Post-Game Talk: Goalie Bobbed in Game 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Totally. Nurse being Nurse, yet this game still not on them unfortunately. Shocking but the Oil still had enough push back despite that goal.

No need to plaster him more on this one
It’s just incredibly frustrating to see a guy at this level after this many years in the league being this awful at his position. The only positive is it was game 1 and not an elimination game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Hopefully the jitters are gone now (although that could of course be said for Florida as well).

The Oilers played a fantastic road game for the most part, but the top guys overplayed it trying to do too much or making low-percentage plays for no reason a lot of the time.

If McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard et al can settle in and just play their game, this will go better. We need Connor to just enter a trance and will this team to win the series and the cup.
I think Connor DID try to will the team to victory just last night. If there was one fault in his game it was making highly individual rushes and attempts at net instead of using linemates more. He was getting stripped of puck more than you want to see. His weird read to go deeper instead of immediately cut back when we didn't have the puck also contributed to the first Florida goal.

Connor scored the big individual goal in elimination game against Dallas. A legend goal. When Connor gets those it somewhat reinforces individual play. Not that it always works or is more effective.

In the telecast they'd mentioned the line got caught with Hyman and Nuge also up and trying so hard to score. It was odd because it was early in game and gives Florida just what they want, the lead.

I thought Bouchard was excellent in all areas. I think Drai is lacking confidence around net and maybe his injuries having impact. He was getting a lot of scoring chances.

The Oilers did a lot of right things and it was a very admirable first ever SC game for the team. They deserved to win. But its problematic they didn't get it. Game 2 so critical now.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Regarding the Nurse/Ceci thing I would not have returned to that pairing. But Ceci getting stripped clean of puck behind net is all Ceci there. Easy target and the one that gives up the puck most. He's a D, and he got picked clean. That can't happen. Nurse doesn't stop the pass in front but fair to say the play happened fast and Nurse shouldn't be expecting Ceci to just outright lose puck there. How does an NHL D not protect better. It was a freeze situation for Ceci there. Eat the puck, protect it till help comes. Ceci positioning over puck was so poor it made it immediately available.

Ceci with most culpability there.

WE tend to get tunnelled here as well due to happenchance in games. Sure the pair were on for both GA. Nurse also made multiple good plays in game, had a lot of ozone entries and was fairly dynamic. Of course Nurse should be better, and we're paying him too much but a notion he should be scratched, I don't know that I buy that.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Foegele and 1 of Nurse or Ceci out. Give me Carrick in a series like this, he'll go hard to the net looking for deflections and rebounds while Foegele tries to play like a fancy Dan. Desharnais needs to come in. The only question is which or Nurse and Ceci do we sit? Ceci is my guess.
If Vinny comes in they will take Broberg out so not to hurt anyone's feelings. I agree on Fogele he's useless.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I think Connor DID try to will the team to victory just last night. If there was one fault in his game it was making highly individual rushes and attempts at net instead of using linemates more. He was getting stripped of puck more than you want to see. His weird read to go deeper instead of immediately cut back when we didn't have the puck also contributed to the first Florida goal.

Connor scored the big individual goal in elimination game against Dallas. A legend goal. When Connor gets those it somewhat reinforces individual play. Not that it always works or is more effective.

In the telecast they'd mentioned the line got caught with Hyman and Nuge also up and trying so hard to score. It was odd because it was early in game and gives Florida just what they want, the lead.

I thought Bouchard was excellent in all areas. I think Drai is lacking confidence around net and maybe his injuries having impact. He was getting a lot of scoring chances.

The Oilers did a lot of right things and it was a very admirable first ever SC game for the team. They deserved to win. But its problematic they didn't get it. Game 2 so critical now.
Yeah but that's what I meant about jitters and hoping to see Connor entering a trance instead.

McDavid in this game was forcing things and seemed to concious about leading the charge.

If he can loosen up and do it more from determination than pressure he could or even will go supernova.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
An interesting observation:

So far this is looking somewhat similar to the WPG COL round 1 series.

WPG won the first game (had the better goalie, but got outplayed) The whole hockey world then jumped on the Jets. The Avs then went on to win 4 in a row, ending the series in 5.

Can we do what the AVS did?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
still not too worried...every legendary player recently lost their 1st game in the Finals (Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin)...it's how you adjust and I think McDavid and Drai will figure it out
Florida will probably figure it out too. Statistically this was a bad game for Florida and its atypical. Tkachuk particularly was awful and never got going. Panthers had some of their guys rowing but others struggling. Not sure what it is but Ekblad always seems to be shitty in game 1's. His attempt early to pinch McD on the boards was amateurish. Did he think he was actually going to get McD on time? Holy crap. That was the weakest D play on McD we've seen since LA.

Barkov, Bennett, Bobo were very good. But they probably get others rowing. For Florida those players realize as well this is the 2nd kick at the can. They were fortunate to get the W but they'll know they have to be much better.

I think particularly in the game the Oilers were winning the board battles. We're stronger in those areas than given credit for. Panthers probably better at speed but their NZ game was really letting them down.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fearless front porch prediction — edge to the Oilers by a pair, next game.

Momentum-altering logo now on Captain's jersey.

xMqXxc0.png

Last edited:

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Very frustrating. That game was very winnable if not for the same stupid issues rearing their ugly head again.

1) Nurse-Ceci. Knob, why?
2) Overpassing. If you have an open look, shoot the puck.
3) Lack of finish. Raise the puck.

On another note, it's interesting how all of the trolls that couldn't be found on the mains after we beat Dallas have mysteriously reappeared after their "holidays." Imagine caring so much to hate watch another team to that extent. What a sad life.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
An interesting observation:

So far this is looking somewhat similar to the WPG COL round 1 series.

WPG won the first game (had the better goalie, but got outplayed) The whole hockey world then jumped on the Jets. The Avs then went on to win 4 in a row, ending the series in 5.

Can we do what the AVS did?
Florida ain't Winnipeg. Panthers have better D, more pace and physicality. The similarity though, that concerned me last night was that Paul Maurice could impact. I can't say why what he trotted out in Winnipeg was the difference against us, and it didn't appear to work last night either, but we again lost, and I remember the feeling of being better team in some of those games in the Jets series and still losing, and still having trouble scoring. The one thing Florida seem good at is giving up initial chances and then doing enough to contest giving up more. A lot of one and dones or collapsed play in front of net.

Its like seeing a boxer give up a lot but not allowing crucial blows, not allowing a knockdown. Oddly similar. I do think Paul Maurice is a great coach.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
still not too worried...every legendary player recently lost their 1st game in the Finals (Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin)...it's how you adjust and I think McDavid and Drai will figure it out
The thing is we dominated most of the game and still lost, Fla will come out and surely play a better game tomorrow night, yes Bob stood on his head, but if Skinner stops at least 1 of those 2 goals, outcome may have been different.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Florida ain't Winnipeg. Panthers have better D, more pace and physicality. The similarity though, that concerned me last night was that Paul Maurice could impact. I can't say why what he trotted out in Winnipeg worked against us, and it didn't appear to work last night either, but we again lost, and I remember the feeling of being better team in some of those games in the Jets series and still losing, and still having trouble scoring. The one thing Florida seem good at is giving up initial chances and then doing enough to contest giving up more. A lot of one and dones or collapsed play in front of net.

Its like seeing a boxer give up a lot but not allowing crucial blows, not allowing a knockdown. Oddly similar. I do think Paul Maurice is a great coach.
I agree Florida is not WPG, but the similarities are there to that round 1 series.
We were the better team just like the AVS were.

I'm not saying it will play out the same way, but it's nice we didn't lose and get dominated. We showed we can beat these guys and the Avs in round 1 showed you can lose the first game and still win a series in 5.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Bob looks unstoppable right now, this is going to be a massive mountain to climb.
I'm probably more nervous than most. It's the one thing you can't adjust or just play harder to beat

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We can blame Ceci-Nurse on the second goal, and rightfully so, Kane is also a step late but McLeod is the first forward back, He’s just figure skating, not blocking lanes and generally useless.
But I’m told he has a good defensive game, ya right.
McLeod and Foegele are the masters of covering a lot of ground to look busy while accomplishing nothing.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
True but I don't think it will happen.

Am I the only guy who thinks that Drai is looking less than ordinary. for the last 6 games?
My guess is injuries. He broke his finger at the end of the Vancouver series and had some abdominal issue earlier in the same series. It also doesn't help that he's been saddled with a rotating cast of castaways at ES. At least drop RNH down to help him out.

I've noticed that they haven't tried the cross-ice pass for his one-timer on the PP. I wonder if injuries has something to do with that or maybe other teams have scouted our PP so they've gone away from that move.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I'm probably more nervous than most. It's the one thing you can't adjust or just play harder to beat
But you can. The Oilers straight-up played to Bobrovsky's strengths last night trying to deke through him and putting it into his pads along the ice.

The Oilers made Markström look ordinary in 2022 because they solved him and exploited his weaknesses instead of playing to his strengths.

Reactions: BlackDogg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
My guess is injuries. He broke his finger at the end of the Vancouver series and had some abdominal issue earlier in the same series. It also doesn't help that he's been saddled with a rotating cast of castaways at ES. At least drop RNH down to help him out.

I've noticed that they haven't tried the cross-ice pass for his one-timer on the PP. I wonder if injuries has something to do with that or maybe other teams have scouted our PP so they've gone away from that move.
Agreed- probably both. He's definitely fighting some injuries but you can bet that other teams have watched a lot of game film and figured out how to intercept the excutioner's shot.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad