Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Hanifin just lacks the wow factor for me to be this high.

Doughty wows me, Karlsson wows me, Subban wows me....Hanifin just is very vanilla.

I want wow with a pick this high, I want Marner

Wow can also be a "wow, what a bust!" Not talking about any specific player, I like Marner and think he'll be a very good player. Just that you can't really draft a guy with that mindset. If Hanifin is anything close to Neidermayer or Rob Blake, you're laughing.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm literally dying so true, just seems like so many people on here are a bit over their heads when arguing with people who actually take the time to watch. I could't believe the comparison but when I realized he was probably 12 i cooled down:laugh:

Not sure you know what literally means. If you are about to die, you should probably be spending your last moments a bit more productively.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Wow can also be a "wow, what a bust!" Not talking about any specific player, I like Marner and think he'll be a very good player. Just that you can't really draft a guy with that mindset. If Hanifin is anything close to Neidermayer or Rob Blake, you're laughing.

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm actually just curious. What about Hanifin's skilset is similar to Rob Blake or Scott Neidermayer?

I've watched ~7-10 games of his, and he looks like Vlasic to me. Blake and Neidermayer were elite offensive dman, where Hanifin is mobile and great in transition, but leaves much to be desired in the offensive zone (personally).

He does have a pretty good shot though. If he uses it more maybe he can take a real step forward. He seems to struggle with when to use his shot and when to pass in the offensive zone, which worries me a bit.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
My point is we need to avoid those types of mistakes made by other teams in the 1995 draft. We need to be careful that they don't become the next Aki Berg, Chad Kilger, or Robbie Schremp.

I trust that the Leafs brass will put in the necessary time to select the right guy and BPA at 4.

Seemed like you just wanted a narrative where marner was the only good pick.

He may be the consensus #3 pick by the scouts, but maybe Arizona will have a different opinion of who they think is the 3rd best pick in this draft.

Fair enough. When I hear consensus though, I figure everyone, not some.

Arizona is kind of a wildcard picking at 3. They have SO many good, mobile, young D and are starving for offense. Maybe the opportunity to take Strome (big #1C) or Marner (to reunite him with Domi & Dvorak) will be too great to pass up. That's my logic anyway.

OEL and ? I think they are getting tired of waiting for Gormley to be what they hoped he would and out of the rest, maybe Stone is another decent one. After that though, they have no one. They do have some decent offensive players coming though. Domi, Perlini, Dvorak, Duclair, Bunting, Samuelson ect. None extremely high end though, so anything could happen I suppose.

cdasman04

Jun 28, 2010
Orillia, ON
This is basically just a "are you kidding me, you always do consensus BPA!" vs "Free scout lists are not our paid scout lists! Drafts never go to the plan of those free consensus lists!" argument.

At the end of the day if it's Marner vs Hanifin no one can judge Marner better than Hunter. If he takes him, you know he's got all the info and then some to make that decision.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm actually just curious. What about Hanifin's skilset is similar to Rob Blake or Scott Neidermayer?

I've watched ~7-10 games of his, and he looks like Vlasic to me. Blake and Neidermayer were elite offensive dman, where Hanifin is mobile and great in transition, but leaves much to be desired in the offensive zone (personally).

He does have a pretty good shot though. If he uses it more maybe he can take a real step forward. He seems to struggle with when to use his shot and when to pass in the offensive zone, which worries me a bit.

Neidermeyer, in his draft year had 82 points. 2 other dmen had over 100...on his team. There is a comparable there with skating and defense. Blake had 13 points in his draft season in NCAA and wasn't what he ended up being.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Did you ever watch either of those players :laugh:

They wow'd me a whole heck of a lot.

I grew up in Michigan, Lidstrom was like watching grass grow. Didn't skate fast, not a great shot, not physical in the least, didn't take chances, never out of position, great at placing his stick in the perfect position to prevent you from getting a shot, hell I'm getting bored just thinking about it.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Neidermeyer, in his draft year had 82 points. 2 other dmen had over 100...on his team. There is a comparable there with skating and defense. Blake had 13 points in his draft season in NCAA and wasn't what he ended up being.

I didn't mention points, I mean actually watching Hanifin. His production isn't amazing but isn't terrible either. I'm speaking about viewings.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

“For an old school guy, he’s maybe like a Rob Blake kind of guy,†a Western Conference amateur scout said. “That big, that strong can skate, can do it both ways. Just one of those big horses every good team in the league has one or more of those guys. He’s going to be one of those guys who will be a fixture for a long time you can rely on a lot and using in all situations. “

I hear you about his offensive game. I think that could be improved as he develops. I like that you barely notice him because he rarely makes the wrong decision. Neidermayer to me was a guy who just made every good decision. He never got rattled. That's why I think he was so good in the playoffs. Hanifin Rielly for years to come would be amazing.

Again, if we took Marner here I would be very happy too. I think the only way I'll be upset on draft day is if we went off board.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

He already transitions the puck thru the neutral zone better than pickles. If he has vlasics defensive game already, combined with his high iq (on and off the ice) his in zone offensive game will come. Nieds best assets were between the ears and his feet, hanifin is much the same, his transition game/offense is already there. Keep in mind he's a 17 year old playing against men in the hockey east conference, he also plays for a very low scoring team in what is traditionally a lower scoring league as a whole.
Don't see the Blake comparison frankly.
Build from the net out. Stack the blue line.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I didn't mention points, I mean actually watching Hanifin. His production isn't amazing but isn't terrible either. I'm speaking about viewings.

OK. Most point to his offense. What about Neidermeyer in his draft year doesn't make you think Hanifin is comparable? Blake?

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

In fairness you said you watched 7-10 games of Hanifin. That's not really enough to truly scout him. I've watched about 4-5. So that's why we have to rely on scouts who see these players day in and day out.

That being said ISS have Strome replacing Hanifin as #3 on April 1st.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I grew up in Michigan, Lidstrom was like watching grass grow. Didn't skate fast, not a great shot, not physical in the least, didn't take chances, never out of position, great at placing his stick in the perfect position to prevent you from getting a shot, hell I'm getting bored just thinking about it.

Bore me to sleep with 20 years of that though, if hanifin is even half of Nik he's the guy you take if available.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
In fairness you said you watched 7-10 games of Hanifin. That's not really enough to truly scout him. I've watched about 4-5. So that's why we have to rely on scouts who see these players day in and day out.

That's about what I have and I'll argue all day with him :laugh:

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

That is true, sample size is an issue there. Most of my viewings are WJC viewings as well, so maybe he didn't figure as prominently. Fellow countryman Werenski was more featured offensively, which I find interesting.

OK. Most point to his offense. What about Neidermeyer in his draft year doesn't make you think Hanifin is comparable? Blake?

Lord knows I didn't watch either of those guys in their draft year, I can only comment on their NHL play. They were dominant offensive players, and I don't know if Hanifin will be that good offensively. Just seems like too passive of a player, especially offensively. I see what Craig Button is saying (ranking him 12th is ridiculous though).

CalgaryLeaf*

Lidstrom was a genius on the ice...He had perfect anticipation and made things look effortless...I'm from Windsor and watched a ton of his games too.

Lidstrom also had 1142 career points including 264 goals..Not bad for a boring D-man!

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
That is true, sample size is an issue there. Most of my viewings are WJC viewings as well, so maybe he didn't figure as prominently. Fellow countryman Werenski was more featured offensively, which I find interesting.

Would you be upset if we drafted Hanifin with Marner still on the board?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Lidstrom was a genius on the ice...He had perfect anticipation and made things look effortless...I'm from Windsor and watched a ton of his games too.

Lidstrom also had 1142 career points including 264 goals..Not bad for a boring D-man!

Yeah, he always got his shot on net and was smart enough that he didn't shoot without traffic hardly ever. It's like Dirty Harry said "man has got to know his limitations" and Lidstrom was very aware of his.

CalgaryLeaf*

“For an old school guy, he’s maybe like a Rob Blake kind of guy,†a Western Conference amateur scout said. “That big, that strong can skate, can do it both ways. Just one of those big horses every good team in the league has one or more of those guys. He’s going to be one of those guys who will be a fixture for a long time you can rely on a lot and using in all situations. “

I hear you about his offensive game. I think that could be improved as he develops. I like that you barely notice him because he rarely makes the wrong decision. Neidermayer to me was a guy who just made every good decision. He never got rattled. That's why I think he was so good in the playoffs. Hanifin Rielly for years to come would be amazing.

Again, if we took Marner here I would be very happy too. I think the only way I'll be upset on draft day is if we went off board.

I don't see the similarity at all..Rob Blake would rattle you into the boards and could be very physical...Hanifin is more like Gardiner in that regard.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Would you be upset if we drafted Hanifin with Marner still on the board?

Personally, yea. I've watched Marner a ton this year being based in London, so I probably have 20ish views of him, plus the top prospects game.

Every time he touches the puck something happens. He's a cold-blooded killer out there. So underrated defensively as well, he picks peoples pockets like its his day job. He's just.... a special player.

I think Hanifin is a wonderful skater, and he has top pairing upside. The opportunity cost of drafting him is what I fear.

I don't see the similarity at all..Rob Blake would rattle you into the boards and could be very physical...Hanifin is more like Gardiner in that regard.

Yea, what this guy said. Except maybe ditch the Gardiner part, that's just cruel.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I don't know that he has Niedermeyer's offensive skills. I'm a Michigan hockey fan and so I really haven't seen a lot of Hanifin. But his skating sure looks like Niedermeyer. Guy is a fantastic skater. Better skater than Werenski.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Lord knows I didn't watch either of those guys in their draft year, I can only comment on their NHL play. They were dominant offensive players, and I don't know if Hanifin will be that good offensively. Just seems like too passive of a player, especially offensively. I see what Craig Button is saying (ranking him 12th is ridiculous though).

I didn't see Blake, so I can't comment, but Neidermeyer was Rielly essentially. No need for defense because they went for it. Boston is a far more defensive team in that respect so unless someone is sure he ahs the green light (he doesn't as far as I can see) I'm not sure why some think he is too cautious when that whole team is cautious. It's their style of play. It's the same for Crouse. Everyone points to his stats, but they play a defensive game and wait for breakdowns by the other team. Until bennett came back, there was no one on that team who could break the other side down by himself. For the record, I still think bennett was the best player last year and would easily, easily take him 3rd this season.

CalgaryLeaf*

Personally, yea. I've watched Marner a ton this year being based in London, so I probably have 20ish views of him, plus the top prospects game.

Every time he touches the puck something happens. He's a cold-blooded killer out there. So underrated defensively as well, he picks peoples pockets like its his day job. He's just.... a special player.

I think Hanifin is a wonderful skater, and he has top pairing upside. The opportunity cost of drafting him is what I fear.

Yea, what this guy said. Except maybe ditch the Gardiner part, that's just cruel.

Did I take it too far?...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad