Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Like the poll results are showing, Marner and Hanifin are about dead even. I'd prefer Hanifin slightly because I want our team to make more of a commitment to defensive play which we haven't done in an awfully long time.

With Marner, he will highlight our dynamic offense. I know he's great in the defensive end too, but with Hanifin, we are building an impressive backend that'll possibly be able to defend against the intense offensive firepower of the East. There will be more of a commitment to defense.

As we've seen in years past with the Leafs, it doesn't really matter how good the d-corps is, if the forwards don't commit to helping them out. And no matter who the coach is, if the players don't have a defensive mind-set, you're going to have a problem getting them to buy in fully.

It's ok to have a few forwards who do their own thing, but having a strong group of 2 way skaters will help a lot.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
If 8 of 10 scouts have Hanifin at 3 and we take Marner at 4 leaving him on the table, I would be asking the same question and be raising a brow.

High Potential Elite D are rare. Nylander is in the same category as Marner IMHO. If Kessel brings back 5-10 and Marner is there, by all means.

I agree with you. If Hanifin is available, we should take him. If he's not, we should take Marner.

Dmen take longer to develop, plus we need everything.

While I believe Marner will be crazily good player, not just offensively, but also very good defensively, I have to go with scouts and their opinion, that Hanifin will be even more important to his team.

Dream scenario is leaving this draft with Hanifin+Marner, but even if we get one of them, we did good job. Well, we did good job drafting, but the hardest part starts there, we have to do great job at developing this guy into superstar that will help us win the Cup.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He clearly said Marner is BPA after Hanifin

draft lists rarely mirror the actual draft... and rarely identify who the best players will be, outside of the top 2 picks.

In the case of Hanifin, who is widely know all year as the slam dunk 3rd best player after 2 special players. It is.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
In the case of Hanifin, who is widely know all year as the slam dunk 3rd best player after 2 special players. It is.

remember when Schenn was a slam dunk at 5th, hell, some services had him higher than that.
Reinhart, too, was a slam-dunk for New York.
Bobby Ryan?

Hunter is well regarded as one of the top scouting minds out there. I'd take his word over the scouting services, and not question his ties to London, simply because it does him no favours to overlook better players for a guy on a junior team he owns.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
remember when Schenn was a slam dunk at 5th, hell, some services had him higher than that.
Bobby Ryan?

Hunter is well regarded as one of the top scouting minds out there. I'd take his word over the scouting services, and not question his ties to London, simply because it does him no favours to overlook better players for a guy on a junior team he owns.

This ain't the same. He has wheels and skill.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bobby Ryan?

Hanifin is not Schenn. And Schenn was rated behind Filatov on many lists that draft.

Hanifin has been the consensus #3 player this draft behind 2 generational talents in Eichel and Mcdavid. He would be #1 most years in a normal draft.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think Hanifin is going to be really good, possibly one of the best d-men in the league, but there is that chance with him that he doesn't turn out to be that guy and is just a solid guy in your line up. I can't help, but think of another just as highly touted US d-man who had the same kind of hype, but to me is just a solid one not a franchise changing one: Eric Johnson.

With Marner I think you are getting as close to a can't miss prospect in the draft (besides McDavid and Eichel) as you can. His creativity, hockey IQ , mobility and 2-way don't allow for him to be average. His brother didn't finish growing until 19 and is 6"3. So he could still end up 6"0 or taller.

Despite the rarity of elite D, we can't afford to not nail this pick. Also, there are a couple of pretty good elite D in the draft next year if we are in the 3rd to 5th pick range named Chychrun and Day that would nice in a Leaf uniform.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bobby Ryan?

Leafs got van Riemsdyk for Schenn years later.

I wanted Colin Wilson, who finally looks like the player he was supposed to be.

Many were upset about moving up to take a defensive d-man.

Eberle was ranked 29th. http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=7125 by McKenzie.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I'll trust Hunter and co.'s judgement on who is BPA between Hanifin, Marner and Strome. I'd personally prefer Hanifin between the 3, but if they think Marner is BPA, then so be it. Hanifin still has a lot of room for improvement at both ends of the ice.. was watching a few highlight videos of BC games and there were instances of Hanifin getting beat wide, or him covering the wrong guy, etc, which end up in GAs. Just highlight/lowlight videos though

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I would say, this is rather a sad presumption on your part. Are you questioning my integrity here Daisy Jane? Please explain?

that's your opinion, no i wasn't, and I did.

I think it's sad and rather pathetic that people are continuing to use the fact that Hunter worked for the Knights, ergo he's going to be biased, or make organizational decisions based on that. Almost everyone is saying it and I think it is crazy, and that some people will use it as an excuse to insult management and the pick.

If 8 of 10 scouts have Hanifin at 3 and we take Marner at 4 leaving him on the table, I would be asking the same question and be raising a brow.

High Potential Elite D are rare. Nylander is in the same category as Marner IMHO. If Kessel brings back 5-10 and Marner is there, by all means.

Why? How many times have people have made a pick that is out there, and it turns out to be an "wow" amazing pick? (it happens on the reverse side too, that Player X dropped).

I stand by what I said: If Hunter & Company goes up at 4 and calls out Hanifin's name - it's because they believe that Hanifin is the best player for us. If they call out Marner's name it's because that they believe that Marner is the best player for us. There wouldn't be any "London" connection.

I find it hard to believe that a man who traded his nephew so that his team could be better, would allow his first NHL draft be marred by knowing someone within the organization he ran before

Whoever is selected will be selected based on being right for where the Leafs want to be, and nothing more.

I know whom I prefer, but I am going to trust management to make the right choice and then we'll see what said pick makes it out for himself.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Why? How many times have people have made a pick that is out there, and it turns out to be an "wow" amazing pick? (it happens on the reverse side too, that Player X dropped).

I stand by what I said: If Hunter & Company goes up at 4 and calls out Hanifin's name - it's because they believe that Hanifin is the best player for us. If they call out Marner's name it's because that they believe that Marner is the best player for us. There wouldn't be any "London" connection.

I find it hard to believe that a man who traded his nephew so that his team could be better, would allow his first NHL draft be marred by knowing someone within the organization he ran before

Whoever is selected will be selected based on being right for where the Leafs want to be, and nothing more.

I know whom I prefer, but I am going to trust management to make the right choice and then we'll see what said pick makes it out for himself.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Yes, I have a preference for who I want them to pick, but I trust they will make the best decision for the team.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Well said. Hunter has nothing to gain by favoring Marner over the others, just because Mitchell was brought up in the Knights' pipeline. It's in Hunter's best interests to pick BPA

It's too bad because you just know we will be reading from a few vocal posters about how the Hunter - London connection led to Mitchell being a Leafs draft pick.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
Although I want to the Leafs to pick Hanifin, I trust in our scouting. Whoever we take with #4 I have sky high hopes for. To be honest If we pick someone who's name isn't Marner, Hanifin, Strome I'll still most likely be okay with the pick.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
This topic is getting very redundant, with the same people posting the same arguments for over a month now.

Who are we picking at 4th? It's very simple..... A STUD, that's who.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well said. Hunter has nothing to gain by favoring Marner over the others, just because Mitchell was brought up in the Knights' pipeline. It's in Hunter's best interests to pick BPA

It's too bad because you just know we will be reading from a few vocal posters about how the Hunter - London connection led to Mitchell being a Leafs draft pick.

and that is what I mean about it being sad. You can even play it in reverse - I know people who are saying that even if a London Knight player was available, Hunter would go out of his way to NOT draft them because it would be seen as potential conflict of interest.

like give me a break.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
and that is what I mean about it being sad. You can even play it in reverse - I know people who are saying that even if a London Knight player was available, Hunter would go out of his way to NOT draft them because it would be seen as potential conflict of interest.

like give me a break.

The only thing sad in this thread is people who value a 160 lbs winger over a very highly regarded D; that has Franchise and Elite potential written all over him. If its true that Strome or Marner are expected to be taken before Hanifin... Plan the parade and select the consensus 3rd best prospect in the draft.

I suppose you could go Burke on this though if you choose to... Ross should have went in the 1st roooound... Yeahhhhh.. No

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Leafs are poised to add a Pietangelo or Giroux, I think you just sit back and just enjoy the ride. The draft cannot come soon enough.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
If the Leafs are poised to add a Pietangelo or Giroux, I think you just sit back and just enjoy the ride. The draft cannot come soon enough.

Exactly mate.

Just sit back and enjoy the gift the Leafs are about to get. It's like Christmas for us :D

Can't wait to get my Hanifin/Marner jersey either.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
that's your opinion, no i wasn't, and I did.

I think it's sad and rather pathetic that people are continuing to use the fact that Hunter worked for the Knights, ergo he's going to be biased, or make organizational decisions based on that.

Almost everyone is saying it and I think it is crazy, and that some people will use it as an excuse to insult management and the pick.

A judge is required and trained to impartial, but would you want one deciding a case for you if your opponent in the case had a personal relationship with the judge?

I don't think there is a wrong decision at 4th. if they stay within the consensus top 5 players in the draft.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
A judge is required and trained to impartial, but would you want one deciding a case for you if your opponent in the case had a personal relationship with the judge?

I don't think there is a wrong decision at 4th. if they stay within the consensus top 5 players in the draft.

Yea, hence why a judge would not be allowed to take such a case.

Hunter knew Marner for a year, let's not pretend they are best friends. No judge would lose his job over an acquaintance, and Hunter will not jeopardize his job because he drafted Marner 2 years ago.

He traded his own nephew, while his brother traded his own son.... Don't seem like guys playing favorites IMO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yea, hence why a judge would not be allowed to take such a case.

Hunter knew Marner for a year, let's not pretend they are best friends. No judge would lose his job over an acquaintance, and Hunter will not jeopardize his job because he drafted Marner 2 years ago.

He traded his own nephew, while his brother traded his own son.... Don't seem like guys playing favorites IMO.

Marner and Hunter are far more than acquaintances. :laugh:

They have a professional business relationship.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Marner and Hunter are far more than acquaintances. :laugh:

They have a professional business relationship.

Really cause I have worked for my company for 15 years, and I only would consider 3 out of 45 employees my "friends". The rest are acquaintances. I have had a professional business relationship with all 45.... not sure what your point is.

Personally, maybe a bit heartless.... but I wouldn't lose my job for any of the 45, which the opinion that most "professionals" would make. It's pretty hard to be "Professional" while showing bias, in fact, it's impossible. Showing bias means you are NOT acting professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad