Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thelittleredbaron

Feb 9, 2013
Marner and hanifin would be awesome draft. I think Strome will be a let down reminds me too much of Wayne and Keith Primeau. Islanders already have the better brother IMO. Not knocking the kid just my gut.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't get the J-Bo comparison at all. One may as well compare him to Hjalmarsson because Noah is a puck mover. He's a strong skater but doesn't really skate up the ice with the puck. That isn't his game at all....we have Rielly for that.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Marner and hanifin would be awesome draft. I think Strome will be a let down reminds me too much of Wayne and Keith Primeau. Islanders already have the better brother IMO. Not knocking the kid just my gut.

John Tavares is the better comparison for Strome. He has elite vision and shooting skills but average skating.

Keith Primeau was just a big man who could skate.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006

If Strome turned out to be our situation of the J.Staal instead of the E.Staal that would be disastrous.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
John Tavares is the better comparison for Strome. He has elite vision and shooting skills but average skating.

Keith Primeau was just a big man who could skate.
That makes more sense even though he plays a more heavier game. Strome just is isn't active in his own zone like Kopitar nor does he work the puck like Sundin.

Top line upside IMO.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I agree with this.

Another angle that you can look at it is that Hunter is VERY familiar with Marner....

So here are the possible outcomes
Leafs Draft Marner - Hunter feels Marner is THAT special to be drafted at #4....
Leafs Draft Strome/Hanifan/etc - Hunter feels that said player is BETTER than Marner....

The only loophole is if Arizona chooses Marner... ;)

That's it exactly. Hunter has enough knowledge, familiarity & inside information that there is not another person in this league that would know better.

Depending who is available, if he chooses Marner, it's because he knows how special he can be. If he chooses Strome, Hanifin or someone different, it's because he believes that person has qualities that even exceed what he knows of Marner. Because of this, I'll be happy with whoever they pick, it might not be who I would choose, but I think the Leafs & Hunter in particular will be more informed than me.

The one thing that could change their preference of picks based on their ranking is if they acquired another pick that could affect or make the 4th pick more valuable. For instance, if Hanifin & Marner/Strome were available & they saw Hanifin as the top choice, but they knew they could get Marner/Strome at #4 & a top winger that would compliment them at #6, then watch Carolina pick Hanifin at #5.

That's probably reaching a little too much, for now.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
That's it exactly. Hunter has enough knowledge, familiarity & inside information that there is not another person in this league that would know better.

Depending who is available, if he chooses Marner, it's because he knows how special he can be. If he chooses Strome, Hanifin or someone different, it's because he believes that person has qualities that even exceed what he knows of Marner. Because of this, I'll be happy with whoever they pick, it might not be who I would choose, but I think the Leafs & Hunter in particular will be more informed than me.

The one thing that could change their preference of picks based on their ranking is if they acquired another pick that could affect or make the 4th pick more valuable. For instance, if Hanifin & Marner/Strome were available & they saw Hanifin as the top choice, but they knew they could get Marner/Strome at #4 & a top winger that would compliment them at #6, then watch Carolina pick Hanifin at #5.

which player of Hanifan/Strome/Marner has the best analytic stats? ...project for you number crunchers out there!!

...then maybe add Barazal/Zacha

tony m

May 16, 2010
GTA
Probably mentioned before - with Hanifin still available - trade our 4th overall to Carolina for their 5th overall plus a third round pick (if not their second) & pick up Marner.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Probably mentioned before - with Hanifin still available - trade our 4th overall to Carolina for their 5th overall plus a third round pick (if not their second) & pick up Marner.

some fans are talking about Carolina trading with Arizona to get Hanifin

that makes some sense

Carolina wants Hanifin, Arizona get Marner +

Leafs would get strome which i'm happy with

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I don't think Hanifin will drop to 4th, defense is a piece that Arizona needs so it would be hard for them to pass up that option.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Yeah.... I think this team needs to go BPA, regardless. We don't have the luxury in depth and whatnot to not pick the best players....

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY
I think Hanifin would be an absolute home run, this dude just played against 22 year olds as a 17 year old!!! and was pretty dominant, he is an incredible skater, reminds me of Drew Doughty with the creativity and two way ability. We cannot go wrong with any of the 3 top guys, but I think you build from the back out, and him and Reilly would be the best tandem in the NHL for 10 + years. With Marner the only issue with me is that he is a winger, he reminds me of Patrick Kane, so I guess it would be like Kane or Doughty, and I love Patty Kane, but I would pick Doughty (this is each players ceiling IMO). Plus next year the top 5 players, 4 are forwards, D-men are a lot harder to come by.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I suggest you trade up. Marner will likely not even be as good as Kessel. Hows that working these days?

Wingers rarely change teams. Even Kane needs Toews. Ovy probably the only exception.

Hanifin is the best option although I think it would be great if you guys could trade for the #3 pick and retain 4.

IE Strome and Hanifin.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I suggest you trade up. Marner will likely not even be as good as Kessel. Hows that working these days?

Wingers rarely change teams. Even Kane needs Toews. Ovy probably the only exception.

Hanifin is the best option although I think it would be great if you guys could trade for the #3 pick and retain 4.

IE Strome and Hanifin.

Marner has been playing centre? His own coach has said he can play whatever forward position you need him to. In fact he's played centre for most of his hockey career. So, I wouldn't consider it a lock that he's a winger.

I'm also not sure why you're suggesting to us that we trade up. No one on this board can make that decision :laugh:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

IE Strome and Hanifin.

Marner is physical, actually back-checks and is responsible in
his own end.

He's a 200 foot player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

IE Strome and Hanifin.

You're not familiar with Marner are you?

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY

IE Strome and Hanifin.

Would never happen, they would never trade that pick without getting a top 10 pick in return, this draft is too talented

NotSince67*

For what it's worth, this was from Damian Cox's ( :shakehead ) Mock Draft:

"The Leafs dearly covet the 6-foot-3 centre, a Toronto-area teenager to boot. If Arizona takes him first, the Leafs will take Hanifin."

While innocuous at first, theres a little more at play. It's the ONLY statement that isn;t some sort of blanket statement about the player itself, it actually speaks of how the Leafs view these 3 prospects. If indeed Cox has had some sort of ear into the Leafs organization's view on the players, it would stand that I would go McD-Eichel-Strome-Hanifin.

I would also take this with a grain of salt, Damian Cox is really going to have a few big scoops to make up for years of conjecture.

Tlamlam

Apr 18, 2015
Toronto
We should go with Marner, it's harder to pick up a player like him in the mid-late first round, whereas a defenceman similar to Hanifin's potential could be had later ie. provorov, werenski. Premium forwards always seem to be taken very early. Also, Passport can be a factor if it gives players that extra gear when playing for their hometown or favourite teams. We will get a top talent with our pick but If Strome is gone, Marner > Hanifin. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

JMilne*

The pressure is on Hunter to not f...k up the picks this year my gut feeling is he goes with who he knows best and that is Marner.

hunter know what to do . have you seen his draft record? its really good look it up

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Marner is physical, actually back-checks and is responsible in
his own end.

He's a 200 foot player.
Exactly. It's not like he can't play with larger two-way forwards. We see that in Minnesota and I think that's how we should be building our team as well. Since Marner has top line playmaking ability, it makes no sense to disqualify him due to size.

NotSince67*

Exactly. It's not like he can't play with larger two-way forwards. We see that in Minnesota and I think that's how we should be building our team as well. Since Marner has top line playmaking ability, it makes no sense to disqualify him due to size.

I think in regards to size it's not if it will keep him from playing in the NHL, but rather if he'll be able to stay healthy.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I just hope we don`t take Strome. I don`t care which of Marner or Hanifin we take as long as it`s one of them.

Strome doesn`t seem like the kind of player that drives play or has a ton of desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad