HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

Im sensing Allen may just get 1 more start to end the year. Habs are in evaluation mode with Primeau and Monty.

Anyone surprised here? Primeau getting some NHL exposure to raise his value... if he have any trade value.

From Trois-Rivières, I woudn't count Vrbetic out yet. The guy has size and looked better as the season progressed. He's not out of place and could be a nice surprise in the future.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Anyone surprised here? Primeau getting some NHL exposure to raise his value... if he have any trade value.

From Trois-Rivières, I woudn't count Vrbetic out yet. The guy has size and looked better as the season progressed. He's not out of place and could be a nice surprise in the future.
So many teams without NHL calibre goaltenders there should be a market for some of them.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
maybe they look at doing this,

Habs - Monty
Primeau

Laval - Dobes
Allen

3R - Vrbetic
Poulin

If Allen has no trade value even if we were to eat 50% of the cap hit, then he would be a great mentor for Dobes and would give us solid depth if Monty is the real deal and Primeau shows he can hold his own as a so so back up or hopefully better.

Poulin may not want to go back to 3R and if they can trade Allen then you could just look at Poulin to backup Dobes.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
maybe they look at doing this,

Habs - Monty
Primeau

Laval - Dobes
Allen

3R - Vrbetic
Poulin

If Allen has no trade value even if we were to eat 50% of the cap hit, then he would be a great mentor for Dobes and would give us solid depth if Monty is the real deal and Primeau shows he can hold his own as a so so back up or hopefully better.

Poulin may not want to go back to 3R and if they can trade Allen then you could just look at Poulin to backup Dobes.

I don't think it will be an issue to be able to trade Allen. There's a lot of bad goaltending on good teams.

I'd do what you are suggesting here and then bring Dichow in once his SHL season is done.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Problem is he's still unproven and not waiver exempt anymore. That's a risk for any team who would trade for him.
Yes, Allen isn't #1 and it's too early for any of the prospects to be worth much. Currently only Montemabualt would be of interest. He is better than anything Toronto, Ottawa or Detroit have.

Reactions: rickthegoon

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think it will be an issue to be able to trade Allen. There's a lot of bad goaltending on good teams.

I'd do what you are suggesting here and then bring Dichow in once his SHL season is done.

my thought was more the money owed to him might deter teams since after this season he's owed 7.7M over 2 years, I don't know if it will be the same as last off-season where a bunch of teams had barely any cap space or not. I hope they can trade him though.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
my thought was more the money owed to him might deter teams since after this season he's owed 7.7M over 2 years, I don't know if it will be the same as last off-season where a bunch of teams had barely any cap space or not. I hope they can trade him though.
They just gave Allen big extension. Can't see Montreal trading him

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Might be a situation where you take back another goalie and just waive him. Maybe not Jack Campbell cause the term is so bad but maybe Petersen in LA, for example

Reactions: montreal

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
For those of us limited to knowing that Roy was great & “Red Light” Racicot wasn’t….what can you tell us about our depth & do we have a “keeper” lol. I’ve read Fowler & Dobes look good.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
For those of us limited to knowing that Roy was great & “Red Light” Racicot wasn’t….what can you tell us about our depth & do we have a “keeper” lol. I’ve read Fowler & Dobes look good.

I'm not a believe in Montembeault as anything more than a transition goalie or someone who could maybe be a 1B to someone else to get you through in case of injury or just a rust situation (think kind of like Alex Lyons, Matt Murray in those runs).

I was a bit surprised by Dichow not being signed but I think they didn't love his concentration and that those bad goals were continuing. He was often beat by goals that were just a lapse in concentration or just not reading the play/shot at a high enough level.

I really don't have much to give you on Miller or Volokhin, I did just check some footage on Volokhin and linked an article. He's athletic, Russia is a goalie factory, and there's certainly something to work with there.

I do think that we have our answer in Fowler, but that comes with a caveat, goalies of his size have to prove it at every level. Devon Levi was someone I was cautious on because he was smaller and you don't know what the skating looks like as the pace goes up and shooters are better. If Fowler's skating continues to play at his size, then the demeanor, the puck tracking, the athleticism, and his positioning all scream at minimum, a John Gibson level goalie (before injuries played a part).

Dobes is also someone I have a lot of time for, it just comes down to whether he can control his aggressiveness in the net as better shooters with more patience and deception will pick that apart. He needs to be aggressive when its the right time and not always be aggressive. But his puck tracking, his size and his battle at that size are all promising. He was on a terrible team and he does look to me to be a goalie who does better with more action/shots. Most of his bad nights were when he faced fewer shots so that concentration piece will need to grow.

In summation, I think the solution is there but its TBD

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
We have no one anywhere near Price's level, let alone Roy's level.
Monty "could" become an average #1 but he still has a long way before getting there, let alone becoming a #1 G at all.
No idea about our prospects but, as of now, I don't see anyone who has the potential of becoming elite.
Fowler and Dobes (as mentioned above) are our best bet as of now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
it's just way too soon to say as you have Primeau and then a bunch of mystery boxes. Fowler is impressing me a lot in the couple games i have just watched. Dobes is likely the most interesting goalie prospect I can recall following since Price maybe. Primeau was better in the NCAA so we'll see what happens in the AHL but I had thought Primeau would be way better then he's shown in the NHL so far. I hate how they handled him and it's the opposite of what I would have wanted to see them do but that was nothing new.

I'm still very interested to see what Primeau can do but Dobes is just fun to watch especially when he gets pissed if you bump him though in the NHL playoffs he better learn to be smart (he seems way better in this, has really toned it down from his USHL days).

But Fowler taking that team to the cup and winning that says something, then add he'll be working with one of the top goalie coaches in the NCAA. I do worry about the height but he's young and we could see a case where he could spend a few years in the NCAA and then in the AHL as I think the Habs do have a long road ahead of them so the timing could be very interesting depending of course how his development goes.

I don't know Miller at all and I don't know if I will get to see him much if at all as I don't think I am going to spend so much money on streaming sites next season and just focus on NCAA and Laval though we have a ton of Euros this year and they can be really tough to get high quality streams. If Reinbacher is back in the NL though it looks like I should be able to get every game I think, never used the service before so have to see if possible from the US or is it geoblocked, but we'll see.

The Russian kid oddly enough I should be able to get some streams if he's back in the MHL or VHL since you can get them on youtube in HD often.

One prospect though that I could see getting overlooked is Croteau. I only saw a little so far but I will have access to most of his games most likely so I will be interested to see what he can do as I like what i've seen so far but it's been just the 1 game and I thought he was good at the development camp the little I saw of him.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Hot Take: I believe Dobes/Fowler will be a 1A/1B tandem for Habs. I think Fowler becomes the better product but Dobes and him split time similar to Ullmark and Swayman (maybe not as Vezina-esque as they were)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Too many people are writing off Primeau and underestimating Montembeault imo. Twenty five seems to be the magic number for goalies to make the jump from prospect to NHLer and Primeau turns 24 next month. He has shown flashes of brilliance but has been inconsistent which is the common narrative with regards to developing goaltenders.

Montembault made the jump at age 25 and took a big step forward at 26, so people acting like he is a late bloomer with little upside just aren't paying attention. If he even takes another small step forward he will easily be a legitimate starting goaltender. People need to realize that the reason for goalies developing later is not a technical issue it is almost entirely a confidence issue and it is no surprise that maturity plays a large role in this as maturity is often shaped by adversity and the resilience that often needs to be learned to overcome it.

If Hughes can dump Allen anywhere then he should do it. Hand the reins to Montembault and Primeau and hope that one or both of them thrive. Play the snot out of Dobes in Laval and let Fowler/Miller/Volokhin/Croteau develop at their own pace.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Too many people are writing off Primeau and underestimating Montembeault imo. Twenty five seems to be the magic number for goalies to make the jump from prospect to NHLer and Primeau turns 24 next month. He has shown flashes of brilliance but has been inconsistent which is the common narrative with regards to developing goaltenders.

Montembault made the jump at age 25 and took a big step forward at 26, so people acting like he is a late bloomer with little upside just aren't paying attention. If he even takes another small step forward he will easily be a legitimate starting goaltender. People need to realize that the reason for goalies developing later is not a technical issue it is almost entirely a confidence issue and it is no surprise that maturity plays a large role in this as maturity is often shaped by adversity and the resilience that often needs to be learned to overcome it.

If Hughes can dump Allen anywhere then he should do it. Hand the reins to Montembault and Primeau and hope that one or both of them thrive. Play the snot out of Dobes in Laval and let Fowler/Miller/Volokhin/Croteau develop at their own pace.
Hughes can easily dump Allen - in Laval.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I would put the odds of that somewhere between 0% and 0.00001%. If he was even considering that he would explore a bogus IR stint to buy time instead of humiliating Jake Allen.

Yes pretty much. Hughes comes off like he wants to treat his veterans well. Probably good for the long term health of the organization.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't know what will happen with Primeau but I'm excited to see what this group of goalie prospects can do as I really like Dobes and cant' wait to see him in Laval and Fowler at BC as I assume Fowler is our best hope at finding a legit starter one day.

Then you have Volokhin who just based off his sick numbers and how Russians have been producing the best NHL goalies of late it seems, you can add him to the mix as very interesting.

But I am also very interested to see Croteau as I think he could be flying under the radar but I have barely seen him so I look forward to next month to see how it goes for him.

I haven't seen Miller yet and don't know how much of the Q I will get to see as it's going to be a busy year for my yt between Hutson, Fowler, Laval, Reinbacher. Not sure I will have much time for the CHL outside of some Xhekaj/Beck games most likely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad