HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think Dobes could be a great goalie. Let's be patient with this guy.
I actually think Dichow has better potential but I guess we'll have to wait and see if one of them can develop into something really good.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
The Canadian does not have a future #1 goalkeeper and the club must fill this need. There could be a trade or sign a free agent. Here are some candidates: 1) Luke Pavichich ( UFA NCAA) 6'3", 20 years old, 2.19+/9.35%. 2) Levi Deon,6'0"",20 years,drafted by Buffalo,2.27 +9.29% 3) Akina Schmid, 6'4", 22 years, drafted by New Jersey, 1.96, 9.32%4) Dustin Wolf, 6'0", AHL, 2.35, 9.24%, drafted by Calgary.

Or draft a great goalie prospect in 2023 1) Michel Hrabal,6'6" 2)Nickolai Nikutshin,5'11" 3)Scott Ratzlaff,6'1"

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
The Canadian does not have a future #1 goalkeeper and the club must fill this need. There could be a trade or sign a free agent. Here are some candidates: 1) Luke Pavichich ( UFA NCAA) 6'3", 20 years old, 2.19+/9.35%. 2) Levi Deon,6'0"",20 years,drafted by Buffalo,2.27 +9.29% 3) Akina Schmid, 6'4", 22 years, drafted by New Jersey, 1.96, 9.32%4) Dustin Wolf, 6'0", AHL, 2.35, 9.24%, drafted by Calgary.

Or draft a great goalie prospect in 2023 1) Michel Hrabal,6'6" 2)Nickolai Nikutshin,5'11" 3)Scott Ratzlaff,6'1"
Jakub Dobes looks pretty good along with Dichow and I wouldn’t give up on Primeau yet. Goalies are easier to get than any other position. I don’t think most teams have “future number one goalies”. A lot of times they just happen lol

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Goalies are too hard for me to judge. For example, I didn't thing Price would be as good as he was. I thought Theodore would maintain his 2002 play

Reactions: DailyKaizen

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Jakub Dobes looks pretty good along with Dichow and I wouldn’t give up on Primeau yet. Goalies are easier to get than any other position. I don’t think most teams have “future number one goalies”. A lot of times they just happen lol
I have to disagree. I was raising this issue like 2 years ago. Montreal put all their eggs in 1 basket with Primeau. Sure, he had great numbers in college, but he was a 7th rounder. It doesn't mean he wouldn't work out, but they refused to draft any "blue chip" or "safer" goalies after him. They were all late rounders. Now, management realizes Primeau probably isn't the future (I don't believe he's an nhl goalie at least not a starter). Now, they have to part with assets (probably good ones) to deal for someone when they could've drafted him.
I also disagree that most teams don't have future number 1 goalies. It's true that they take time to develop, but I've seen a lot of these guys play against Laval, and I tend to believe most teams' goalie prospects are much better than ours. Ok, maybe not all future starters, but definitely a lot of good ones out there. Quite a few nhl teams have 2 solid goalies to go along with solid goalie prospects in the wings. There's a lot of fantastic young goalies out there.
Yes, you can make trades and sign free agents, but you can't ignore your own system like Montreal has. Dobes, Dichow can look good on paper, but I don't think there's anyone calling these guys can't miss prospects.

DailyKaizen

Goalies are too hard for me to judge. For example, I didn't thing Price would be as good as he was. I thought Theodore would maintain his 2002 play
Same. Remember picking up Michael Leighton on waivers, never playing a game for us and a few years later against us only allowing seven goals in five games, posting three shutouts to bring the seventh-seeded Flyers advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals. I guess we were good at making him look good because he was mediocre in the final series versus Chicago.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
There's a rumor that the Habs are interested in Devon Levi. If so, yes, yes and yes again. This guy is such a gamer. I'm all in for that one, if it's possible make it happen!

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
There's a rumor that the Habs are interested in Devon Levi. If so, yes, yes and yes again. This guy is such a gamer. I'm all in for that one, if it's possible make it happen!
6'0 is a little scary these days for a goalie. What's the average height these days? Gotta be 6'3. It doesn't mean he wouldn't be good, but you just don't see guys 6'0 or under in the NHL anymore.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Sabres aren't moving Levi guys, sorry. He is the most important part of the next phase of the Sabres rebuild. Kevyn Adams is with him regularly and he attends practices and games whenever Buffalo is in town.

Unless you are vastly overpaying (and I mean hugely so) Adams isn't going to move him.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Sabres aren't moving Levi guys, sorry. He is the most important part of the next phase of the Sabres rebuild. Kevyn Adams is with him regularly and he attends practices and games whenever Buffalo is in town.

Unless you are vastly overpaying (and I mean hugely so) Adams isn't going to move him.
That's what I thought. You never know, but I thought it was surprising too, hence my excitement.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
That's what I thought. You never know, but I thought it was surprising too, hence my excitement.
Maybe Levi has indicated he doesn't want to sign with the Sabres and we don't know that yet. But all of his interviews say the complete opposite (implying how much he's looking forward to coming, etc.) we were planning on having him in the lineup late this year to burn a year off the ELC.

But beyond that I really don't see it happening. But I'm also not the GM, I'm a guy posting on HFBoards.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe Levi has indicated he doesn't want to sign with the Sabres and we don't know that yet. But all of his interviews say the complete opposite (implying how much he's looking forward to coming, etc.) we were planning on having him in the lineup late this year to burn a year off the ELC.

But beyond that I really don't see it happening. But I'm also not the GM, I'm a guy posting on HFBoards.

Not saying anything I don't agree with. I think your read is 100% right.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Same. Remember picking up Michael Leighton on waivers, never playing a game for us and a few years later against us only allowing seven goals in five games, posting three shutouts to bring the seventh-seeded Flyers advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals. I guess we were good at making him look good because he was mediocre in the final series versus Chicago.
I think best is sign a solid/good proven goalie as UFA. Build a great defense in front of him. Gives team a great goalie

DailyKaizen

I think best is sign a solid/good proven goalie as UFA. Build a great defense in front of him. Gives team a great goalie
That may be the most advantageous course of action. My own sense is that goalies perform in correlation to D in front of him, in that they are efficiently buying in to the system of the head coach, and that the said system is actually the most advantageous given the players on the team.

Lots of people focus on scoring goals, snipers, or towering D, or Wall goalies, but really it is all about systems.

Goal(ie)s win you games, systems win you championships.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That may be the most advantageous course of action. My own sense is that goalies perform in correlation to D in front of him, in that they are efficiently buying in to the system of the head coach, and that the said system is actually the most advantageous given the players on the team.

Lots of people focus on scoring goals, snipers, or towering D, or Wall goalies, but really it is all about systems.

You never know who is going to be good when, though. Lindgren has great stats this year. Goalies are voodoo.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You never know who is going to be good when, though. Lindgren has great stats this year. Goalies are voodoo.

Mediocre goaltending is voodoo.. just like mediocre bullpen arms are voodoo. High end guys have some variance but they are always giving you great seasons.

It's just voodoo right now because Canada has lagged so far behind goaltending development that we aren't producing goalies capable of being successful in the modern NHL.. and the other nations who are doing better at goalie development, don't have the same volume of goalies in their country.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Don't have to spend draft picks that way and then develop goalies. The average one takes forever. Sign a UFA like a Samasnov instead. Guy around 27-28 years old.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh yeah, he's been progressing well, it's a no brainer. He's not there yet but he's on a nice progression curve.

And he can stay over in SHL for one more year, so that shouldn't cause any issues.

Dobes is the curious one, I think they want to sign him and put him in the AHL with a veteran goalie. Primeau is waiver eligible, so they'll need to move Allen in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad