Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't bring up weight. That's just dumb. He can add it. I think you're misunderstanding me, I like Marner. I was responding to the notion that size isn't important.
If we draft Marner, he can be easily complemented with larger wingers. I think size is a lot more important along the boards especially if we want to utilise a playmaking centre.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Take a lap. You want to know what gives this fan base a bad name? Fans who speak in absolutes like you, when in reality I'm sure you haven't seen either play very much. It's fine you have an opinion but don't speak for everyone on something like this as if everyone who doesn't agree is the problem.

There is absolutely no reason this can't be debated and if you had any clue as to who these players are you would know a debate is appropriate. I would be fine with either. And yes, I lean Marner here. Since when do NHL teams always follow the consensus scout lists? Never. Calm down. Learn about the players and be happy with who we get.

Well when Hanifin has been ranked #3 by scouts all year and Marner has been between 5-7, that should say something.

Size matters in today's NHL.

If we were discussing Hanifin vs Strome then yes there would be a logical debate.

But Hanifin vs Marner? Are you kidding me right now?

Marner has Kadri 2.0 written all over him.

I get Marner had 126 points in the regular season and has 16 points in 7 games so far in the playoffs But, just because you are an elite scorer In the OHL/AHL doesn't mean it will carry over to the NHL. Especially when you are undersized.

Like, seriously? How do you guys not get this?

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
If we draft Marner, he can be easily complemented with larger wingers. I think size is a lot more important along the boards especially if we want to utilise a playmaking centre.

If Leafs brass feel that Marner is the BPA amongst: Hanifin, Strome, and Marner and we pick Marner and convert him to C, we have to keep JVR. JVR would be that huge winger that could potentially complement someone like Marner.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Well when Hanifin has been ranked #3 by scouts all year and Marner has been between 5-7, that should say something.

If we were discussing Hanifin vs Strome then yes there would be a logical debate.

I get Marner had 126 points in the regular season and has 16 points in 7 games so far in the playoffs But, just because you are an elite scorer In the OHL/AHL doesn't mean it will carry over to the NHL. Especially when you are undersized.

In Kadri's age 17 season he had LESS THAN HALF (65 points in 68 games) of Marner's points per game.

How can you have such a strong argument without watching these players play? Like, my mind is literally blown that you could care so much without actually knowing what you're talking about.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
In Kadri's age 17 season he had LESS THAN HALF (65 points in 68 games) of Marner's points per game.

How can you have such a strong argument without watching these players play? Like, my mind is literally blown that you could care so much without actually knowing what you're talking about.

Those are Crouse numbers ;)

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation
If Leafs brass feel that Marner is the BPA amongst: Hanifin, Strome, and Marner and we pick Marner and convert him to C, we have to keep JVR. JVR would be that huge winger that could potentially complement someone like Marner.

or just suck again next year and draft a guy like Puljujärvi 6'3 or Sokolov 6'2 :nod:

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
We can't have Hanifin become the next Aki Berg who was taken 3rd overall in the 1995 draft and was a 6'3 defenseman, and we can't have Strome become the next Chad Kilger who was taken 4th overall in the 1995 draft and was projected to become a big 6'4 center.

Even though Iginia is 6'1, and is smaller than both Berg and Kilger, he was drafted later and become a better player than both Berg and Kilger.

I'm not advocating Marner, as I haven't watched any of: Hanifin, Strome, or Marner, but the Leafs really need to get this right.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm literally dying so true, just seems like so many people on here are a bit over their heads when arguing with people who actually take the time to watch. I could't believe the comparison but when I realized he was probably 12 i cooled down:laugh:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The Leafs really need to get this right.

We can't have Hanifin become the next Aki Berg who was taken 3rd overall in the 1995 draft and was a 6'3 defenseman, and we can't have Strome become the next Chad Kilger who was taken 4th overall in the 1995 draft and was projected to become a big 6'4 center.

or Marner be the next Robbie Schremp. We are using ridiculous comparisons right?

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Is Cam Fowler a good comp for Hanifin?

No, not really. Fowler is a lot more creative offensively and takes a lot more chances (and subsequently, makes more mistakes) than Hanifin does. Hanifin is just an extremely mobile player, great at closing gaps, doesn't get beaten, makes a solid first pass etc. He doesn't have Fowler's offensive game.

If I had to compare Hanifin to a player, I like the Bouwmeester comparison. I also think Vlasic would be a pretty good one. Again, this is based on my viewings of Hanifin.

cdasman04

Jun 28, 2010
Orillia, ON

Do I really need to respond to this? This size thing is so over blown it's ridiculous. He's not that small, in fact there's a very healthy list of star players around his height and projected weight. This myth that you need giants to win in this era is a little ridiculous

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
or Marner be the next Robbie Schremp. We are using ridiculous comparisons right?

My point is we need to avoid those types of mistakes made by other teams in the 1995 draft. We need to be careful that they don't become the next Aki Berg, Chad Kilger, or Robbie Schremp.

I trust that the Leafs brass will put in the necessary time to select the right guy and BPA at 4.

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation
Hanifin just lacks the wow factor for me to be this high.

Doughty wows me, Karlsson wows me, Subban wows me....Hanifin just is very vanilla.

I want wow with a pick this high, I want Marner

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
If Hanifin is available at 4 we take him and it shouldn't even be a discussion. There's a reason he's the consensus #3 pick.

Good point, last year we should have taken Ritchie as well. He was the consensus 6th pick. Real stupid not to take him when he slipped to 8, right?

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
If he's the consensus #3 pick (I agree fwiw), why would he be available at #4?

He may be the consensus #3 pick by the scouts, but maybe Arizona will have a different opinion of who they think is the 3rd best pick in this draft.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Hanifin just lacks the wow factor for me to be this high.

Doughty wows me, Karlsson wows me, Subban wows me....Hanifin just is very vanilla.

I want wow with a pick this high, I want Marner

Neidermayer, Lidstrom didn't wow anyone and they are superior players to everyone you named. I see hockey a lot like soccer, you want to be dominating possession.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
If he's the consensus #3 pick (I agree fwiw), why would he be available at #4?

Arizona is kind of a wildcard picking at 3. They have SO many good, mobile, young D and are starving for offense. Maybe the opportunity to take Strome (big #1C) or Marner (to reunite him with Domi & Dvorak) will be too great to pass up. That's my logic anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad