HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have my doubts about Primeau for next season. Hughes had said he wants to pursue another young goaltender. Yes, that could mean to replace Primeau in Laval, but I'm not sure they have confidence in him. He's missed time this year, and still hasn't shown he's nhl caliber. I'd be incredibly surprised to see him in the NHL next year (or ever, for that matter).

I have my doubts too, but from what I've seen of this management group.. I don't think they are eager to set up conditions where they lose young players for nothing, without knowing for sure what they are giving up.

Reactions: schwang26

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Generally not.. but as a goalie myself, we are really in a talent deficit at the position.

A lot of guys getting paid and starting for teams across the league, in varying degrees of competition, would be back-ups AT BEST.

Until that landscape changes back, we should be ensuring we select somebody at the top of the talent pool. Last years draft literally had 0 quality goalie prospects.

This year there's Hrabal and Bjarnason at the top. We need to get one of them.

If we can't make that work, they need to invest on Fowler or Clara. It won't give us an heir apparent but it will give us a solid goalie prospect who could enter that higher tier.

All this to say that it doesn't matter how competent a management team might or might not be right now, the position is in trouble because Hockey Canada has f***ed up goalie development.
I've been saying that they should've pursued a top goalie in the draft for quite a while now. Fucale sucked and Primeau is barely ahl level. They put all their eggs in the Price basket. Management never seemed to feel it was a priority though. Hopefully Dobes works out, but with luck, they can use one of the extra 1sts on a goalie (if they're ranked high enough). They might get very lucky with Monty though. I'm pulling for him.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
It's pretty obvious the plan should be to trade for a young developing goalie from elsewhere (like Georgiev and Vanecek last year). These goalies usually don't cost very much, and we have plenty of assets (picks/prospects) to trade anyway so no big deal.

You could even deal Allen for a 2nd and use that pick to acquire a younger goalie. I do admit I would be curious to see a Monty/Prims tandem for a full year though.

The question is which goalie are we gonna acquire? There aren't that many. It's all up to scouting. For exemple, if your scout is in love with Soderblom from Chicago (just an exemple) and he goes on waivers or is available for a 4th rounder, then you make the deal and trust your scout.

Goalies are voodoo, as they say
I hear Buffalo has Swede playing for Michigan and he's said that he isn't signing with them. He has great numbers .

Reactions: Number 57

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hear Buffalo has Swede playing for Michigan and he's said that he isn't signing with them. He has great numbers .

Not really worth the pursuit.. Dobes is just as good as any NCAA goalie. I mean if the guy is free to sign and we get him, great.. but I'm not paying the asset cost when we could draft someone else and hope the grow more than he has.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Erik Portillo. Definitely has great stats. It does also help when you're backstopping one of the best teams in the NCAA.

Primeau, who is someone you're not sold on, had great numbers in his two years in college, as well. He even won Goalie of the Year his second season. So if anyone shouldn't put too much stock on NCAA goalie stats, it's someone who isn't high on Primeau.

Devon Levi is also putting up great stats in college (another Sabres goalie prospect). And so is Dobes.

I wouldn't mind getting one of Levi or Portillo to add to the goalie depth.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Erik Portillo. Definitely has great stats. It does also help when you're backstopping one of the best teams in the NCAA.

Primeau, who is someone you're not sold on, had great numbers in his two years in college, as well. He even won Goalie of the Year his second season. So if anyone shouldn't put too much stock on NCAA goalie stats, it's someone who isn't high on Primeau.

Devon Levi is also putting up great stats in college (another Sabres goalie prospect). And so is Dobes.

I wouldn't mind getting one of Levi or Portillo to add to the goalie depth.
Primeau did have great stats however, for whatever reason, fell to the 7th round. Not exactly a blue chipper. I know the debate rages on about goalies and where theyre drafted, but im sure most starters are drafted higher. Probably4th round and up.. Sure, theres exceptions.
As for Levi, no thanks. He's undersized for a goalie these days.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I have my doubts too, but from what I've seen of this management group.. I don't think they are eager to set up conditions where they lose young players for nothing, without knowing for sure what they are giving up.
Any specific examples that give you that impression? Because they put Pitlick on waivers and risked losing him for nothing when they could have easily setup conditions to not take that risk.

One of Bergevin's big problems as GM was holding onto young guys too long even when it was clear that they didn't have a place moving forward. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I'm hopeful we won't repeat those mistakes.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Dichow but he's backing up.. and Kapanen? not sure if they got eliminated.
Of all the Habs goalies drafted in recent years none have really shown they have what it takes to become an NHL goalie it seems. Vrbetic, Dobes, Duchow, Primeau. No one has shown much. Maybe it's too early to tell with some. Too early with Crotteau

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Of all the Habs goalies drafted in recent years none have really shown they have what it takes to become an NHL goalie it seems. Vrbetic, Dobes, Duchow, Primeau. No one has shown much. Maybe it's too early to tell with some.

Primeau could maybe back-up but he's definitely not a starter.
Vrbetic was interesting but yeah, he's not really looking like anything.

Dichow and Dobes have the best shot, they still have things to work on and we have a lot of time on both.

We just need to invest in the position in this draft. Luckily there are many good goalies in this draft with size, athleticism and wherewithal.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Dichow and Dobes have the best shot, they still have things to work on and we have a lot of time on both.

We just need to invest in the position in this draft. Luckily there are many good goalies in this draft with size, athleticism and wherewithal.
During the WJC one goalie that stood out for me was the Slovak, Gajan. He might be worth a look.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
During the WJC one goalie that stood out for me was the Slovak, Gajan. He might be worth a look.

Overager, certainly could be a look with Clara as a double-dip in the middle rounds..

Fowler has taken the #1 goalie in this draft for me, closely followed by Bjarnason and Hrabal. We need one of those, but would not hate leaving the draft with another goalie as well.

If the Habs scouts believe the short sample of the WJC for Gajan wasn't a fluke, I can buy it.. sadly he was only on USHL loan so the NAHL starts aren't easy to watch nor are the numbers statistically significant.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Of all the Habs goalies drafted in recent years none have really shown they have what it takes to become an NHL goalie it seems. Vrbetic, Dobes, Duchow, Primeau. No one has shown much. Maybe it's too early to tell with some. Too early with Crotteau
Personally I like Dobes moving forwards but thats only to see if he can continue his pace and become the guy. Id suspect a trade happens sooner rather than later (after next season or 2).

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Primeau is less than two years older than both Dichow and Dobes. Goalies nowadays often don't hit their stride until they're over 25 years old.

I like Dobes but Primeau had "been there, done that" when he was a couple of years younger than Dobes.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Primeau is less than two years older than both Dichow and Dobes. Goalies nowadays often don't hit their stride until they're over 25 years old.

I like Dobes but Primeau had "been there, done that" when he was a couple of years younger than Dobes.

Statistically, yes.. but in terms of athleticism and goaltender specific movements? No.

Dobes' higher athletic potential and explosiveness in the net gives him a better chance of becoming a starter than Primeau.

Primeau was a great find in the 7th round but I've never been super high on his potential as a legitimate starter due to the fact he's not the best athlete out there and there's been some hitches in his movement that have existed since his draft and are still mechanically inefficient now.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You don't like what Dobes has shown you so far?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You don't like what Dobes has shown you so far?
His stats are excellent, so were Primeau's. Stats don't often times really reflect the prospect, maybe the team plays tight D. We shall see. I still think investing in the 2nd or 3rd round in a goalie might be needed.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His stats are excellent, so were Primeau's. Stats don't often times really reflect the prospect, maybe the team plays tight D. We shall see. I still think investing in the 2nd or 3rd round in a goalie might be needed.

i have a shit ton of Dobes games on my channel, the defense in front of him was pretty bad at times. I even have a decent amount of his USHL games, was thinking about making a comp of all his vids but that would take me hours that I just don't have.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
i have a shit ton of Dobes games on my channel, the defense in front of him was pretty bad at times. I even have a decent amount of his USHL games, was thinking about making a comp of all his vids but that would take me hours that I just don't have.
So you think he’s better than his stats?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So you think he’s better than his stats?

yes, I'd say he's one of the best goalies in the NCAA this year, I had Levi as the best but Dobes played in what was the toughest conference this year and held his own at times (still haven't watched his final game of the season though, heard it wasn't good)

Reactions: nicehiss

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Would love to see this.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
So....what's the plan?

None of us should be overly concerned with playing Allen and Monty for 23/24. They have exceeded expectations this year. If we keep both then Primeau could likely be claimed off waivers and become another team's Monty moving forward.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Im sensing Allen may just get 1 more start to end the year. Habs are in evaluation mode with Primeau and Monty.

Allen didn't practice today, he might actually be injured again even if it wasn't confirmed. The habs are taking the opportunity to play Primeau instead. Also, the Rocket is off until Friday, so good time to make calls-up.

Reactions: donghabs98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad