HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I can't tell you who will be the one out of the bunch, but I like Fowler, Volokhin, Dobes and Miller.

Fowler has the winning pedigree. High hockey IQ. Positioning and rebound control. Battles as well.

Volokhin has that Russian athleticism with his frame and understanding of modern goalie systems.

Dobes is the freak athlete who is explosive and can make the big saves. Just needs to get the finer details, concentration and consistency.

Miller really impressed with his positioning and ability to read the play.

Hopefully 1-2 of them pan out!

From my viewings of Miller so far this season, I’d say his biggest weakness is that he tends to fall to his knees too fast. Nothing that can’t be improved as he develops and plays more and more games.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
After scratching our heads that Habs took 3 goalies this past draft, we can't say they picked bad ones. So far, they're all 3 doing real good in their respective leagues.
As far as goalies that translate well.....CLEARLY Fowler has to be considered a top prospect. I like Miller too. AS far as Volokhin...I don't see it all. Despite the good stats. But yes, it's preferable to see great stats than not.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As far as goalies that translate well.....CLEARLY Fowler has to be considered a top prospect. I like Miller too. AS far as Volokhin...I don't see it all. Despite the good stats. But yes, it's preferable to see great stats than not.

There's a lot to see in Volokhin.

The best part? He's in the best place in the world right now for developing goalies.

But he's instinctive on breakaways, his lateral pushes and quick feet/legs are impressive and he's shown a high level of ability with his hands.

He has to work on processing when he gets moved side to side, he explodes over but he will get caught if the shot is up not being fully ready and attuned after the movement but that's stuff that can come with time.

This is by no means me saying he's gonna be a NHL goalie, just that it's pretty clear why they took him and he has a lot to work with.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There's a lot to see in Volokhin.

The best part? He's in the best place in the world right now for developing goalies.

But he's instinctive on breakaways, his lateral pushes and quick feet/legs are impressive and he's shown a high level of ability with his hands.

He has to work on processing when he gets moved side to side, he explodes over but he will get caught if the shot is up not being fully ready and attuned after the movement but that's stuff that can come with time.

This is by no means me saying he's gonna be a NHL goalie, just that it's pretty clear why they took him and he has a lot to work with.
Oh don't worry. I see the strengths and potential. I just prefer my goalies to be square and exempt from huge movements in front of their net. I will always prefer a Fowler type of goalie over a Dobes.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh don't worry. I see the strengths and potential. I just prefer my goalies to be square and exempt from huge movements in front of their net. I will always prefer a Fowler type of goalie over a Dobes.

That's fine, the way you phrased it, it sounded like you didn't know why they even picked him.

Kinda like Loic Lacasse. That's a goalie you don't know why anyone would pick. Volokhin there's traits and if he can get refined and dialed in, he could really hit.. or he could be a KHL lifer.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yeah the Habs appear to have drafted some decent goalie prospects with good upside.

Jul 6, 2016
Edmonton would certainly prefer Monty than Allen. But if Hughes wants to retain 50% of Allen's salary OR take Campbell , it could facilitate the deal.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Edmonton would certainly prefer Monty than Allen. But if Hughes wants to retain 50% of Allen's salary OR take Campbell , it could facilitate the deal.
Really don’t want them to trade Monty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad