Swayman Vs The Bruins

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I doubt the Bruins win a ton without Swayman. If they start slow out of the gate how fast do they bow to his demands?

and screw themselves for the next 8 years especially when swayman plays terrible or their players start aging out and boston starts dropping in the standings.

Reactions: Oryxo

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
The thread title should be Neely vs the Bruins. Anyone with an average intellect would have signed Swayman before trading Ullmark. There are dolphins smarter than the non-deserving HHoFer Cam.

That’s the head-scratcher.

I’m not much against how the B’s are negotiating this circa now in a vacuum (especially considering Swayman’s agent), but unless Swayman/Gross explicitly stated that they wanted to negotiate this so far after last season, possibly expecting a Bobrovsky-level contract and the Ottawa trade was “now or never”, there’s no good reason to wait this long.

Reactions: Ben Grimm

Ben Grimm

Can't buy me glove 🏒
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
and screw themselves for the next 8 years especially when swayman plays terrible or their players start aging out and boston starts dropping in the standings.
:laugh: Since you could say this about any player, that's an incredibly weak argument. Stay in school, kid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe him not signing right away can be the info both sides need to make the right decision. If things are rough, Swayman gets closer to his number. If the Bruins do fine with Korpisalo, then the team gets the leverage

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
The more I do math, the “less wrong” the Bruins look.

Bobrovsky’s last season, playing 58 games, he would have made $172,413.80 per start on his $10M contract.

That same amount at 44 games (Sway’s max) is $7,586,206.90. It doesn’t clear $8M until you get to 47 games…..which we haven’t seen.

As far as whether or not Swayman is correct in believing he’s worth forcing the Bruins into “cutting off a finger” like this, or if the Bruins are in the right as they draw a line in the sand and piss into it, both can be true.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Korpisalo was a fine regular season goalie in LA, very very good even

it was in the playoffs where his mental game fell apart and the oilers completely exposed him in three spots, you could tell he was practically guessing at some shots, it was pathetic

all that is to say i like his odds of holding down the fort in a manner that would make swayman sweat

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
Do the math, at $8M this seaon he makes 9.1% of the team cap of $88M. He can probably live with that. If the cap as projected post-Covid goes up 5% per season. In eight years, the cap would be $124M. 9.1% of $124M is $11.285M. His ask of $10M per season is just to make sure over the whole contract he gets his 9%. Facts.

Whether or not you think he's worth 9% is another issue. But remember, when Bobrovsky signed his deal he got 12.3% of the $81.5M cap.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Swayman's numbers last season weren't even that good. Definitely not numbers of a $8M dollar goalie. His numbers the previous season were actually better when he played less games. Also Jim Montgomery's system Im sure help him look better.

2.53GAA25W10L8T11790.916SV%

Sorokin, Saros, Otter and Demko are all better than him and I don't recall any of these goalies making $8M+ a year.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I gotta be honest, I'm really not surprised that this player + this agent have decided to handle negotiations in this fashion and turn it into this much of a clusterF.

And I don't even like the Bruins.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
No Vezina
No playoff series win against a non-Leafs team
No full season of starts as the #1

Compared to Ullmark:

2021-22: Ullmark .917 Swayman .914
2022-23: Ullmark .938 Swayman .920
2023-24: Ullmark .915 Swayman .916

And that is with three seasons of Ullmark getting tougher starts than Swayman.

On what planet does that resume scream setting the market for goalie salary?

But, hey, Swayman keeps a list of "mean" things that are said about him. Maybe Cam needs to call him and apologize ala Billy Madison:

Idunkmyoreos

Sep 28, 2017
In the summer of 2023, the Bruins had a major issue with the cap due to the carryover of around $5 million for Bergeron and Krejci bonuses. This was seen as a one-year problem. To fill out the roster they had to sign several older players to contracts of $1 million or less. I do not remember the amount left, after those signings, somewhere around $4.5 million. Swayman needed a contract and was seeking in excess of the available money. So he filed for arbitration and the Bruins had to play hard ball to keep team intact, I believe it was the Bruins intention to make nice with Swayman in 2024 by electing a one-year award when they could have chosen two. Bruins have shown they pay market value while treating their players well and have had very few holdouts since cap was put in.

This year Bruins started low at $6.5at 4 years (probably not a good idea but is negotiating starting point). They have raised their offer to $7.8 for 8 years (confirmed by several sources). In his presser Neely rounded the 7,8 to 8 (a mistake) but the agent saying no offer was made and implying Neely lied definitely does not help. By the way this represents a 224% raise over last year.

Swayman and Gross stated at beginning he wanted McAvoy contract $9.5 at 8 9 (high negotiating starting point but okay), No indication they have adjusted their request. It appears they want a pound of flesh and damaging Bruins image (arbitration statements about Swayman and walking away from Krug negotiations that were going nowhere) rather than negotiating a fair deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad