HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Price was good enough that it was hard to build around him. He dragged mediocre teams out of good draft picks. More than one GM messed up the timing, trading picks while they should have been accumulating before he hit his stride, and then failing to get the one or two guys they needed once he was ready. Some bad luck, too, if 2012 had been even an average draft it would have been enough to push a few cup runs.

Price had some good D in front of him when he started but he propped up some really weak pairings for a long time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price was good enough that it was hard to build around him. He dragged mediocre teams out of good draft picks. More than one GM messed up the timing, trading picks while they should have been accumulating before he hit his stride, and then failing to get the one or two guys they needed once he was ready. Some bad luck, too, if 2012 had been even an average draft it would have been enough to push a few cup runs.

Price had some good D in front of him when he started but he propped up some really weak pairings for a long time.
We had terrible coaching and terrible development. Even if you don’t think Chuck wasn’t the guy we simply could’ve traded him for the centre we needed. It was a missed opportunity. What a waste of talent in those lineups.

Reactions: dcyhabs

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We had terrible coaching and terrible development. Even if you don’t think Chuck wasn’t the guy we simply could’ve traded him for the centre we needed. It was a missed opportunity. What a waste of talent in those lineups.
Not so much he wasn’t the guy in that draft as that there wasn’t much in that draft as a whole.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not so much he wasn’t the guy in that draft as that there wasn’t much in that draft as a whole.
Yeah it was a shallow draft. He could’ve been so much better though. Stephane Richer actually wrote an article publicly pleading with the team to play him more. His usage was awful. Esp in 2016, I’ve never seen a player more misused. So frustrating.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I think in net is our biggest area of weakness. Good thing we only need one goalie of the future. But I'll feel a lot better when we've found it.

We really only need two RD's to pan out, as it's relatively easy to find a 3rd pairing dman in the ufa or trade markets. We have Barron and Mailloux who are excellent prospects, and Harris, Norlinder, and Struble who may be able to play the right side. Hutson himself may be able to.
I am quite comfortable with Primeau going forward. Dobes and Dichow both look like they could be in the mix in the future as well.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Habs have 4 good prospect goaltenders if you include Primeau. Primeau was very good in the AHL playoffs last season. It will be interesting to see how well he can do with a real coach and development team. If they get a chance at a goalie who looks like the next Price they should draft him. And as another poster said draft goaltenders later in the draft. Then wait to see if any of the current prospects become #1 goaltenders.

Reactions: Tyson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I am quite comfortable with Primeau going forward. Dobes and Dichow both look like they could be in the mix in the future as well.

True we do have some candidates. But it's hard to be that really good number 1 goalie. We don't want a Murray, Mzarek, or Jack Campbell.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Clearly a team can win with a Matt Murray level goalie because he has 2 cups. Actually, outside of Tampa, all of the recent winners had average starters at best.

Murray was a better goalie back then...

Only Colorado had average goaltending in kuemper. Binnington, Crawford, Holtby, and Quick were all excellent when they helped their team win cups.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Only Colorado had average goaltending in kuemper. Binnington, Crawford, Holtby, and Quick were all excellent when they helped their team win cups.

At minimum, you need a competent goalie, or a goalie who just gets hot at the right time.

However, most of the goalies on your list I would consider above average to very good.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

I would argue Binnington, and to a lesser extent Crawford, never was above average. He was always an average starter who had aome hogh moments and who seemed to perform well under pressure. It is a very valuable quality to be able to pull your best hockey at the right time. Some of it may be luck due to a small sample size, but there is definitely a case to be made that some have nerves of steel and others not so much.

So, if our standard is that we need a guy to play very well in the playoffs, we may not need a great goalie, but one that can play at an acceptable level, rise to the occasion once in a while, and have a team strong enough around him to coverfor the rest of the times.

Reactions: rickthegoon

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I would argue Binnington, and to a lesser extent Crawford, never was above average. He was always an average starter who had aome hogh moments and who seemed to perform well under pressure. It is a very valuable quality to be able to pull your best hockey at the right time. Some of it may be luck due to a small sample size, but there is definitely a case to be made that some have nerves of steel and others not so much.

So, if our standard is that we need a guy to play very well in the playoffs, we may not need a great goalie, but one that can play at an acceptable level, rise to the occasion once in a while, and have a team strong enough around him to coverfor the rest of the times.
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with binnington, but he usually seems to rise up when the noise gets louder.

Crawford was a bit unorthodox, but I think he was pretty darn good, and just happened to get curtailed by head truama

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At minimum, you need a competent goalie, or a goalie who just gets hot at the right time.

However, most of the goalies on your list I would consider above average to very good.

Perhaps they are above average to very good overall in their career. But each provided excellent goaltending during their team's cup winning playoff.

Reactions: Vachon23

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would put hold on decision. See how Primeau and Monty perform this season before making decision. Allen trade at deadline I predict

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I think Dobes will maybe be our guy. Really like his body language in the crease, much more than Primeau. Let's see.
That's completely fine, but Primeau's play during the playoffs should firmly put him back in discussion for the future.

Seeing him play in the NHL, it was easy to see what he struggles with, but the playoffs showed a very different goalie.

In Dobes' case, I haven't been able to catch his games. I like his profile, stats and accomplishments, but will have to let others make a judgement on him as a player. If i had seen him, maybe I would be of the same thought as you even though I watched a lot of AHL (and almost all playoffs) of Primeau.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

That's the thing, who has a better chance of playing hot at the right time: a shitty goalie or an elite goalie?

Or, on the flip side, who has a better chance of costing you series: a shitty goalie or an elite goalie?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Or HuGo gets an offer they can't refuse...or would he more advantageous to accept rather than not to accept.

It would have to be very good for Hughes to force running Monty/Primeau this year.

Unless they get a goalie as a cap/contract dump in the deal.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It would have to be very good for Hughes to force running Monty/Primeau this year.

Unless they get a goalie as a cap/contract dump in the deal.
Well at the TDL there's only maybe 20 games left so I could see them trading Allen then if they're not planning to re-sign him. I agree they should hold onto him to start the year.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

The best player available in that draft was Vasilievsky, picked 19th. Whooaa, that means Price would have to share his net with a goalie that would be better than him after 3 years. Can you imagine draft Vassi and then trade Price for a #1 center? Can you imagine this board explose and the 200 pages of threads, lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad