Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
scoring has not been the problem this past decade...our offense has been solid...we cant stop teams from scoring on us, im tired of this crap...if potential elite dmen fall to us and we dont draft em, then fck us, we're idiots

hanifin is a bigger, stronger, longer, morgan rielly

Hanifin is definitely much better defensively. Hanifin is so positionally sound that I think he could play in the NHL immediately.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I don't really care who the Leafs select between Hanifin/Marner; I think both are going to be elite.

I think we'll take whichever one is there at #4. I would be surprised if both are there. My guess is Babcock would love the stud two way D man to build around while management would like the forward with high end skill from TO. You really can't go wrong with either. I actually think i've changed my mind and would take Hanifin even though i've wanted a FW up until now. Any team with a stud D core is bound to be good but not necessarily a stud forward group (see Edmonton... or us a in 12-13) and we'd have Rielly, Hanifin, Gardiner and Percy + maybe another good D from the 2015 draft to build around.

Also I know it's a long way from now especially for kids but at the moment it seems like next year's top 10 will be mainly forwards so i'd take the D-man while we can get one. Then next year we can go for someone like Logan Brown who is a 6'5 C who's good defensively and put up a solid 0.77 PPG in his first junior year. In comparison Marner was 0.92 and Strome was 0.65 in their first years.

I voted Hanifin, just because defenders take longer to develop. I believe they'll both be elite players, I'll be happy with either of them.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Take Hanifin and be happy that you have a reliable partner for Rielly for the next 15 years. Of course if we take Marner I won't be angry either, just no Strome imo

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
There's a good chance that Arizona swap picks with Carolina. We end up snatching Marner while Carolina strengthens their blue line with Hanifin. Pair him with Flery and they have a lethal shut down pairing. Then throw money at someone like Sekera and secure the offensive pairing with Faulk.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
1) Hanifin
2) Marner
3) Barzal
4) Provorov
5) Strome

Really hoping we pick one of Hanifin or Marner

If Hanifin or Strome falls out of the top 5, I will be utterly surprised... Marner, not as much. But the top 5 should not have any surprises unless Carolina decides someone like Crouse is better than Marner.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
It's funny, we need more high end offence prospects and high end D prospects.

I think you can't go wrong either way, and I'll be happy either way, but I'd take Marner. He plays how I'd want all my players to play.

Like I said though, both are gonna be great. Just love watching Marner and he's a local boy. Could be great to help turn around the franchise.

people keep saying this and how he's a leaf fan...you all realize he's a penguins fan right? lol

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
people keep saying this and how he's a leaf fan...you all realize he's a penguins fan right? lol

He said watching Crosby raise the cup was his favourite hockey moment. Does you favourite hockey moment feature the Leaf? He's 17, his really couldn't. We've done nothing.

He also said he wants to be the guy to do the work to bring Toronto back to glory.

And regardless, he is a local boy. Straight up. So, there.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
man its too close, shouldnt be this close imo...u know how happy i be if hanifin fell to us, hes playing next year too, hes that good

Lupul Yerffoj

Jan 4, 2009
He said watching Crosby raise the cup was his favourite hockey moment. Does you favourite hockey moment feature the Leaf? He's 17, his really couldn't. We've done nothing.

He also said he wants to be the guy to do the work to bring Toronto back to glory.

It's a little silly to get too lost in the forensics here just over one silly interview, but I did note that Dylan Strome recalled the Nieuwendyk short-side goal as his favourite moment. Being around the same age, I vividly remember that goal as the moment we finally knew Lalime and the Sens had nothing left in the tank in that series. That is the sign of a legit, die hard Leafs fan.

It's bittersweet, cuz think Marner is going to be a better pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a strong passion for the Leafs growing up.

JMilne*

man this one is a coin toss really but i'd have to go with are back end first lots of successful teams build from THE back out meaning Goalies ,Defense . than forward if we could get Hanifin this would solidify the leafs defense for many years . Reilly , Gardiner , Percy , Hanifin? like really thats insane IMO plus hanifin has a big body , and he can skate i know i know size inst everything but it sure adds a little bit

we are extremely lucky to be sitting at 4th OA we get either Hanifin or Marner , i really don't think we should even consider strome sure hes big but i don't think hes going to be a number one Center i can see him as Kadri a number 2 , we dont need another 2 we need A Number one and Hanifin can be our number 1 defense

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
man this one is a coin toss really but i'd have to go with are back end first lots of successful teams build from THE back out meaning Goalies ,Defense . than forward if we could get Hanifin this would solidify the leafs defense for many years . Reilly , Gardiner , Percy , Hanifin? like really thats insane IMO plus hanifin has a big body , and he can skate i know i know size inst everything but it sure adds a little bit

we are extremely lucky to be sitting at 4th OA we get either Hanifin or Marner , i really don't think we should even consider strome sure hes big but i don't think hes going to be a number one Center i can see him as Kadri a number 2 , we dont need another 2 we need A Number one and Hanifin can be our number 1 defense
He's got size, quite athletic, but he's most known for his elite skating, puck moving ability and intelligence. That's why I think he's going to be a stud. His positional game and he reads angles is outright elite.

Add to the fact that he has the size to actually to hit. Hanifin is not a soft defenceman.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Yeah I think it's a lock Hanifin plays in the NHL a next year. No reason to hold him back, he's ready now.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
It's a little silly to get too lost in the forensics here just over one silly interview, but I did note that Dylan Strome recalled the Nieuwendyk short-side goal as his favourite moment. Being around the same age, I vividly remember that goal as the moment we finally knew Lalime and the Sens had nothing left in the tank in that series. That is the sign of a legit, die hard Leafs fan.

It's bittersweet, cuz think Marner is going to be a better pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a strong passion for the Leafs growing up.

That's very true. I guess I even get down on our rotten recent past!

I'll never forget Sundin's 500th, step over the blue line and rifle a slapper for the OT winner.

That was a beauty for me.

I really think whichever of these two we get will be great.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That's very true. I guess I even get down on our rotten recent past!

I'll never forget Sundin's 500th, step over the blue line and rifle a slapper for the OT winner.

That was a beauty for me.

I really think whichever of these two we get will be great.

For his hatty and shorthanded IIRC

Feb 24, 2004

Strome also a local boy.

Marner played for the Don Mills Flyers. Strome played for the Marlboros. Crazy how talented the alumni base is for those two organizations.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Strome also a local boy.

Marner played for the Don Mills Flyers. Strome played for the Marlboros. Crazy how talented the alumni base is for those two organizations.

Mhmm. I wouldn't be disappointed with Strome, but I think Marner's just got that extra gear.

Though Strome would probably look awesome in the future with Nylander.

Nooooo now I'm reconsidering AGAIN

Scarbarian*

We never know what will happen in the draft. No one saw Barkov going before Jones in 2013. More than likely we will see a surprise or two.

This x 100. I am hoping and the gut tells me that Leafs will more likely end up with one of Marner/Hanifin but don't rule out the possibility of Barzal/Zacha/Crouse with the pick as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad