Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I don't see the similarity at all..Rob Blake would rattle you into the boards and could be very physical...Hanifin is more like Gardiner in that regard.

Lol Gardiner. I get you don't like Hanifin, or really want Marner but you don't know the player enough to compare him to Gardiner, sorry.

And yeah I'll take the scout's opinion on the Rob Blake comp. He's comparing his strength to Blake's strength, not being rattled are all good things.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I don't know that he has Niedermeyer's offensive skills. I'm a Michigan hockey fan and so I really haven't seen a lot of Hanifin. But his skating sure looks like Niedermeyer. Guy is a fanatastic skater. Better skater than Werenski.

So hard to judge the two in that regard. Neidermeyer was still playing int he wide open 80's style offensively so the points were jacked, but I agree about the skating. he's also better defensively by far than Neidermeyer in his draft season. He'll likely be better all the way through his career as well. Neidermeyer's defense was facilitated by his skating the puck out of danger and decent, but not great angles.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think you guys will pick Marner. He has Patty Kane written all over him. Easily the 2nd most talented offensive player in the draft. He has 1st OA talent. Him and Nylander would give you guys some fun hockey to watch.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I think you guys will pick Marner. He has Patty Kane written all over him. Easily the 2nd most talented offensive player in the draft. He has 1st OA talent. Him and Nylander would give you guys some fun hockey to watch.

Considering he's better defensively than Eichel, one of you is wrong.

CalgaryLeaf*

So hard to judge the two in that regard. Neidermeyer was still playing int he wide open 80's style offensively so the points were jacked, but I agree about the skating. he's also better defensively by far than Neidermeyer in his draft season. He'll likely be better all the way through his career as well. Neidermeyer's defense was facilitated by his skating the puck out of danger and decent, but not great angles.

The difference is Neidermeyer could stick handle like an allstar center at high speeds...He was unbelievable.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Lol Gardiner. I get you don't like Hanifin, or really want Marner but you don't know the player enough to compare him to Gardiner, sorry.

And yeah I'll take the scout's opinion on the Rob Blake comp. He's comparing his strength to Blake's strength, not being rattled are all good things.
Hanifin is cerebral but he can be physical if required. He's not Gardiner at all and when it comes to moving the puck, he'll surpass Rielly who is more of a puck rusher.

Having said that, I can see Hanifin being taken at #3. Arizona needs defensive help a lot more than offence. He's the BPA as well and Mathews will be available in the 2016 draft.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The difference is Neidermeyer could stick handle like an allstar center at high speeds...He was unbelievable.

What I meant basically by skating out. Offensively his instincts were already in pro mode at age 17. Hanifin might never approach Neidermeyer offensively, although i would still guess 40 points regularly, but he should be better defensively

CalgaryLeaf*

I never said that I don't like him...I just like Strome & Marner better...It's really difficult to envision how good a 17 year old defenseman will be in 5 years time. I'm sure the scouts aren't wrong about him...I just don't see super high end in this prospect,but I haven't watched him much...It's just a gut feeling.

I'm the first to admit that I haven't watched him enough and my opinion may be off based.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think Hanifin would do the most to bring the goals against down for the Leafs. I also seem him as captain material. He really doesn't have any flaws in his game. Plus, he's a Boston fan and I really hate Boston so maybe we can flaunt that in their faces.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I think Hanifin would do the most to bring the goals against down for the Leafs. I also seem him as captain material. He really doesn't have any flaws in his game. Plus, he's a Boston fan and I really hate Boston so maybe we can flaunt that in their faces.

And this is our biggest issue. Until January, we had elite level offence in the NHL over the past 4 seasons.

When we made the playoffs, we scored enough goals.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I wouldn't be that thrilled with Werenski. He's not great at anything. Sure he likes to take more chances than Hanifin but he's not exactly Brian Leetch.

CalgaryLeaf*

What I meant basically by skating out. Offensively his instincts were already in pro mode at age 17. Hanifin might never approach Neidermeyer offensively, although i would still guess 40 points regularly, but he should be better defensively

I think Neidermeyer was a lot faster than Rielly or Gardiner...He could also throw body checks like a tank. Check out this clip at 13:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhtsPZ9cnIs

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not sure if I see Niedermayer in Hanifin. One thing that Scott did extremely well was his puck rushing. He would be like a fourth forward while Rafalksi was the prototypical puck mover.

I think he's more like Lidstrom where he is faster through the puck. In other words, he's feeding the forwards with speed instead of entering the offensive zone with the forwards. He's not like Gardiner. He's not like Rielly or even Niedermayer.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I think Neidermeyer was a lot faster than Rielly or Gardiner...He could also throw body checks like a tank. Check out this clip at 13:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhtsPZ9cnIs

Why is this vid not loading?..I used the YouTube feature in here.

I've watched that before. One only needs to remember who was on the ice for that goal at 14 minutes. Two top 15 ever dmen and he went through them

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm not sure if I see Niedermayer in Hanifin. One thing that Scott did extremely well was his puck rushing. He would be like a fourth forward while Rafalksi was the prototypical puck mover.

I think he's more like Lidstrom where he is faster through the puck. In other words, he's feeding the forwards with speed instead of entering the offensive zone with the forwards. He's not like Gardiner. He's not like Rielly or even Niedermayer.

I'm only referencing the skating, although admittedly Neids is better in that regard. I also didn't bring him up, just commenting on him. Better skater than Lidstrom and I think Lidstrom was always a smarter player. Hanifin has a lot of guys you could start to compare to, but then get to a point where he starts to look like someone else and so on. And yes, he is definitely not Gardiner

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

youtube.com/watch?v=dhtsPZ9cnIs

Why is this vid not loading?..I used the YouTube feature in here.

Just put the stuff after the equal sign as highlighted above.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
If Hanifin has all the tools and can be a difference maker, that is really good for a defensemen.

Ultimately, the best players are difference makers, they might not be flashy, but they do the little things right, which help the team win. They're always in the right spot, and prevent developing plays that are detrimental for the team from occurring.

If there's a forward out there who has elite offensive ability and has the tools to be a difference maker defensively, that is also really good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad