Proposal: Greenway for your center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can't believe we're still talking about Boldy+Lambos for Hertl as if it has any merit whatsoever.

Guerin has made it clear we're relying on prospects like those stepping up and being cheap contributors in the lineup. I don't see anything that would indicate he'd be going after a rental like Hertl.

Reactions: bernmeister

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We don't know the for sure the "quality" of those prospects. It's mostly middle-ish 1sts whom you/we are projecting. Hertl would come in and be your best C.
I don't disagree that Herlt would be Minny's best C (not my team, but I am advocating for them in this thread so I get it). Both Boldy and Lambos are early first round pedigree with no reason to assume they will not be impactful professionals. This is the risk you take when trading players - we don't know for sure Hertl won't get injured after 1 game and then leave via free agency. Again, I could be forgetting a trade, but over the past 4 years I can't think of any deal where a player in their final season was traded for 2 top organizational prospects. Hertl is a very good player, but he isn't the type of player that re-sets the trade value league wide. If he was on a $6 deal for the next 4 seasons than sure that carries value, but a free agent looking for $8+ long term and able to be a free agent in a few months does not carry the value that a few Shark fans are looking for.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I don't disagree that Herlt would be Minny's best C (not my team, but I am advocating for them in this thread so I get it). Both Boldy and Lambos are early first round pedigree with no reason to assume they will not be impactful professionals. This is the risk you take when trading players - we don't know for sure Hertl won't get injured after 1 game and then leave via free agency. Again, I could be forgetting a trade, but over the past 4 years I can't think of any deal where a player in their final season was traded for 2 top organizational prospects. Hertl is a very good player, but he isn't the type of player that re-sets the trade value league wide. If he was on a $6 deal for the next 4 seasons than sure that carries value, but a free agent looking for $8+ long term and able to be a free agent in a few months does not carry the value that a few Shark fans are looking for.
Neither were picked that early in the draft
Boldy was at 12
Lambos at 26

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Neither were picked that early in the draft
Boldy was at 12
Lambos at 26
Both SJ posters that seem to have issue with my stance on this are ignoring my ask about comparable trades. Is there a reason you won't site comparables to help understand where you see Hertl being worth more than any other player traded over the past 4 seasons. I am seriously curious if there are examples, and if there is I would be willing to adjust my stance from "It hasn't happened" to "I wouldn't do it if I was Minny's GM" but right now the ask seems to be more than what all other players in similar contractual situations are being dealt for.

Reactions: 2Pair

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
We don't know the for sure the "quality" of those prospects. It's mostly middle-ish 1sts whom you/we are projecting. Hertl would come in and be your best C.
Hertl would be the best Center traded at the deadline that I can remember. There isn’t a modern comparable deal

Reactions: Groo

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Both SJ posters that seem to have issue with my stance on this are ignoring my ask about comparable trades. Is there a reason you won't site comparables to help understand where you see Hertl being worth more than any other player traded over the past 4 seasons. I am seriously curious if there are examples, and if there is I would be willing to adjust my stance from "It hasn't happened" to "I wouldn't do it if I was Minny's GM" but right now the ask seems to be more than what all other players in similar contractual situations are being dealt for.
Becuase I don’t have an exact comparable. My closest would be Mark Stone who pulled a first and an A prospect. Obviously that came with an extension and so would Hertl if he pulled that much value.

I have no problem with the take that Minnesota shouldn’t trade for Hertl. I have a problem with you telling me that he can’t return significantly more than Nick Folingo got last year

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Becuase I don’t have an exact comparable. My closest would be Mark Stone who pulled a first and an A prospect. Obviously that came with an extension and so would Hertl if he pulled that much value
Stone got a 2nd and a prospect. The pick was #61 and you are right, that came with an agreed upon contract extension.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Not interested in chasing down rabbit holes. No this is this year and there's not aa lot of Hertls who might be made available. I suspect( if this site is any harbinger that Hertl will garner a lot of interest.
A mid 1st and a late 1st is hardly out of the realm
A 1st and a prospect is the usual
base offer. Is it not?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Stone got a 2nd and a prospect. The pick was #61 and you are right, that came with an agreed upon contract extension.
Yes and the prospect was regarded as quite good in the league at the time, maybe even top ten. Boldy is pretty good, but not that level, and Hertl is a Center which always return more. I don’t think that the ask of a top prospect and conditional first is a bad ask at all. I haven’t asked for Lambos but I don’t see why his value would be higher than a mid to late first.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Who else was in the race for Stone?
Well who else is in the race for Herlt - those types of questions no one can answer, but I would assume the best defensive winger in the league that also produces points at a top line rate probably had some teams interested.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Well who else is in the race for Herlt - those types of questions no one can answer, but I would assume the best defensive winger in the league that also produces points at a top line rate probably had some teams interested.
Didn't Stone want to go to Vegas?
As far as who would want Hertl? The easier Q would have been who wouldn't.
If you go search Hertl on this site's (were all just fans here) You'll find a lot of interest.
Now to be fair, some are sating that the costs would be to high and waiting for him to hit the open market would be the preferred route.
This being HF everyone is looking to get their guy on the cheap

Reactions: themelkman

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not interested in chasing down rabbit holes. No this is this year and there's not aa lot of Hertls who might be made available. I suspect( if this site is any harbinger that Hertl will garner a lot of interest.
A mid 1st and a late 1st is hardly out of the realm
A 1st and a prospect is the usual
base offer. Is it not?
Just because a player was drafted at a specific spot, doesn't mean their value stays in that location. I can't see the Sharks trading away Leonard for a 6th round pick. Lambos went late in the first because he was injured in his draft year and only played 2 games in the WHL. He was ranked in the top 10 of his draft year by a lot of ranking agencies prior to his injury and I think it is fair to say Boldy has continued to improve since his draft year. If you are asking the Wild for their 1st and a prospect in the 3-5 range organizationally I think they accept, but 2 prospects that they have worked with and help develop (more Boldy than Lambos obviously) and see as replacements for their team moving forward is a big ask for a free agent to be.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Just because a player was drafted at a specific spot, doesn't mean their value stays in that location. I can't see the Sharks trading away Leonard for a 6th round pick. Lambos went late in the first because he was injured in his draft year and only played 2 games in the WHL. He was ranked in the top 10 of his draft year by a lot of ranking agencies prior to his injury and I think it is fair to say Boldy has continued to improve since his draft year. If you are asking the Wild for their 1st and a prospect in the 3-5 range organizationally I think they accept, but 2 prospects that they have worked with and help develop (more Boldy than Lambos obviously) and see as replacements for their team moving forward is a big ask for a free agent to be.
Leonard's already proven he's worth more than his draft position.
That's just a run of the mil offer.
Like Stone whom you seem fond of inserting the Wild are free to have a deal worked out. I did mention taking back a salary.
Hertl would be there top C. The Wild are a play-off team that long as had a hole at the most critical position.
A late 1st and whoever they feel like losing just isn't going to cut it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad