Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Predicting how any 18 year old player is going to turn out is hard just by itself. IMO it seems even harder to predict how D will turn out. Maybe I'm gun shy on D after Luke Schenn, I dunno.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I've honestly gone back and forth so many times between Strome, Marner and Hanifin... I don't really know anymore.

Getting Hanfin will give us Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner, and Hanifin locked up for a pretty long time. So we could essentially solidify our D-core for quite a few year. So I do think that we need another good D-man and they're tough to find. Obviously if we can trade Kessel for Jones, than we wouldn't need Hanifin as much.

Also, if we can get the 5 or 6 pick, we might be able to pick up Marner with one of those picks too.

I think that Strome has maybe the biggest up-side in that he could be a big 1st line center. It would kind of be amazing to have JVR - Strome - Big Right Winger line... finally, a big skilled, top line that could dominate games.

That being said, I think Marner probably has a better chance at being a better player than Strome. And I also would rather a Toronto kid than another American.

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
I'd love if Strome got picked by Arizona because it would leave such a tough decision to us. Both players are very good and I'd be very happy with either.

My choice of the two though is Hanifin.

91Kadri91*

I don't really care who the Leafs select between Hanifin/Marner; I think both are going to be elite.

mikebel111*

This is much harder.
In the Strome and Marner discussion. Its easily Marner

You cant really go wrong with Hanifin or Marner. I cant decide

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
If we are going for a defense I'd go for Provorov before Hanifin, however this can be a legit toss up because they are damn good. I can't choose in this one tbh. I'd give it to Marner because of his London Connections and I like his motor skills on being his game every single shift.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I voted Marner.

Although to be honest I don't know much about either prospect. I've only watched a few Marner games, and I haven't ever see Hanifin play (asides from the highlight packs)

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
The more I think about it.. the more I feel like Hanifin is the best choice for us. Voted Marner, but thinking about Hanifin on our team...

JVR - Nylander - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Bozak - Frattin

Hanifin - Phaneuf
Rielly - Percy
Gardiner - Polak

That sounds pretty solid to me, no way we can be a bottom feeder with a team like that lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
9 of 10 of Bob McKenzie polled NHL scouts have Hanifin as the #3rd best prospect in this draft and the 10th one has him #4 behind Strome #3.

If your going BPA best player available then Hanifin is he winner here, but if your going BPA best popular athlete then Marner is the Fan favourite. All depends if you vote with your head or your heart. :)

I'm expecting Hanifin to go #3 overall so I don't think the Leafs brass will need to make this decision come draft day.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
I like most scouts have Hanifin as the clear #3 player in the draft. As fun and tiring seeing the Marner camp take shots at the Strome camp. I would take Hanifin over both without a second thought. If Hanifin played in the OHL I suspect this poll would be a landslide. He's NHL ready too, and he will be the best D man picked since Drew Doughty IMO.

Think about it, how many 6'3 203 lbs D men at 18, can skate effortlessly, that can play the game from a rocking chair, that has the hockey smarts and skill that Hanifin has. Not many from what I can recall.

But I do understand these polls are more a popularity contest than based on actual scouting and projection.

Yes it would have have been a different poll to gauge these 3 fine talents but landslide:shakehead he did not play in the ohl and the talent level is higher in the O. It's your opinion however most see this as a tighter race than you do.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If your going BPA best player available then Hanifin is he winner here, but if your going BPA best popular athlete then Marner is the Fan favourite. All depends if you vote with your head or your heart. :)

I vote with my balls. :yo:

So Strome?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's Hanifin and it's not even close... Has he ever realistically been considered below 3rd overall ever... Other than the fact that he plays in the NCAA (which is the saddest excuse I have ever heard in my life) and that Arizona doesn't badly need a defenseman like Edmonton did. That's the only reason why the draft doesn't start at number 4...

officialmark*

I would kill if we could grab that Carolina pick so we could grab 2 of the 3. These kids are all going to be so good. I would give Kessel and Bernier to Carolina for Ward and their 1st every day of the week. Then flip JVR and Percy to NJD for their 6th OA and call it a day. Enough Be A GM though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
9 of 10 of Bob McKenzie polled NHL scouts have Hanifin as the #3rd best prospect in this draft and the 10th one has him #4 behind Strome #3.

I'm expecting Hanifin to go #3 overall so I don't think the Leafs brass will need to make this decision come draft day.

I also expect Hanifin to go number 3. You don't pass on a guy so much better than the rest just because of need, especially when your defense isn't stacked in the first place.

Scouts had like a 4-4 split between Strome and Marner right? And there was someone like Crouse/Zacha/Barzal whom was the last number 4.

So obviously the way these scouts have it is Hanifin-Strome-Marner then.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Honestly, I can't wait to see what Babcock does for either player's development. But from what we've see from Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar(and would have probably seen from Larkin) I'm a fan of seeing what happens with Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad