Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
After the first 2 picks, this draft kind of seems like last years draft, where the best player is a defenseman but some teams may be drawn to the forwards. Last year Florida made the correct call. I think any team passing on Hanifin would be making a big mistake.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I want strome, and if not him Provo.

Hanifin worries me a great deal for reasons I'll keep to myself, and I'd prefer a big bodied centre to compliment nylander.

CalgaryLeaf*

If Hanifin is as good as some of you claim I might be tempted to draft him ahead of Marner...I watched team USA at the WJC but I didn't focus my attention 100% on Hanifin when I was watching the game...I also watched some guys Youtube shift by shift video of Hanifin playing an entire game...He looked just OK to me but it was only one game....That is certainly not enough to qualify myself as some type of expert on the guy...I'd need to watch 30-40 of his games concentrating solely on him in order to have a more educated opinion.

Marner on the other hand has a ton of stuff on the net to view...Because he's a forward he flashes and stands out more than a D-man would...His stats in the OHL kind of backs up what you see on video...You can see that the guy is ultra talented...Even a novice hockey fan can see that.

If Hunter selects Hanifin over his boy Marner I'll be confident that he has made the right choice.

Most Leafs fans would LOVE to have an elite #1 defenseman on the team for the next decade or more. We haven't had a stud #1 D-man in quite a few years. Perhaps Salming is the last guy?..I wouldn't consider Kaberle as elite or in that category.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
If Hanifin is as good as some of you claim I might be tempted to draft him ahead of Marner...I watched team USA at the WJC but I didn't focus my attention 100% on Hanifin when I was watching the game...I also watched some guys Youtube shift by shift video of Hanifin playing an entire game...He looked just OK to me but it was only one game....That is certainly not enough to qualify myself as some type of expert on the guy...I'd need to watch 30-40 of his games concentrationg solely on him in order to have a more educated opinion.

Hanifin is pretty flashy actually, in the sense that his skating really jumps up at you. He's an elite skater and his transition game with the puck is top notch (makes you say "wow" in the same way when guys like Karlsson, Doughty, Subban take the puck up the ice). There are a few highlight videos on YouTube where Hanifin takes it coast to coast to score/set up a goal, which is extremely impressive for a 17 year old D. And his offensive game really came around after the WJCs.. ended up leading his NCAA team in points in that stretch, a bit of a better PPG than what Trouba put up in his post draft year in the NCAA.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I want strome, and if not him Provo.

Hanifin worries me a great deal for reasons I'll keep to myself, and I'd prefer a big bodied centre to compliment nylander.

It's OK, it's just a message board. Feel free to share.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
I Agree

I think Hanifin is going to be really good, possibly one of the best d-men in the league, but there is that chance with him that he doesn't turn out to be that guy and is just a solid guy in your line up. I can't help, but think of another just as highly touted US d-man who had the same kind of hype, but to me is just a solid one not a franchise changing one: Eric Johnson.

With Marner I think you are getting as close to a can't miss prospect in the draft (besides McDavid and Eichel) as you can. His creativity, hockey IQ , mobility and 2-way don't allow for him to be average. His brother didn't finish growing until 19 and is 6"3. So he could still end up 6"0 or taller.

Despite the rarity of elite D, we can't afford to not nail this pick. Also, there are a couple of pretty good elite D in the draft next year if we are in the 3rd to 5th pick range named Chychrun and Day that would nice in a Leaf uniform.

I agree with you totally: handclap: When pick three comes up I am hoping the Coyotes take Strome or Hanifin (nothing against them would love to get them) and then the Leafs step up and take Marner. Imagine having both Nylander and Marner reaching their potential in their prime together, with other teams having to focus on them. That alone makes other players around them better

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Still think Marner has the most offensive talent after Mcdavid and would Challenge for the 2nd pick if had the same body frame as Eichel.... However I will be happy with Hannifin if Mark hunter picks him because he believes he's a # 1 stud defencemen.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
what are some of u afraid of hanifin for? the guy is gonna be 6'3 about 210-220, and hes elitely fast and smooth on his skates, got long arms and long reach, his passing and vision isn't even talked about cus of that size and speed, which is very good, plus hes got a potential great shot...theres no debate to me, we need this guy

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
Hanifin seems like the most solid foundational pick we could make.

Nothing against Strome or Marner, I'd love either of them, but I think if Hanifin slides we simply have to take him.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i hope to god hanifin is there when we draft. he would look so good next to rielly. :nod:

please arizona, take strome.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I just want there to be some way we can leave the draft with Hanifin & Marner.

Would people make an overpayment to get it done?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I just want there to be some way we can leave the draft with Hanifin & Marner.

Would people make an overpayment to get it done?
I would. Retain $2 million from Kessel's salary for the 5th overall, Jeff Skinner and some other pick.

Phil would be a total steal at $6 million. Skinner is at least a 30-30 producer and we'd have the opportunity to draft Hanifin and Marner. :)

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
There isn't much video online to find on Hanifin. Found this uploaded on youtube today for those who haven't seen him.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Hanifin is pretty flashy actually, in the sense that his skating really jumps up at you. He's an elite skater and his transition game with the puck is top notch (makes you say "wow" in the same way when guys like Karlsson, Doughty, Subban take the puck up the ice). There are a few highlight videos on YouTube where Hanifin takes it coast to coast to score/set up a goal, which is extremely impressive for a 17 year old D. And his offensive game really came around after the WJCs.. ended up leading his NCAA team in points in that stretch, a bit of a better PPG than what Trouba put up in his post draft year in the NCAA.
Yeah he's a legitimate A-to-B stickhandler. He's elite in that regard and can work at all speeds to boot.

A very "modern" defenceman IMO.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I would. Retain $2 million from Kessel's salary for the 5th overall, Jeff Skinner and some other pick.

Phil would be a total steal at $6 million. Skinner is at least a 30-30 producer and we'd have the opportunity to draft Hanifin and Marner. :)

Not sure if Carolina would do that if so great, but we're talking about Hanifin, a player some feel is on Ekblads level. Does anyone do Ekblad for Kessel straight up? Probably not.

I'd do Kessel at 6 for the 5th and a 2nd tbh. Some might say we could have gotten so much more but they'll quickly forget all that when one of Rielly or Hanifin is on the ice for anywere from 40-50 minutes.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Not sure if Carolina would do that if so great, but we're talking about Hanifin, a player some feel is on Ekblads level. Does anyone do Ekblad for Kessel straight up? Probably not.

I'd do Kessel at 6 for the 5th and a 2nd tbh. Some might say we could have gotten so much more but they'll quickly forget all that when one of Rielly or Hanifin is on the ice for anywere from 40-50 minutes.
Yeah, I'd consider that as well. Seeing that the finals will involve top producing, offensive forwards ( or wingers), Kessel's value may end up increasing exponentially.

Swayze*

Jesus man

So bad for the canes its beyond embarrassing

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Jesus man

So bad for the canes its beyond embarrassing
It depends on what their aims are. Kessel @ $6 million will offer you a Kane-like weapon at much lower price.

Assuming Hanifin and Marner is available, the BPA is more likely to be Noah. You send over Kessel in exchange for Marner to strengthen their top line. Since Skinner is highly valuable, I have no problems sending over JVR. Hell, I'd even take over Semin's contract if required.

Staal - Staal - Kessel

JVR - Lindholm - RW

OR

JVR - Staal - Kessel ( resembles US's top scoring line)

Staal - Lindholm - RW

JVR, Kessel ($6 million) for Marner, Skinner, 2nd rounder, Semin ( cap dump).

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
It depends on what their aims are. Kessel @ $6 million will offer you a Kane-like weapon at much lower price.

Assuming Hanifin and Marner is available, the BPA is more likely to be Noah. You send over Kessel in exchange for Marner to strengthen their top line. Since Skinner is highly valuable, I have no problems sending over JVR. Hell, I'd even take over Semin's contract if required.

Staal - Staal - Kessel

JVR - Lindholm - RW

OR

JVR - Staal - Kessel ( resembles US's top scoring line)

Staal - Lindholm - RW

JVR, Kessel ($6 million) for Marner, Skinner, 2nd rounder, Semin ( cap dump).

Carolina and Toronto are bad trading partners because their both in similar situations. Both teams need to stockpile potential young players rather than taking shortcuts

If I'm Carolina, I'm looking to move Eric Staal and Cam Ward this off-season the same way Toronto is looking to trade Kessel and Phaneuf. Move forward with a core of Faulk, Fleury, Lindholm, Staal, Skinner, Nedelikovic, Rask. I don't even see the point of trading Semin since they would have to attach an asset and their team is in no hurry to compete

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Carolina and Toronto are bad trading partners because their both in similar situations. Both teams need to stockpile potential young players rather than taking shortcuts

If I'm Carolina, I'm looking to move Eric Staal and Cam Ward this off-season the same way Toronto is looking to trade Kessel and Phaneuf. Move forward with a core of Faulk, Fleury, Lindholm, Staal, Skinner, Nedelikovic, Rask. I don't even see the point of trading Semin since they would have to attach an asset and their team is in no hurry to compete
Yeah, that's what they're going to do most likely. Nonetheless, those attendance numbers don't look that great on that end. If anything, I see Columbus and Florida able to sell their rebuild a lot better than Carolina simply due to having a core that is around the same age as Rielly.

Carolina, on the other hand, has committed to the Staal brothers, Semin and arguably even Ward. Otherwise, I'd ship out Eric Staal, Semin and Ward and get a cost-controlled asset in the top six.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Yeah, that's what they're going to do most likely. Nonetheless, those attendance numbers don't look that great on that end. If anything, I see Columbus and Florida able to sell their rebuild a lot better than Carolina simply due to having a core that is around the same age as Rielly.

Carolina, on the other hand, has committed to the Staal brothers, Semin and arguably even Ward. Otherwise, I'd ship out Eric Staal, Semin and Ward and get a cost-controlled asset in the top six.

The good thing is that Ward and E.Staal are free agents at the end of 2016 so their movable pieces. Definitely harder to move Ward but they should really look at trading E.Staal at the very least. Semin is like Clarkson lite. Yes they've made a commitment to him but he's sucked so badly that nobody is counting on him to do anything

Ultimately I think it's easier to sell Kessel, Phaneuf to a team that's missing that last 1 or 2 piece to put them over the top or into cup contention category

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad