gardiner will have played through this contract, be pushing 30, and Bernier will be 32 and stealing us wins in the next couple years hindering our ability to bottom out the next couple of seasons and obtain top notch prospect talent. Then you get 2 of Marner/Hanifin/Strome.
We need to look to get rid of anyone 25 or older in this rebuild. By the time the Leafs are in a position to make a serious run in the playoffs they will be on the wrong side of their prime and of declining value (unless you have an elite talent like a Stamkos).

Whatever you do, do not post this trade proposal on the main board please.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
If we can get out of this with either of these guys it'll be a good day. Should be possible considering the draft position :).

Though I'm still fine with running with Strome if the group decides to go that way.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Am I the only one who absolutely does not give a flying **** who we pick between Marner, Strome and Hanifin?

They're all ridiculously good prospects that would go 1st, maybe 2nd overall in most drafts. I'm just excited for draft day because of the other picks as well as potential trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad