Post-Game Talk: Goalie Bobbed in Game 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’ve noticed this as an annoying trend going back years now in the playoffs. We simply will not shoot high on goalies until we’ve had about 2-3 games of making them look good. Did it last year with Korpisalo, and did it this year with both Silovs and Oettinger. They stuff pucks into the goalie for three games, wonder why pucks aren’t going in, then lo and behold start lighting the lamp when they look high.

The message probably needs to be beat into them before Game 2 to get this out of them. Low blocker/glove doesn’t work, low dekes don’t work.
I wonder if its another case of forwards not realizing how much better goalies are today and how much adaptation and much better moves across. I'm not gonna blame with this but it could also be they beat Skinner with the same moves in practice and so just figure...

The Nuge breakaway particularly was just wasted. He'd realized by the end of it he'd just deked himself into nothing. Just a bang off the pad on Bobo who had no trouble with it. Conversely the two Florida goals were higher.

Pad stuffing annoys me like little else. Even Drai was doing it.

Reactions: K1984

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Stayed away from the internet after that game, but my opinion is oilers played well outside of two nurse mistakes and giving bob too many easy saves. Too many shots low into the pads and when they did lift it above 3 inches they went wide, wasn’t the scouting report you had to go high on bob?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Too much handwringing about Bob, IMO.

Like @tardigrade81 pointed out, he shut out the Rangers game 1 and they put up offense on him after (and then faded away in the series but the Oilers are better). Oilers have had to solve difficult goalies the last two series as well, and did.
The Oilers made Silovs look difficult. he really shouldn't have been that hard to solve. Bobo is on another level of what we've seen. OTT is very up and down as well but plays smaller than Bobo and more net available.

In anycase we've had some difficulty finding EV goals the last two series. That has to stop. For a team with generational superstars we should be scoring more no matter who is in net.

We had trouble solving OTT as well. The Oilers had the fortune of 2PP goals in games 5 and 6. They weren't getting much of anything other than that. This gone cold offense, its been awhile now. Florida is better on pk than any team we've seen. LA f***ed themselves over because the Diamond doesn't work against us and never does.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The Oilers made Silovs look difficult. he really shouldn't have been that hard to solve. Bobo is on another level of what we've seen. OTT is very up and down as well but plays smaller than Bobo and more net available.

In anycase we've had some difficulty finding EV goals the last two series. That has to stop. For a team with generational superstars we should be scoring more no matter who is in net.

We had trouble solving OTT as well. The Oilers had the fortune of 2PP goals in games 5 and 6. They weren't getting much of anything other than that. This gone cold offense, its been awhile now. Florida is better on pk than any team we've seen. LA f***ed themselves over because the Diamond doesn't work against us and never does.

Really came down to Bob (helped by the team refusing to shoot high on him) and Nurse - Ceci pairing being a thing again. Was not impressed by the Panthers. I’m sure they’ll be better but the Oilers won’t be shutout again. For the bolded, Oilers had their chances on the PP but honestly, outside of the last two games vs Dallas it had been a bit vaunted as well. They will have to win on EV scoring

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
As a side note and just a reminder to everyone, PK Subban still sucks. His post-game coverage talking about the defensive prowess and nerves of the Panthers is embarrassing after how tilted the game was. “It’s just like I said before the game,” my ass.

It amazes me that he will publicly display his bias. Messier put him in his place and acknowledged Bob.
Florida played the worse defensively than any team we've faced since LA. Oilers were getting wide open spaces. I think giving up this many shots and shot attempts isn't good D. Oilers wasted the game not making them pay.

Subban has never been worth listening to.

Bob was the whole story yesterday. Ridiculous how much Panthers were reliant on him. The Oilers haven't had that many 10bell saves in a game all season.

I wonder how it impacts though. The Oilers play more airtight because they have to. I watch Tkachuk play and his attention to detail in ownzone looks non existent. Everything Barkov is, Tkachuk isn't. he was making dumb ass plays in own zone and turning pucks over. Such a tool. He did nothing the whole game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Really came down to Bob (helped by the team refusing to shoot high on him) and Nurse - Ceci pairing being a thing again. Was not impressed by the Panthers. I’m sure they’ll be better but the Oilers won’t be shutout again. For the bolded, Oilers had their chances on the PP but honestly, outside of the last two games vs Dallas it had been a bit vaunted as well. They will have to win on EV scoring
Yep. Imperative that we get our EV game going. But this will mean benching players that can't be part of that. Perry cannot be in the lineup and I'm never sold on old Brown either. Wish the team had tried out Lavoie as early as first series. Now he's not an option. Gagner, if we'd played him at all maybe he could sup in and give us something. Can't do that now with a player that hasn't played in months. Some frustrating roster decisions. Carrick has to come back in, get Perry out of there.

I think we have to shake up our lines. I really would put Henrique back with Drai. I thought we had something there.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The other guy makes 10 million a year.

That is like comparing Kucherov to Foegele. Skinner played a decent game.
Um what? That’s a ridiculous analogy and not even remotely similar. So I guess we should be playing Campbell because he makes 5M and thus is twice as good as Skinner. Can you send a memo to Bob that Connor makes 12.5M and he only makes 10M.

Also, Nurse makes 9.25M….

1717954621151.png

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Lightning Fan. So, now I am a Oiler fan for the next 2 weeks...

Typical Maurice shit. Until the Oilers win a couple or start hitting Barkov, Reinhart and Tkachuk, be prepared for the thug Bennett, Mikkola, Kulikov and King Rat Tkachuk thug show. He does this all the time and then puts a leash on him when the series tighten up.

My question, who on the Oilers can stand toe-toe and physical FL? Otherwise, Maurice will have them cheap shot all series and rely on Bob and D, which has been effective against good skating teams. Need to knock them on their ass and make them think. A few Goalie Interferences on Bob, get him thinking. See this crap all the time in Florida, Maurice counts on EDM continuing to "play" their skating game...

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021

You are right...until 97 and 29 score some goals 5 V5 or the team for that matter we won't win this series...It's def been a trend lately.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I’ve noticed this as an annoying trend going back years now in the playoffs. We simply will not shoot high on goalies until we’ve had about 2-3 games of making them look good. Did it last year with Korpisalo, and did it this year with both Silovs and Oettinger. They stuff pucks into the goalie for three games, wonder why pucks aren’t going in, then lo and behold start lighting the lamp when they look high.

The message probably needs to be beat into them before Game 2 to get this out of them. Low blocker/glove doesn’t work, low dekes don’t work.
They had to score on at least ne of those chances..in the finals chances like that can be rare. The stuffing the pads with the entire top net open was infurating and it cost them. 97 and 29 need to score 5 v 5 for us to win this series.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yep. Imperative that we get our EV game going. But this will mean benching players that can't be part of that. Perry cannot be in the lineup and I'm never sold on old Brown either. Wish the team had tried out Lavoie as early as first series. Now he's not an option. Gagner, if we'd played him at all maybe he could sup in and give us something. Can't do that now with a player that hasn't played in months. Some frustrating roster decisions. Carrick has to come back in, get Perry out of there.

I think we have to shake up our lines. I really would put Henrique back with Drai. I thought we had something there.
If nothing else it points to the long list of UFAs this summer and who will be offered a new contract and who won't.

I agree that Lavoie should have been given a chance coming down the stretch but how do you insert him now into such a pressure packed situation? Its just not realistic. Gagner might have added something but having sat in the press box for so long it isn't likely that he would make any incremental positive impact.

This roster is really the best the Oilers have but they will be more effective at scoring in game #2. Bobby is good but the right coaching strategy and study of game film will make a difference.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
On the 2nd goal he absolutely owned up to his mistake. They showed him right after it was scored on the bench tapping his chest and saying it was his bad.
Here is the after game interview where he glosses over it.

Quote:
"He wins the puck race and it goes through my wickets."

Thats not owning up to anything. I guess its possible that he is really that daft and he doesnt understand what actually happened out there. He doesnt understand what his responsibility was.
That might explain why he never seems to learn from his colossol mistakes.

I agree with you except for this statement, the camera clearly caught him owning the mistake, he says my bad and then yelled f*** afterwards. Nurse and Ceci are a train wreck of a D pairing, everyone sees it not sure why they (Knob) continue to go back to it. I think Ceci is the bigger liability as he seemingly cannot play the puck anymore, he doesn't make good reads and fails in every aspect to make good plays.
I didnt see that shot. I was off to the fridge in disgust to get another beer.
I was refering to the after game interview where he said that "he won the race for the puck and it went through my wickets."

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Typical Maurice shit. Until the Oilers win a couple or start hitting Barkov, Reinhart and Tkachuk, be prepared for the thug Bennett, Mikkola, Kulikov and King Rat Tkachuk thug show. He does this all the time and then puts a leash on him when the series tighten up.

My question, who on the Oilers can stand toe-toe and physical FL? Otherwise, Maurice will have them cheap shot all series and rely on Bob and D, which has been effective against good skating teams. Need to knock them on their ass and make them think. A few Goalie Interferences on Bob, get him thinking. See this crap all the time in Florida, Maurice counts on EDM continuing to "play" their skating game...
Nucks cheapshotted us a lot in that series. We don't have an enforcer if thats what you're wondering. it didn't deter the Oil, and we play physical hockey, hitting, puck battle as well as anybody and dominated last night, but we don't have fighters. Kane is injured. Nurse doesn't fight anymore, Desharnais is useless and not even in lineup. Kane does at least nail opponents through the boards if they take liberties.

We've run Tkachuks show so many times he doesn't even matter. The Oilers are used to destroying him from his Calgary times and predictably Tkachuk was a big nothing last night.

Kulikov? Is he a thug now? Was not that when we had him.

The issue in game one wasn't physicality at all. Did you see Drai lay Bennett out with a reverse hit? Bennett frustrated came back with a penalty. Oilers should've punished that. All of McD, Drai, Hyman, Bouchard, Ekholm are tough as rocks.

This isnt Rangers Florida are playing. Our core guys are strong and can take anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The woman that flashed her breasts at the watch party is being interview on Spitting chickletts live right now and it's clear she regrets it. It's so sad.
Most people who go on Spitting Chiclets probably regret doing so. You lose brain cells breathing that air.

Oh, you mean flashing her chest, ya I guess she might regret that too. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: iCanada

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Kane, Perry (but Perry should probably come out), Ekholm, Nurse (when he chooses to be physical…), Draisaitl (but shouldn’t have to be overly physical) and Carrick (should come in), Desharnais (will still probably sit) would be the more physical players. I’d like to see Carrick in for Perry

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If nothing else it points to the long list of UFAs this summer and who will be offered a new contract and who won't.

I agree that Lavoie should have been given a chance coming down the stretch but how do you insert him now into such a pressure packed situation? Its just not realistic. Gagner might have added something but having sat in the press box for so long it isn't likely that he would make any incremental positive impact.

This roster is really the best the Oilers have but they will be more effective at scoring in game #2. Bobby is good but the right coaching strategy and study of game film will make a difference.
Every pundit, stat, was saying go high on Bobo. We'd all seen the plot of where goals have been going in and where they are not. But players get locked in for some reason and refuse or fail to get the pucks up where they need to be.

But why oh wny on 3 breakaways would we be taking puck for a deke everytime. This is what Bobo would want you to do.

We had a week to prepare. we know what goalie we're facing, we know what he is. why let him get comfortable and settled in? Imperative that we beat him early in game 2. You can't let him get settled in games. Everybody knows to put pucks high, nobody doing it.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The woman that flashed her breasts at the watch party is being interview on Spitting chickletts live right now and it's clear she regrets it. It's so sad.
Spittin' Chiclets are the only people she's spoken to online. She appears around the midway point in today's episode (Episode 505 titled "Game 1 Recap").

She works in the oil fields.

Features the type of crass questions you would expect from that pod like "why'd you whip out your tits?" :laugh:

And of course, you also get an answer to "are they real".

She has gone into hiding and has apparently deleted her social media accounts. She hasn't followed up with any of the offers that were made to her by adult sites but has read about them. Says she's not interested.

Confirms that she doesn't know the person who took the video, who was just filming the crowd at that moment and she happened to be in the viewing angle. When she saw that the clip was posted on Twitter, she contacted them to have it deleted and they did but of course, nothing ever gets deleted once it's posted online.

She seemed to warm up to the interview as it went on. She started it wearing huge sunglasses but eventually took them off and seemed more relaxed by the end of it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So much debate over this player but the simple answer is that he is not an elite #1 D-man with the hockey instincts to fill that role. With substantial playing time in any game, the probability of him making a serious defensive error is fairly high. On the other end he doesn't have the offensive ability of a guy like Bouchard to score many points. Hence the low production in the playoffs. I don't think that this is picking on the guy or criticizing him its merely expressing what longer term stats bear out.

The bigger the sample size then the better the predictions. He took the exorbitant contract (as we all would have) but essentially he is a 2nd pairing D-man. Pairing him with another player who is mistake prone simply aggravates the problem.
I agree.
I want to like Darnell Nurse. I want him to not be a liability out there.
The frustrating part is that he has the physical tools to be much better than he is but he just cant think the game at a high enough level.
He most definitely isnt a #1 dman and I think that the only reason people thought that prior to Ekholms arrival was because there wasnt a better dman on the team at that time.
That was a statement on how poor this defence really was.
Now the the team has a legit top pairing its clear what Nurse is and its a long ways from a #1 dman.
So now we have the contract. $9.25M being eaten up by a player that needs to be babysat.
Nurse is a handicap...he is a liability. It should be the opposite.
We should be having conversations around putting players like Ceci with Nurse because they are struggling and Nurse will help them. Instead it just amplifies the stupid.

In the biggest game of this McDavid era team so far we cant even rely on the teams highest paid dman to make the smart play...the obvious play.
We cant expect him to actually learn. He just repeats the same idiocy over and over again.
It absolutely maddening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad