HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
...unless Primeau's NHL play takes a big step forward (as in he becomes that goalie he was in the AHL Playoffs full-time), I can't see them running him into the ground to get an asset for Allen...
Be carefull at bringing a goalie in the high level of NHL. There a a big step and a lot of pressure that comes with, especially in Montreal. I hope Primeau will be ready for nhl this year, that would be the best scenario. Then trade Allen at the deadline.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
...unless Primeau's NHL play takes a big step forward (as in he becomes that goalie he was in the AHL Playoffs full-time), I can't see them running him into the ground to get an asset for Allen...
He will be gone anyway and the difference from the deadline on will be less than 20 games.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am quite comfortable with Primeau going forward. Dobes and Dichow both look like they could be in the mix in the future as well.
Verdict on Primeau is still out. This is the make or break season.

Allen has become pretty injury prone. Habs need someone else added to the depth chart.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think Allen gone by trade deadline

If so, we'll either need another NHL goalie or throw one of our potential future starters in a very shitty situation.

A goalie is like 30% mental. Primeau will need to sink or swim in 2023-2024 (waiver eligible), so I don't think it's the time to crush his confidence behind an hilariously bad D right before that. Our D would be pretty decent in the KHL, but this is the NHL.

Of course if Guhle/Barron/Norlinder comes into camps (or February) like gigachads top4 D it might change things.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He will be gone anyway and the difference from the deadline on will be less than 20 games.

Allen is there to insulate Primeau. Running Monty/Primeau for 20 games could be terrible for Primeau especially if we sell a lot.

Verdict on Primeau is still out. This is the make or break season.

Allen has become pretty injury prone. Habs need someone else added to the depth chart.

Make or break for Primeau (at least with the Habs) is 2023-2024 since he will be waiver eligible.

The decision will be to run Primeau/Monty, run Vet G/Primeau and send Monty down that year, give up on Primeau and trade him or try to slip him through waivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
That's where Monty can jump in and be the Goalie that suffers the last 20games of the season, specially if we are tanking by that time it's perfect to give up 5-6 goals per game with Monty

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I have a feeling that penciling in Montembault as the back-up is a bit premature. The two year contract suggests a player you want to pass through waivers so make him less attractive to another team. Almost every team will be putting experienced goalies on waivers to start the year, if you grab one, you may be able to deal them at the TDL to a team looking for insurance for a 4th or 5th round pick. Asset management is what the new regime seem to be strong on. Montembault is an AHL quality goalie and would be a back-up to Primeau and a call-up if injuries hit with Poulin in TR as a replacement for him.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I have a feeling that penciling in Montembault as the back-up is a bit premature. The two year contract suggests a player you want to pass through waivers so make him less attractive to another team. Almost every team will be putting experienced goalies on waivers to start the year, if you grab one, you may be able to deal them at the TDL to a team looking for insurance for a 4th or 5th round pick. Asset management is what the new regime seem to be strong on. Montembault is an AHL quality goalie and would be a back-up to Primeau and a call-up if injuries hit with Poulin in TR as a replacement for him.
Not sure we will find someone better then Monty on the waivers, last year he was the only G claim at that time of the year.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I have more questions about obtaining a true #1 goalie than I do acquiring a true #1D.

I can see us getting our #1D via trade somehow....but as for goalies, there is not much out there that impresses me.

Maybe I am just spoiled from Price, but the only goalie I am currently interested in league wide would be Otteinger. Vasy and sheshterkin are out of the question. Other guys like Demko and Sorokin are probably untouchables too.

Besides current NHL goalies, I'd be interest in Askarov if he's even available. I just don't have much faith in Primeau personally. And I haven't really seen much from our other goalie prospects either

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I have more questions about obtaining a true #1 goalie than I do acquiring a true #1D.

I can see us getting our #1D via trade somehow....but as for goalies, there is not much out there that impresses me.

Maybe I am just spoiled from Price, but the only goalie I am currently interested in league wide would be Otteinger. Vasy and sheshterkin are out of the question. Other guys like Demko and Sorokin are probably untouchables too.

Besides current NHL goalies, I'd be interest in Askarov if he's even available. I just don't have much faith in Primeau personally. And I haven't really seen much from our other goalie prospects either
Teams don't move real #1 Dmen too. #1 Dmen are as much important then the #1 C in my book, look at every team that won the cup.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Not sure we will find someone better then Monty on the waivers, last year he was the only G claim at that time of the year.
I just can't see HuGo making the same mistake of not having a goalie in Laval to call-up as an injury replacement besides Primeau. Barring injuries in camp, some of the goalies available on waivers will be Hutchinson, Legace, Fucale, Pickard, Kinkaid, Tokarski, Domingue, Daccord, Hellberg, Copley, Dansk, Appleby, Ingram, johannssen, McIntyre, ,Berdin, Bibeau, Gillies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I just can't see HuGo making the same mistake of not having a goalie in Laval to call-up as an injury replacement besides Primeau. Barring injuries in camp, some of the goalies available on waivers will be Hutchinson, Legace, Fucale, Pickard, Kinkaid, Tokarski, Domingue, Daccord, Hellberg, Copley, Dansk, Appleby, Ingram, johannssen, McIntyre, ,Berdin, Bibeau, Gillies.
And those guys are not better then Monty

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don’t think Allen is an upgrade for 99% of the teams who might be in the market at the TDL.
Agreed................we wont get much for him.............every time he plays more than he should, the losses pile up.
Good for another tank so to speak I guess.

Why is Primeau not signed yet? Any rumblings about that?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Agreed................we wont get much for him.............every time he plays more than he should, the losses pile up.
Good for another tank so to speak I guess.

Why is Primeau not signed yet? Any rumblings about that?
Haven’t heard anything.

Reactions: BLONG7

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Habs get overpayment for Allen. Unless Monty and Primeau injured or bad season they trade Allen. Need shot at Bedard. If don't get him likely don't get close to Cup.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
I don’t think Allen is an upgrade for 99% of the teams who might be in the market at the TDL.
He would be an improvement on a few playoff bound teams. I trust we can be opportunistic, without wishing injuries on anyone....when that TDL is looming and there isn't much quality to go around, it's not too far fetched to expect a 2nd or better.

Peteux

Jul 15, 2010
He would be an improvement on a few playoff bound teams. I trust we can be opportunistic, without wishing injuries on anyone....when that TDL is looming and there isn't much quality to go around, it's not too far fetched to expect a 2nd or better.

I think every teams know what they can get from Allen, performance wise.

It really is the playoff bound team goalie's health situation that'll drive the price of him up or down.

I can't see a team trading for him to be their starting goalie for the playoff (obviously), so it'll be a team that needs a good #2... because their #1 is injury prone or shaky. I doubt there's a lot of suitors and the Habs get an interesting return for trading Allen.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I think every teams know what they can get from Allen, performance wise.

It really is the playoff bound team goalie's health situation that'll drive the price of him up or down.

I can't see a team trading for him to be their starting goalie for the playoff (obviously), so it'll be a team that needs a good #2... because their #1 is injury prone or shaky. I doubt there's a lot of suitors and the Habs get an interesting return for trading Allen.
Edmonton needs to be all over this. Not sure if they're a good trading partner but they absolutely need a good 1B to pair with Campbell. If not Allen someone else, but to me Allen would be their best option

Reactions: Peteux and Toene

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

I think Dobes could be a great goalie. Let's be patient with this guy.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad