Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think Marner makes sense. He's in the mold of a Nylander, Kadri but possibly better. We need either size up the middle (Strome) or an elite defensemen because that's how you win (Hanifin)

I'm very happy we have the 4th pick so we are assured either of those 2 players.

I would not lose sleep with the leafs taking Hanifin over Strome/Marner.

This isn't luke Schenn

Hanifin and rielly are both the best defensmen in there respective drafts. building with those is a recipe for success. They can't mess up having those guys control the game for 50 minutes a night... They could litterally both play Suter type minutes in the future. Think about it :D

Funny, Burke was on theFan960 this morning talking about how the Ducks made the Flames look small.

Said in order to compete they have to get bigger.

Sam Bennett 6'1"
Sean Monahan 6'2"

Nothing wrong with getting some beef with your skill. And it isn't a skills competition until the all-star game or shoot-out!

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
And regardless of height if Marner was comparable to Monahans style of play I would be leaning towards Marner

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Funny, Burke was on theFan960 this morning talking about how the Ducks made the Flames look small.

Said in order to compete they have to get bigger.

Sam Bennett 6'1"
Sean Monahan 6'2"

Nothing wrong with getting some beef with your skill. And it isn't a skills competition until the all-star game or shoot-out!

They also made the Flames look slow and unskilled.

It was a complete mismatch. Singling out just one aspect like that is probably a mistake by Burke. Flames simply need to get better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It was a complete mismatch. Singling out just one aspect like that is probably a mistake by Burke. Flames simply need to get better.

No they covered that as well.

It is accepted the Ducks are in a different area code than the Flames.

Mind you the west seems to play a heavier game.

And don't forget two key pieces of the Flames are Hudler and Gaudreau.

stonewalled

Apr 13, 2015
As everyone knows its really tough deciding amongst the 3. Flip flop flip flop over and over. At the end I am thinking Hanifin Strome Marner.
I think Franchise D are the most players difficult to get especially at the draft. They come around so infrequently. Nest are big bodied skilled centres. Smallish skilled forwards seem to be the most readily abundant players around.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep.

It wasn't size the cost the Flames that series it was the massive skill gap. Hopefully for Flames fans Burke comes to his senses sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I like what Pronman said in his article on high picks.

If there are two comparable players in skill and potential, always take the forward.

That being said, I think both would excel for us.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
As everyone knows its really tough deciding amongst the 3. Flip flop flip flop over and over. At the end I am thinking Hanifin Strome Marner.
I think Franchise D are the most players difficult to get especially at the draft. They come around so infrequently. Nest are big bodied skilled centres. Smallish skilled forwards seem to be the most readily abundant players around.

Agreed!!

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Strome would be good but the LEAFS having the best defense in the NHL in a few years is not something I would pass on. Hanifin.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
few years back our scouts apparently liked rielly over nail and galchenyuk...so hanifin over marner and strome makes a lot of sense, especially considering hanifin might be better than rielly now

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
few years back our scouts apparently liked rielly over nail and galchenyuk...so hanifin over marner and strome makes a lot of sense, especially considering hanifin might be better than rielly now

Completely new management.

They might go F over D, if all things are equal.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Completely new management.

They might go F over D, if all things are equal.

Looks like it will end up this way. I have no idea how the Leaf's rankings look internally, but they do have Mark Hunter who; 1. was a top talent scout in the OHL 2. Drafted Marner to the OHL 3. Has a lot of exposure to both Strome/Marner (redundant I know).

Hard to see them not being sold on one of these two forwards.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Next years draft clouds it - with the lotto.

My dream scenario is Strome and Chychrun. or Hanifin and Mathews.

The likely scenario is Marner + Day.

I am not disapointed.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
elite goalies are probably the hardest pieces to find
assuming the leafs will never one (they might but realistically) then building from the D out makes the most sense
as tempting as it is to take a talented hard working forward is

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
elite goalies are probably the hardest pieces to find
assuming the leafs will never one (they might but realistically) then building from the D out makes the most sense
as tempting as it is to take a talented hard working forward is

Elite goaltending is hard to find because they are drafted at 18, and few are ever ready until the mid to late 20's.

We're reading that Bernier can become a starter, but he's young ... 27 in August.

I'm not a big proponent of early picks for keepers, only need 30 starters and someone usually has someone available for trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Elite goaltending is hard to find because they are drafted at 18, and few are ever ready until the mid to late 20's.

We're reading that Bernier can become a starter, but he's young ... 27 in August.

I'm not a big proponent of early picks for keepers, only need 30 starters and someone usually has someone available for trade.

Ottawa is tenderville apparently.

If you don't want Hanifin over Marner there is something wrong.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I really think we'll regret not taking Hanifin, he's that good. Definite #1D, I'd even agree that he's better than Rielly right now.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I really think we'll regret not taking Hanifin, he's that good. Definite #1D, I'd even agree that he's better than Rielly right now.

have you seen him play? not being a dick serious question

its just to bad he's not in the CHL for direct comparison

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
No way is he better then Reilly right now. Morgan was pretty damn good to end the last season. I'm not going to say he is outright the best pick in the 2012 draft but forsberg, Lindholm or rielly take your pick. I'm pretty sold on Hanifin though

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i friggin love hanifin...hes big and long, will only get stronger...and he moves as good as any big dman, moves just as well as rielly...his vision and passing is underrated and hes got a big shot...but its his skating with that size that can make him special and get him in the nhl right away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad