Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As per Simmons.

Numerous scouting sources are convinced the Arizona Coyotes, picking third, will select the large centreman from Erie, leaving the Leafs in somewhat of a quandary.

Sounds like Leafs will have a choice of picking Hanifin if they want him.

This would be a gift from the heavens to this franchise if Hanifin falls into our laps.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
This is a win/win regardless how it unfolds.. Thank god we are finally in a position to have this good decision to make!

the only scenario that would've of been better is winning the lottery and securing McDavid who is on another planet!

My hopes are the Leafs draft Hanni, trade Phaneuf + to the Oil who are lost at D in a package that can get one of their talented forwards over here.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am pretty sure that Arizona is going to pick Hanifin, that would leave us with an easy choice of picking BPA and that is Mitch Marner

CalgaryLeaf*

I read this in the comments section of the Sun:

"As for Hanifin the last 3 NCAA-USA National team top 5 d-men picks have busted, Ryan Whitney, Jack Johnson and Eric Johnson. Hanifin did not impress at the WJC plus he didn't make the latest Worlds USA Team. Thirty 5 games is not enough to evaluate a NCAA d-man for the top 5. No way should the leafs take Hanifin."

Reaction?

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

"As for Hanifin the last 3 NCAA-USA National team top 5 d-men picks have busted, Ryan Whitney, Jack Johnson and Eric Johnson. Hanifin did not impress at the WJC plus he didn't make the latest Worlds USA Team. Thirty 5 games is not enough to evaluate a NCAA d-man for the top 5. No way should the leafs take Hanifin."

Reaction?

Unfair claim. Most American D-men aren't yet eligible or good enough to play in the NCAA in their draft year, so that leaves a tiny pool for Hanifin to be compared to. Also, Jack Johnson and Erik Johnson weren't drafted from NCAA, thhe was drafted from USDP and went on to play for Michigan and Minnesota respectively in their post-draft years.

What Hanifin is doing by playing in the NCAA as a draft eligible player is almost unheard of. I'm no expert and haven't seen much of him, but to say Leafs should stay away because Ray Whitney busted as a top 5 pick 13 years ago is just foolish.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
What Hanifin is doing by playing in the NCAA as a draft eligible player is almost unheard of.

Werenski's stats are pretty similar and yet he hasn't cracked the top 5 in any ranking I've seen. I don't think you can say it's unheard of when there's another player who had a similar season in the same draft year. Evidently Hanifin has something that Werenski and other defensemen this year don't, but it's really not clear-cut that he'll turn out to be a franchise defenseman.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Werenski's stats are pretty similar and yet he hasn't cracked the top 5 in any ranking I've seen. I don't think you can say it's unheard of when there's another player who had a similar season in the same draft year. Evidently Hanifin has something that Werenski and other defensemen this year don't, but it's really not clear-cut that he'll turn out to be a franchise defenseman.

Good point about Werenski, totally forgot about him.

But it is still very rare in general for draft eligible defensemen to be playing in the NCAA. Look through draft history, there aren't many examples.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i always have to raise my eyebrows when people go this player didn't impress at the WJC. Most younger players don't. I mean he's eligible (depending on his birthday, yes) to go to two more, one at 18 and one at 19, and I would bet, like most 18-19 year olds would be even better than as they were at 17.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Reaction?

They didn't live up to their draft day hype. But, that's 3 top pairing defenseman. I wouldn't call them busts at all.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
People are down on Strome because he had a poor playoffs but he's going to be a fantastic player in the NHL.

This is such a tough pick at #4, even harder for Arizona at #3.

Carolina will take whoever is left at 5 and he could easily be the best of the 3 with how close these guys are.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Could care less how talented the players or prospects are, would like to see the players picked that are more likely to help you win the cup. Crosby is one of the most talented players in the world, and can sure put up points. But if someone was building a team, how many would take Toews over Crosby. Winning a cup is the only thing that matters.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Could care less how talented the players or prospects are, would like to see the players picked that are more likely to help you win the cup. Crosby is one of the most talented players in the world, and can sure put up points. But if someone was building a team, how many would take Toews over Crosby. Winning a cup is the only thing that matters.

Umm, Crosby has won a Cup. Did you miss that or something?

Until this year Toews and Crosby had appeared in two Stanley Cup Finals. Toews' team won both of theirs and Crosby is 1-1.

How are you supposed to evaluate 17-18 year old players based on who is most likely to help win a Cup?

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

Crosby plays with a bunch of bums, Toews plays with a star-studded lineup. Crosby is so much better than Toews, its not even close. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Crosby plays with a bunch of bums, Toews plays with a star-studded lineup. Crosby is so much better than Toews, its not even close. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Not sure that's accurate.

If the Olympics were next week and we were picking Team Canada today. The number one centre would be Crosby. The number two centre would be Toews.

I think it's safe to say they're both immensely talented players that have won multiple championships in multiple different events.

I would rate both in the top five in the world.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
They didn't live up to their draft day hype. But, that's 3 top pairing defenseman. I wouldn't call them busts at all.

Eric Johnson is pretty much becoming exactly the player he was projected to be. It just didn't happen fast enough for some, and it'll probably take years before his reputation catches up.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Eric Johnson is pretty much becoming exactly the player he was projected to be. It just didn't happen fast enough for some, and it'll probably take years before his reputation catches up.

He also had knee surgery after his first season.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Reaction?

So even less credible than the average HF post.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Reaction?

1)Hanifin isn't any of those guys: just because player X busts doesn't mean player Y will.

2) And most of those guys weren't drafted out of the NCAA - it was the USDP as most draft eligible players aren't eligible to play in the NCAA due to age restrictions-Hanifin was given special exemption academically.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I don't understand why people think Hanifin will not be a good pick because previous NCAA player's busted in top 5. Different situation, different players, different context, etc.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This is a win/win regardless how it unfolds.. Thank god we are finally in a position to have this good decision to make!

the only scenario that would've of been better is winning the lottery and securing McDavid who is on another planet!

My hopes are the Leafs draft Hanni, trade Phaneuf + to the Oil who are lost at D in a package that can get one of their talented forwards over here.

My dream is Hanifin + trade for Draisatal

then get Phaneuf on the quickest airplane out

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Leaf's really don't have the organizational depth to trade for a player like Draisatl. They'd probably be looking for a young defender like Rielly who can make an immediate impact, not something we can really afford to give up.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I'm not giving up any of #4, Nylander or Rielly for LD.

If they want to base a deal around Gardiner and Connor Brown? Sure.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Reaction?

Ryan Suter and Ryan Mcdonaugh more than prove that US league developed Defencemen are good picks.

This should not be used as a stigma in picking good players.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Umm, Crosby has won a Cup. Did you miss that or something?

Until this year Toews and Crosby had appeared in two Stanley Cup Finals. Toews' team won both of theirs and Crosby is 1-1.

How are you supposed to evaluate 17-18 year old players based on who is most likely to help win a Cup?

You clearly didn't read the post.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Yup. Malkin, and Letang are scrubs. Orpik was a waste and Maata is nothing to get excited about. Of course Neal was riding coat tails and Kunitz, well what has he ever done especially in the playoffs? Crosby is one of the best in the world, yet Toews has won more. I guess having the best players is better than winning cups. Of course Ovi is one of the worlds best and a hall of famer, but has yet to win a cup. To some that may not matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad