Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chungo

Dec 7, 2010
Hanifin and Reilly would be a great combination moving forward. We've always drafted defensemen and it looks like we need forwards, but until Percy and the rest of them get to the squad, I would rather draft from the net out.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Willie is 5'11" 184lbs.
He will easily add another +10lbs.
He is not small.

CalgaryLeaf*

HockeyPwns who narrates this video says:

Again he's playing against a crappy Germany team

1. Hanifin is a cerebral player.

2. He's a smart & safe player and that's probably what you'll see in the future.

3. Non physical player..Hasn't shown a lot of snarl to his game.Compared him to Rob Scuderi in terms of physicality.

4.Played on the PK and used sparingly on the PP (until the third period against Germany when USA had a very sizeable lead)

5. Low risk player positionally and passing

6. Conservative player

7. Plays angles well

8. Moves the puck well,protects the puck well

9. Canon of a slap shot he used only once that game.

10. Will dip offensively as he gets older and against better competition.

11. Lacks decisiveness with the puck when shooting.Doesn't get shots off immediately or create dangerous plays against the opposition.(remind anyone of Gardiner?)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You mean they should be saying that he will be one of those two? McDonagh wasn't even ranked in the top 10 his draft year and Pietrangelo was the third defenseman taken. NH has been top 4 on most lists all season long, and the number 1 D prospect. I think its safe to assume he has that level of potential. Whether he can fulfill it is the same crap shoot as with any other prospect. This is from FC so take with a grain of salt but these are similar comments to what others have been saying all year. A #1 defenseman in all areas.

"The 2015 draft’s top defenseman…a smart and powerful two-way force… big, but very mobile... moves well with good speed and agility…uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play"

No, I'm saying unless OUR scouts determine he's got that kind of upside, I don't really want to take him and have him top out as a Jay Bouwmeester level defenseman who can't anchor a blueline but is a good complimentary piece.

Whomever we pick this June at 4th overall HAS to be a cornerstone piece.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Skill wise I think he is, but I can already predict that the fanbase is going to go all chuck norris on Shanahan when he ices yet another small highly skilled winger team that doesn't win enough.

He's a (non-small) skilled player that isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. Leaf fans will like that.

I also think if anyone is shopping a 6-10 pick, Leafs will jump all over it to try & add a complimentary player.

Hogzilla

Mar 5, 2014
St. Catharines, Ont
Leafs finally have a chance to draft an elite centre who's also a local boy and actually wants to play here.

It was be very unfortunate if they don't pick Marner or Strome.

Our #1 for years to come.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You know...sometimes I look at this fan-base and feel sorry because of all the **** we have put up with over the past 10+ years.

But then sometimes I come across discussions like this one And then I say to myself "A substantial portion of this fan-base gets exactly what it deserves with the garbage this team continually serves them up with year after year".

Anybody that actually wants Marner over Hanifin or Strome deserves to have a ****** team.

Like FFS Marner supporters!! Wake up!!

There is a reason why he was between 5-7 on almost every scout's list and Hanifin was #3 ALL YEAR!!

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
You know...sometimes I look at this fan-base and feel sorry because of all the **** we have put up with over the past 10+ years.

But then sometimes I come across discussions like this one And then I say to myself "A substantial portion of this fan-base gets exactly what it deserves with the garbage this team continually serves them up with year after year".

Anybody that actually wants Marner over Hanifin or Strome deserves to have a ****** team.

There is a reason why he was between 5-7 on most analysts lists and Hanifin was #3 ALL YEAR!!

He's lost to both Strome and hanifin in these polls. I'd say that puts him 5th, no?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That very likely is the key criterion to keep in mind. And it sounds like Marner has the better potential to become a cornerstone than does Hanifin, at least in terms of the scouting opinion that I have read.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
lol please, they are the average size of current 1c's.

Talk to me in 5 years and see where these guys are playing.

Matthews is still playing with kids. But I could see him ending up as an NHL centre, however it all depends on how he develops as a 200 ft player. Its impossible to get a good read until he starts playing against better competition, and as it is I'm guess he's going the NCAA route, so we wont see him play against top tier talent night in night out until he gets to the N.

I would bet a lot of money Marner and Nylander never get a sniff as NHL centres. Both are destined for the wings based on their style and size.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Talk to me in 5 years and see where these guys are playing.

Matthews is still playing with kids. But I could see him ending up as an NHL centre, however it all depends on how he develops as a 200 ft player. Its impossible to get a good read until he starts playing against better competition, and as it is I'm guess he's going the NCAA route, so we wont see him play against top tier talent night in night out until he gets to the N.

I would bet a lot of money Marner and Nylander never get a sniff as NHL centres. Both are destined for the wings based on their style and size.

Size means nothing. Just look at Claude Giroux.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No, I'm saying unless OUR scouts determine he's got that kind of upside, I don't really want to take him and have him top out as a Jay Bouwmeester level defenseman who can't anchor a blueline but is a good complimentary piece.

Realistically there are only two true cornerstone pieces in this draft. Both will be gone at 4. You're left picking from 5 or 6 guys that you hope and pray will become all star calibre players, but likely wont get to that level.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

There is a reason why he was between 5-7 on almost every scout's list and Hanifin was #3 ALL YEAR!!

I agree with this. People are obsessed with skilled wingers even though size matters in this league. I'm not saying Marner won't be good, I'm saying he's not BPA. You always take BPA.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I agree with this. People are obsessed with skilled wingers even though size matters in this league. I'm not saying Marner won't be good, I'm saying he's not BPA. You always take BPA.

Size doesn't matter. Skill with your size does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad