Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgaryLeaf*

How many 7 footers?

Chara would be listed as 6'10 1/2" in the NBA...They measure with shoes on.;)

I'm guessing that he's the tallest ever...I can't think of anyone close to 5'...Theo Fleury was 5'6" I think.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think you can say McD is disappointed, but pissed is far too strong. I don't think Strome is upset about anything, he wants to prove himself to be a great NHLer and is happy to start his career. I also think he views Arizona and the weather as a nice perk. I think Marner might be slightly disappointed not to join his boyhood team but the desire to become a top NHLer and the starting of their NHL journey is really all these kids are going to care about.

I mean growing up do you think these kids would have passed up playing int he NHL or pissed if they had to play in a particular city? No, they just wanted to play one day in the NHL.

College numbers are also harder to read. Talent of the forwards affect a defenseman's numbers huge too as they tend to get way more assists than goals.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Chara would be listed as 6'10 1/2" in the NBA...They measure with shoes on.;)

I'm guessing that he's the tallest ever...I can't think of anyone close to 5'...Theo Fleury was 5'6" I think.

Yeah I heard the other night Chara holds the record for tallest and I am certain Theo was smallest.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think it's Nathan Gerbe. Listed around 5'5".

Actually we were both wrong.

Roy Worters is the shortest goalie ever to play in the NHL. He stood only 5'3” and weighed just 135 pounds which earned him the nickname, “Shrimp,” but he went on to set several records and to become a Hall of Fame goalie while playing for the New York Americans, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Montreal Canadiens.Aug 16, 2012

followed by these guys

1 Nathan Gerbe Carolina Hurricanes LW 173 5' 5"
2 Joe Whitney New Jersey Devils RW 165 5' 6"
3 Rocco Grimaldi Florida Panthers C 160 5' 6"

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Actually we were both wrong.

Roy Worters is the shortest goalie ever to play in the NHL. He stood only 5'3†and weighed just 135 pounds which earned him the nickname, “Shrimp,†but he went on to set several records and to become a Hall of Fame goalie while playing for the New York Americans, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Montreal Canadiens.Aug 16, 2012

followed by these guys

1 Nathan Gerbe Carolina Hurricanes LW 173 5' 5"
2 Joe Whitney New Jersey Devils RW 165 5' 6"
3 Rocco Grimaldi Florida Panthers C 160 5' 6"

I also found this:
Roy Worters is generally accepted as the shortest player at 5'3" (he even has the nickname Shrimp) however there were shorter players than him when he played. (Players weren't required to do mandatory measurements until 1933)

So certainly Gerbe is the shortest in the new age, however there could of been someone shorter than 5'3" according to that. Times have changed. Remember the big "M"? Around 6',6'1". Today he's the average "M" for height.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
...actually...I think I want Barzal

I haven't seen much of him so don't take my word on it, but I'm hoping he has similar potential to OEL.

Maybe his potential is similar to OEL, but his play style is more Bouwmeester or Vlasic. Not saying he can't be better than those players, thats just who he reminds me of.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That is gnarly - Voted Hanifin. Might even be partial to Hanifin over Strome.

I like most scouts have Hanifin as the clear #3 player in the draft. As fun and tiring seeing the Marner camp take shots at the Strome camp. I would take Hanifin over both without a second thought. If Hanifin played in the OHL I suspect this poll would be a landslide. He's NHL ready too, and he will be the best D man picked since Drew Doughty IMO.

Think about it, how many 6'3 203 lbs D men at 18, can skate effortlessly, that can play the game from a rocking chair, that has the hockey smarts and skill that Hanifin has. Not many from what I can recall.

But I do understand these polls are more a popularity contest than based on actual scouting and projection.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
It's funny, we need more high end offence prospects and high end D prospects.

I think you can't go wrong either way, and I'll be happy either way, but I'd take Marner. He plays how I'd want all my players to play.

Like I said though, both are gonna be great. Just love watching Marner and he's a local boy. Could be great to help turn around the franchise.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
I have Hanifin as the clear #3 player in the draft. As fun and tiring seeing the Marner camp take shots at the Strome camp. I would take Hanifin over both without a second thought. If Hanifin played in the OHL I suspect this poll would be a landslide. He's NHL ready too, and he will be the best D man picked since Drew Doughty IMO.

Think about it, how many 6'3 203 lbs D men at 18, can skate effortlessly, that can play the game from a rocking chair, that has the hockey smarts and skill that Hanifin has. Not many from what I can recall.

But I do understand these polls are more a popularity contest than based on actual scouting and projection.

See Karlsson, Erik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad