Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Players in prior drafts have no bearing on players in this draft.

So you're incapable of observing trends?

Small and creative point producers in the CHL have historically been taken low because they don't project well into the NHL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like forwards in the top 10 and D in the 15-45 range. Personal preference backed statistically.

I actually prefer the idea of using Kessel to bring back a younger further along D like say Fleury. In that trade scenario I would even take back Semin and be wanting a 1st and prospect as well.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Everyone can keep yelling that Marner is "BPA!" until they're blue in the face, it doesn't make it true. Drafting is about projecting who will be the best player in the NHL, not observing who can put up the most points in junior leagues as an 18 year old.

Nic Petan
71-46-74-120
Drafted #43 overall in 2013

Bo Horvat
67-33-28-61
Drafted #7 overall in 2013

Jordan Weal
72-35-67-102
Drafted #70 overall in 2010

Ryan Johansen
71-25-44-69
Drafted #4 overall in 2010
I can pick a bunch of big junior players picked in the top ten who didn't pan out either. Marner isn't just a great player because he can produce, but he makes the players around him better, and he's got unparalleled (outside of the top 2) determination and killer instinct. He also plays away from the puck with a purpose which makes him even more special. And you know his offensive talent is probably the highest outside of the top 2.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
I'd love to pick Hanifin and then trade to grab a pick from 7-12 and grab one of Crouse, Rantanen or Barzal. Then hope Kylington drops to our Nashville pick.

If we walked away with that, I'd be ecstatic.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Hanifin is the BPA at 3. So if Zona passes on him, the Leafs would be stupid to do the same.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Everyone can keep yelling that Marner is "BPA!" until they're blue in the face, it doesn't make it true. Drafting is about projecting who will be the best player in the NHL, not observing who can put up the most points in junior leagues as an 18 year old.

Nic Petan

71-46-74-120
Drafted #43 overall in 2013

Bo Horvat
67-33-28-61

Drafted #7 overall in 2013

Jordan Weal
72-35-67-102
Drafted #70 overall in 2010

Ryan Johansen
71-25-44-69
Drafted #4 overall in 2010

The difference there isn't just size it's skating.

Marner is one of the fastest skaters in junior hockey.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've been thinking more and more on this.

I'm going to be pretty happy with any of the top 5 guys.

Even Barzal-Provorov are good guys too. I just don't want Crouse. I can't control any of it and i'll just be happy to go along with whatever our team picks, they will be a great prospect for us. I had been reading so much and trying to find video for the last month but just find that all these players are great.

What I do want is for us to find a way to get another top 10 pick. Florida, New Jersey, and Columbus seem like picks we should be able to get in a Kessel deal.

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
I think it would be a mistake to pass on Marner.

I haven't seen much of Hanifin, but his play doesn't stand out to me. I know that is probably a good thing for a defenceman, but I would rather pick a more dynamic player at the #4 spot. Steady defencemen can be found lower down in the draft.

Marner is electrifying at both ends of the ice. He's a bit small now, but he plays with such determination, and does not shy away from physical contact. He can skate. He is a hard worker who makes the players around him better.

He'll get bigger and stronger with age.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Must have done that one at 3am because Marner has lost all the polls where posters voted in numbers
It was open for about 19 hours so not like there wasn't some chances for people to get their thoughts in on it.

I feel like the differing results just show that people are flip flopping a lot about who to take at 4. Which at least makes sense to me since there are so many talented guys available where we are that it's hard to be 100% sure about who is the right call. At least I'm finding it hard to be completely sure who I'd take at that spot.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
It was open for about 19 hours so not like there wasn't some chances for people to get their thoughts in on it.

I feel like the differing results just show that people are flip flopping a lot about who to take at 4. Which at least makes sense to me since there are so many talented guys available where we are that it's hard to be 100% sure about who is the right call. At least I'm finding it hard to be completely sure who I'd take at that spot.

Regardless, he lost huge to Strome, he lost to Strome when it was Strome/hanifin/Marner and he's losing this one. One poll that didn't get the same amount of posters doesn't somehow change the other three

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Regardless, he lost huge to Strome, he lost to Strome when it was Strome/hanifin/Marner and he's losing this one. One poll that didn't get the same amount of posters doesn't somehow change the other three

and all are equally meaningless.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Are you suggesting the leafs don't take our polls to heart? Or our trade proposals? Stupid. We could have such a better team if they did :sarcasm:

The way the Team has performed the last decade it wouldn't come as a surprise that they follow advice posted here.

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY
Yeah I need to see like a full game played from Marner to fully decide how good his skating is an how creative he is. Does anybody know where you can get tape of him playing a really good OHL team like the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds? Its easy to find tape on the other top guys, because they all played world junior, and I can watch Hanifin and Strome easily on TV. I like Rantaanan and Provarov too, looked great at WJC

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
So you're incapable of observing trends?

Small and creative point producers in the CHL have historically been taken low because they don't project well into the NHL.

Also, here's a fun picture, the forwards in the top 10 drafted with the best PPG last 30 years (pre 2013):

15_Best_060113.jpg

Marners PPG is currently is 2.03PPG. For whatever reason this list excludes Thornton, but his PPG was 2.01.

Also, for people who don't think points in the CHL matter, here's the worst PPG players drafted in the top 10 from the CHL of the last 30 years:

15_Worst_060113.jpg

If you want to talk trends about high point producing CHLers taken in the top 10, here are the trends.

Posts about Weal or Petan are not comparable. Those aren't top 10 picks.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I doubt that. Id guess Rielly is one of managements favourite pieces in the organization. He's smart, very good raw skillset, and has an incredible off-ice work ethic. He's a guy you bet on to become a pretty good player.

We need multiple high calibre dmen. Its pretty tough to get by with just one.

Reilly is far from untouchable for the first line potential center that Leafs have needed for a decade.

It's so asinine, it just might work!

First line centers are more valuable than top pairing defensemen, if they weren't, Seth Jones would not have gone 4th.

Dion + Bernier/Reimer yes, Rielly, not so much

Edmonton would never make a trade like that for Drasaitl or Nugent-Hopkins. They would want the one piece the Leafs don't want to part with.

It's the silliest thing in the world to assume that other teams in the NHL don't know what value the players on Toronto actually have. They know it, the bad and the good. Arizona will take Strome because he is exactly what they need.

NotSince67*

If you want to talk trends about high point producing CHLers taken in the top 10, here are the trends.

Posts about Weal or Petan are not comparable. Those aren't top 10 picks.

How many times do I have to mention that by making it top 10 picks you're really skewed the data. Marner isn't a top 10 pick because of his points, he's a top 10 pick because of what is as a player in general.

Your reliance on that chart is astounding. You're clearly smart enough to understand what I'm saying when I say making it top 10's eliminate the usefulness of that chart to demonstrate a player's potential as correlating to his CHL production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad