Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdasman04

Jun 28, 2010
Orillia, ON
You know...sometimes I look at this fan-base and feel sorry because of all the **** we have put up with over the past 10+ years.

But then sometimes I come across discussions like this one And then I say to myself "A substantial portion of this fan-base gets exactly what it deserves with the garbage this team continually serves them up with year after year".

Anybody that actually wants Marner over Hanifin or Strome deserves to have a ****** team.

Like FFS Marner supporters!! Wake up!!

There is a reason why he was between 5-7 on almost every scout's list and Hanifin was #3 ALL YEAR!!

Take a lap. You want to know what gives this fan base a bad name? Fans who speak in absolutes like you, when in reality I'm sure you haven't seen either play very much. It's fine you have an opinion but don't speak for everyone on something like this as if everyone who doesn't agree is the problem.

There is absolutely no reason this can't be debated and if you had any clue as to who these players are you would know a debate is appropriate. I would be fine with either. And yes, I lean Marner here. Since when do NHL teams always follow the consensus scout lists? Never. Calm down. Learn about the players and be happy with who we get.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Size means nothing. Just look at Claude Giroux.

How many Claude Giroux come out every year. There's hundreds of players who aren't Claude Giroux.

Size is important. It means a lot. Very few exceptions especially when you're talking about a center.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
You know...sometimes I look at this fan-base and feel sorry because of all the **** we have put up with over the past 10+ years.

But then sometimes I come across discussions like this one And then I say to myself "A substantial portion of this fan-base gets exactly what it deserves with the garbage this team continually serves them up with year after year".

Anybody that actually wants Marner over Hanifin or Strome deserves to have a ****** team.

There is a reason why he was between 5-7 on almost every scout's list and Hanifin was #3 ALL YEAR!!

I agree with this. People are obsessed with skilled wingers even though size matters in this league. I'm not saying Marner won't be good, I'm saying he's not BPA. You always take BPA.

If Hanifin or Strome are BPA at 4, you got to go with BPA. Kind of curious to why you think Hanifin and Strome are the BPA over Marner.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
If we took Marner over Hanifin I wouldn't be upset, we're drafting so high in such a deep draft that it's okay for me. Marner still projects as a top liner on this team.

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation

people forming there own opinions how dare they...how dare they disagree with scouts and have a brain of there own and form a opinion on what player they like more.

I come across posters like you and say to myself no wonder this fan base gets the reputation it does.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
If we took Marner over Hanifin I wouldn't be upset, we're drafting so high in such a deep draft that it's okay for me. Marner still projects as a top liner on this team.

We need to pick the BPA at 4. It's really important, that we get this right.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

I can't see how anyone could be upset at hanifin, marner or Strome. Some might have a preference, but all 3 are great prospects and none of them are straight away out of the other two's league. Not like we're taking someone ranked 20th here.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

So which games that Hanifin played this year really made you feel he was the clear #3?

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
people forming there own opinions how dare they...how dare they disagree with scouts and have a brain of there own and form a opinion on what player they like more.

I come across posters like you and say to myself no wonder this fan base gets the reputation it does.

Fans can have their own opinions, but they need to have a reason for justifying those opinions.

Ultimately, whoever the Leafs decide to pick at 4 will be decided by Hunter and the Leafs scouts, and the best we can do is put our faith in them.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
How many Claude Giroux come out every year. There's hundreds of players who aren't Claude Giroux.

Size is important. It means a lot. Very few exceptions especially when you're talking about a center.

This is just so stupidly wrong, its mind boggling.

Here are your top scoring centres of 2014-2015:

1. Tavares
2. Crosby
3. Backstrom
4. Seguin
5. Sedin
6. Giroux
7. Stamkos
8. Johnson

I don't see a damn big centre in that group. Give your head a shake.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

1. Tavares
2. Crosby
3. Backstrom
4. Seguin
5. Sedin
6. Giroux
7. Stamkos
8. Johnson

"But, but, but the LA Kings won 2 cups in 3 years and they have big centers!"

Yeah. Getzlaf and Kopitar type centers are awesome to have but they are by no means whatsoever a requirement to have in order to win a cup.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

1. Tavares
2. Crosby
3. Backstrom
4. Seguin
5. Sedin
6. Giroux
7. Stamkos
8. Johnson

How many of those are Marner's size? My point was size matters in response to the idea that size doesn't mean anything.

How about giving your head a shake.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
How many of those are Marner's size? My point was size matters in response to the idea that size doesn't mean anything.

Height wise, all within 2 inches I think with the best player in the NHl the same height. I can understand caution in regards to his weight, but his height is nowhere near an issue

Leaf Warrior

Jan 16, 2015

Gilmore 5 ft 10

both #93....its meant to be!

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto

I should've rephrased it. I don't mean that it's worthless in absolutes. I mean that size shouldn't be the pre-dominant factor in evaluating a player's potential success. Look at Tampa Bay's overall roster. Hell, look at Johnny Gaudreau. I'm not saying that Marner's for sure going to do well, but the whole "I don't like him because he's small" argument is flawed.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

Tavares- 6'0
Crosby- 5'11
Backstrom- 6'0
Seguin- 6'1
Sedin- 6'2
Giroux- 5'11
Stamkos- 5'11
Johnson- 5'9

Heights are based off Hockey's Future pages for the players, so they are heights for them as prospects (except for Sedin, as he's too old). Marner is already 5'11, the same height as Crosby, Giroux, and Stamkos, and one inch shorter than Backstrom and Tavares. If you think that will hold him back in the NHL, I don't know what to say. Also, he's 17, he can still grow.

If you're gonna bring up weight, I will again just laugh.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I should've rephrased it. I don't mean that it's worthless in absolutes. I mean that size shouldn't be the pre-dominant factor in evaluating a player's potential success. Look at Tampa Bay's overall roster. Hell, look at Johnny Gaudreau. I'm not saying that Marner's for sure going to do well, but the whole "I don't like him because he's small" argument is flawed.

I agree with this. Thanks for clarifying. I actually like Marner.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Tavares- 6'0
Crosby- 5'11
Backstrom- 6'0
Seguin- 6'1
Sedin- 6'2
Giroux- 5'11
Stamkos- 5'11
Johnson- 5'9

Heights are based off Hockey's Future pages for the players, so they are heights for them as prospects (except for Sedin, as he's too old). Marner is already 5'11, the same height as Crosby, Giroux, and Stamkos, and one inch shorter than Backstrom and Tavares. If you think that will hold him back in the NHL, I don't know what to say. Also, he's 17, he can still grow.

If you're gonna bring up weight, I will again just laugh.

I wouldn't bring up weight. That's just dumb. He can add it. I think you're misunderstanding me, I like Marner. I was responding to the notion that size isn't important.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
I wouldn't bring up weight. That's just dumb. He can add it. I think you're misunderstanding me, I like Marner. I was responding to the notion that size isn't important.

Sorry then, I misunderstood you. It's hard to keep track when there are several posters sharing in a similar argument ;)

I just get very frustrated with people's criticisms of Marner. If people want to criticize Marner as a player, then fine. To criticize him for not being big, or for not "being a centre" (which clearly shows they didn't actually watch his playoffs), is putting this team on the wrong track.

I wonder if Noah Hanifin was 6'0 if people would still want him over Strome/Marner?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Sorry then, I misunderstood you. It's hard to keep track when there are several posters sharing in a similar argument ;)

I just get very frustrated with people's criticisms of Marner. If people want to criticize Marner as a player, then fine. To criticize him for not being big, or for not "being a centre" (which clearly shows they didn't actually watch his playoffs), is putting this team on the wrong track.

I wonder if Noah Hanifin was 6'0 if people would still want him over Strome/Marner?
I get that perspective. Though I think it's equally frustrating for the counter argument being "well if this guy was shorter, he wouldn't be rated as high." First, he isn't shorter and second there's nothing wrong with a player making use of his assets which size is. Guys can be amazing players despite not being tall, but being tall isn't a negative in itself either. If you radically change an aspect of someone of course their draft position would change. It'd be like saying would Marner be rated where he was if his skating was terrible? Obviously not.

Be nice if we could just be happy with any of the guys available at our spot. Marner would be a great pick because of the excellent skillset he has, just like Marner and Strome would be because of their strengths. The only thing I worry with Marner is his ability to avoid harmful contact. Missing the rest of his series with Erie due to injury isn't the best last impression to make for his season. Though everyone gets hurt so it's not the biggest deal.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

I like Hanifin over Marner and Strome. But if we got Marner I wouldn't be upset. What's great about picking fourth is you're going to get a good player. I think Marner has some of the intangibles you can't teach. He will be an amazing addition.

The only player I'm apprehensive about is Strome, mostly for the opposite reason. I think he's getting more credit for his size than skills now. And I'm concerned about his skating.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I get that perspective. Though I think it's equally frustrating for the counter argument being "well if this guy was shorter, he wouldn't be rated as high." First, he isn't shorter and second there's nothing wrong with a player making use of his assets which size is. Guys can be amazing players despite not being tall, but being tall isn't a negative in itself either. If you radically change an aspect of someone of course their draft position would change. It'd be like saying would Marner be rated where he was if his skating was terrible? Obviously not.

Be nice if we could just be happy with any of the guys available at our spot. Marner would be a great pick because of the excellent skillset he has, just like Marner and Strome would be because of their strengths. The only thing I worry with Marner is his ability to avoid harmful contact. Missing the rest of his series with Erie due to injury isn't the best last impression to make for his season. Though everyone gets hurt so it's not the biggest deal.

Agree totally. Some nitpick so much they can't see how good a player we are getting regardless of which one it is

I like Hanifin over Marner and Strome. But if we got Marner I wouldn't be upset. What's great about picking fourth is you're going to get a good player. I think Marner has some of the intangibles you can't teach. He will be an amazing addition.

The only player I'm apprehensive about is Strome, mostly for the opposite reason. I think he's getting more credit for his size than skills now. And I'm concerned about his skating.

Nothing wrong with Strome's skill. You are literally the first person I've seen question it, which is nitpicking on a whole other level

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

Just if you critique a player, critique his game. Not his body. If you want to critique Marner's size, say he doesn't engage in corner battles, doesn't go to the dirty areas etc. Of course if you make those critiques you haven't seen him play, but I digress.

What is so scary with Strome? Even without McDavid, he scored at 1.67PPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad