HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
And he can stay over in SHL for one more year, so that shouldn't cause any issues.

Dobes is the curious one, I think they want to sign him and put him in the AHL with a veteran goalie. Primeau is waiver eligible, so they'll need to move Allen in the off-season.
Maybe, he'll be 22 this summer if I'm not mistaken, it might be time to move him up the ladder. They can have him start in the ECHL too, like Detroit did with Cossa, goalies are really on their own timeline, there's no rush, it can be a 4/5 years project.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And he can stay over in SHL for one more year, so that shouldn't cause any issues.

Dobes is the curious one, I think they want to sign him and put him in the AHL with a veteran goalie. Primeau is waiver eligible, so they'll need to move Allen in the off-season.
I don't think the club was planning to move Allen solely due to Primeau's waiver status. Otherwise, they would not have extended Allen.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
When they extended Allen, Montembeault was hot garbage and just a back-up placeholder. I would suspect they want to move forward with Montembeault/Primeau tandem next year.

Or Allen / Primeau?? Monty might get us that 1st this year with so many teams looking for a decent G and so little cap space...

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Or Allen / Primeau?? Monty might get us that 1st this year with so many teams looking for a decent G and so little cap space...

I think they'll run the two youth and see if either can take the spot and go. Don't see them giving up a young potential starter (not that I think either will be) to keep Allen around.

Reactions: WinterLion

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think they'll run the two youth and see if either can take the spot and go. Don't see them giving up a young potential starter (not that I think either will be) to keep Allen around.

I don't think Montembeault should be considered a potential starter. People should have learned from the Tokarski/Condon era.

I'd say it's at least 10X more likely Montembeault is out of the league by 30 than being a starter goalie.

On the other hand, I've warmed up to trading Primeau if a team buys into him being a starter prospect. I would basically trade whoever get the best trade between him or Monty.

Next year, run:
Allen/Montembeault or Primeau
Dobes/UDFA or Dichow (I think Dichow signs but stays in Sweden 1 year)
Desrosiers/Vrbetic (still on a AHL contract if he wants. If not UDFA/FA)

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think Montembeault should be considered a potential starter. People should have learned from the Tokarski/Condon era.

I'd say it's at least 10X more likely Montembeault is out of the league by 30 than being a starter goalie.

On the other hand, I've warmed up to trading Primeau if a team buys into him being a starter prospect. I would basically trade whoever get the best trade between him or Monty.

Next year, run:
Allen/Montembeault or Primeau
Dobes/UDFA or Dichow (I think Dichow signs but stays in Sweden 1 year)
Desrosiers/Vrbetic (still on a AHL contract if he wants. If not UDFA/FA)

I don't think Monty is either. But I also think when you're the org and you are dealing with people, Monty has played well enough this year to keep him over Allen and see what happens between him and Primeau.

We just aren't at a place where we should turn our backs prematurely on any young goalie.

Reactions: jaffy27

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It's pretty obvious the plan should be to trade for a young developing goalie from elsewhere (like Georgiev and Vanecek last year). These goalies usually don't cost very much, and we have plenty of assets (picks/prospects) to trade anyway so no big deal.

You could even deal Allen for a 2nd and use that pick to acquire a younger goalie. I do admit I would be curious to see a Monty/Prims tandem for a full year though.

The question is which goalie are we gonna acquire? There aren't that many. It's all up to scouting. For exemple, if your scout is in love with Soderblom from Chicago (just an exemple) and he goes on waivers or is available for a 4th rounder, then you make the deal and trust your scout.

Goalies are voodoo, as they say

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's pretty obvious the plan should be to trade for a young developing goalie from elsewhere (like Georgiev and Vanecek last year). These goalies usually don't cost very much, and we have plenty of assets (picks/prospects) to trade anyway so no big deal.

You could even deal Allen for a 2nd and use that pick to acquire a younger goalie. I do admit I would be curious to see a Monty/Prims tandem for a full year though.

The question is which goalie are we gonna acquire? There aren't that many. It's all up to scouting. For exemple, if your scout is in love with Soderblom from Chicago (just an exemple) and he goes on waivers or is available for a 4th rounder, then you make the deal and trust your scout.

Have to figure, that the HuGo tandem have something like this in the works....could one of the kids we already drafted come in and take the job?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The best thing to do is wait until we’re competing imo. Just keep adding to pool threw the draft. I’ve been really big up on Dobes for awhile now. But as you said goalies are voodoo. I know people will point to Edmonton and Toronto as reasons why not to wait last minute on goaltending. But if you have competent management that knows what they’re looking for in goaltenders, messes like that don’t happen.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The best thing to do is wait until we’re competing imo. Just keep adding to pool threw the draft. I’ve been really big up on Dobes for awhile now. But as you said goalies are voodoo. I know people will point to Edmonton and Toronto as reasons why not to wait last minute on goaltending. But if you have competent management that knows what they’re looking for in goaltenders, messes like that don’t happen.

Generally not.. but as a goalie myself, we are really in a talent deficit at the position.

A lot of guys getting paid and starting for teams across the league, in varying degrees of competition, would be back-ups AT BEST.

Until that landscape changes back, we should be ensuring we select somebody at the top of the talent pool. Last years draft literally had 0 quality goalie prospects.

This year there's Hrabal and Bjarnason at the top. We need to get one of them.

If we can't make that work, they need to invest on Fowler or Clara. It won't give us an heir apparent but it will give us a solid goalie prospect who could enter that higher tier.

All this to say that it doesn't matter how competent a management team might or might not be right now, the position is in trouble because Hockey Canada has f***ed up goalie development.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Generally not.. but as a goalie myself, we are really in a talent deficit at the position.

A lot of guys getting paid and starting for teams across the league, in varying degrees of competition, would be back-ups AT BEST.

Until that landscape changes back, we should be ensuring we select somebody at the top of the talent pool. Last years draft literally had 0 quality goalie prospects.

This year there's Hrabal and Bjarnason at the top. We need to get one of them.

If we can't make that work, they need to invest on Fowler or Clara. It won't give us an heir apparent but it will give us a solid goalie prospect who could enter that higher tier.

All this to say that it doesn't matter how competent a management team might or might not be right now, the position is in trouble because Hockey Canada has f***ed up goalie development.
I feel great shame as I’ve been heavily invested in training young Canadian kids at the position the last 10-15 years. Lol

Reactions: WeThreeKings

expy

Nov 2, 2010
We have time to find a starter. Both our current goaltenders won't be around when we're ready to compete.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
When they extended Allen, Montembeault was hot garbage and just a back-up placeholder. I would suspect they want to move forward with Montembeault/Primeau tandem next year.
I have my doubts about Primeau for next season. Hughes had said he wants to pursue another young goaltender. Yes, that could mean to replace Primeau in Laval, but I'm not sure they have confidence in him. He's missed time this year, and still hasn't shown he's nhl caliber. I'd be incredibly surprised to see him in the NHL next year (or ever, for that matter).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad