Hanifin Or Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Honestly, either or. We need both pretty badly.

Still a chance Strome falls, too. I think the safe prediction is Arizona takes him, but would anyone be surprised to see them double dip from the Knights? Hanifin, too....Arizona has OEL who is better than anything we've got right now, but they also need defense.

I'm just praying that Hanifin falls to 6th. Then I throw "money" at New Jersey.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I also would find it morbidly amusing if we drafted Marner, and both he and Nylander ended up wingers at the NHL level.

CalgaryLeaf*

Marner is closing the gap in the poll...It's basically 51% Hanifin, 49% Marner after 24 hours of voting.

One thought has cheered me up a bit...Marner is the more skilled player between him and Strome most would agree...The size issue is the biggest contention.

Marner may end up at 6' when he stops growing in a year's time...In 3-4 years he should be near 190-200 pounds..He can also play center...Hunter will know if Marner has the talent to play first line center in the NHL. I'm confident that he'll make the right decision.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At this stage, I don't know what to wish for. Part of me wants Hanifin on the basis of what I've read which is all I know about any of these guys. But our cupboard is so bare in terms of forwards, maybe a bigger part of me wants Marner to get chosen by the Leafs. Let's hope the braintrust gets it right.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
At this stage, I don't know what to wish for. Part of me wants Hanifin on the basis of what I've read which is all I know about any of these guys. But our cupboard is so bare in terms of forwards, maybe a bigger part of me wants Marner to get chosen by the Leafs. Let's hope the braintrust gets it right.

They will. No executive knows Marner as well as Hunter.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
They will. No executive knows Marner as well as Hunter.
Which, in turn, reassures me if we pick Hanifin. It will likely mean that Hunter, too, thought he was the better prospect. (Sure, he could have been outvoted, but what are the chances of that happening?)

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Which, in turn, reassures me if we pick Hanifin. It will likely mean that Hunter, too, thought he was the better prospect. (Sure, he could have been outvoted, but what are the chances of that happening?)

Considering he's running the draft, infinitesimally small. Sleep easy.

Nylanders Flow

Jun 29, 2014
I have a feeling it will be Barzal. Fans will be shocked at first because everyone expects it to be either Marner, Strome or Hanifan.

Then fans will start doing more research on Barzal and realize this is a great pick. This reminds me of the Leafs taking Rielly and not many seeing it coming. Most expected Forsberg or even Grigorenko

I hope Barzal is still in consideration to be honest, I know Hunter has said he likes him. Had it rough this year with his injury and being on a pretty poor team, but his upside is RNH.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
I would trade down for Barzal but I would also be very happy with him and we'd pick up some assets.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
I would trade down for Barzal but I would also be very happy with him and we'd pick up some assets.

No need to trade down for Barzal. We still have Kessel/JVR/Phaneuf as tradeable assets. If we're doing a scorched earth, at least 2/3 of these guys are gone. There's your mid to late 1st.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, I know. I find it weird that a top prospect has no "highlight" youtube vid.

There's a Noah Hanifin shift by shift analysis video.

But unless the scouts are saying he can be a Pietrangelo or McDonagh, I don't really feel that excited about him.

CalgaryLeaf*

But unless the scouts are saying he can be a Pietrangelo or McDonagh, I don't really feel that excited about him.

What is the actual link?

The narrator should have chosen a game against a better opponent than Germany IMO.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

You mean they should be saying that he will be one of those two? McDonagh wasn't even ranked in the top 10 his draft year and Pietrangelo was the third defenseman taken. NH has been top 4 on most lists all season long, and the number 1 D prospect. I think its safe to assume he has that level of potential. Whether he can fulfill it is the same crap shoot as with any other prospect. This is from FC so take with a grain of salt but these are similar comments to what others have been saying all year. A #1 defenseman in all areas.

"The 2015 draft’s top defenseman…a smart and powerful two-way force… big, but very mobile... moves well with good speed and agility…uses his strength and reach very well when he rushes the puck, and he is tough to contain when he gets going…is skilled and confident with the puck and has the ability to take it end-to-end…used his size and body well to contain players and box them out on the walls…is smart and makes great defensive decisions…has an instinctive knack for knowing where his teammates are on the ice…supremely skilled quarterbacking the power play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad