Post-Game Talk: Goalie Bobbed in Game 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Florida will probably figure it out too. Statistically this was a bad game for Florida and its atypical. Tkachuk particularly was awful and never got going. Panthers had some of their guys rowing but others struggling. Not sure what it is but Ekblad always seems to be shitty in game 1's. His attempt early to pinch McD on the boards was amateurish. Did he think he was actually going to get McD on time? Holy crap. That was the weakest D play on McD we've seen since LA.

Barkov, Bennett, Bobo were very good. But they probably get others rowing. For Florida those players realize as well this is the 2nd kick at the can. They were fortunate to get the W but they'll know they have to be much better.

I think particularly in the game the Oilers were winning the board battles. We're stronger in those areas than given credit for. Panthers probably better at speed but their NZ game was really letting them down.
My take is that Florida’s system got exposed with Oilers speed and backtracking. As mentioned before, Bruce Curlock posted a tactical review of the series on how Florida attacks and defends and how Oilers can break it, Oilers did exactly that. Posting the article here as well.

Barkov wasn’t excellent. When he was on the nice, oilers outshot the panthers, out high danger chances them, and had a higher xGF%. Bob bailed him out. Bennett was good. Ekblad has issues with skating, so McDavid blowing by him wasn’t unexpected. In fact, I’m guessing they target Ekblad’s side more as the series goes on. Tkachuk has been playing like this all playoffs. On the Panthers podcast before the series, they mentioned Tkachuk particularly and his poor play all playoffs.

Bottom line is, the Oilers allowed 2 goals, didn’t let Florida forecheck, and the Panthers had issues with speed. The shot suppression should be a surprise to no one- it’s what the Oilers do. Bob is 38 years old, he can’t take 32-35 shots every game without fatiguing. The week off helped him a ton. If the Oilers keep Florida to 2 goals every game- they are winning the series.

Bruce’s article

Last edited:

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The Oilers lost game 1 of the Vancouver series and still won.
This isnt over.
In both games they were the better team as well.

We win the next game and it's a very good situation to be in having to come back to a real hockey town.

Reactions: guymez

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Regarding the Nurse/Ceci thing I would not have returned to that pairing. But Ceci getting stripped clean of puck behind net is all Ceci there. Easy target and the one that gives up the puck most. He's a D, and he got picked clean. That can't happen. Nurse doesn't stop the pass in front but fair to say the play happened fast and Nurse shouldn't be expecting Ceci to just outright lose puck there. How does an NHL D not protect better. It was a freeze situation for Ceci there. Eat the puck, protect it till help comes. Ceci positioning over puck was so poor it made it immediately available.

Ceci with most culpability there.

WE tend to get tunnelled here as well due to happenchance in games. Sure the pair were on for both GA. Nurse also made multiple good plays in game, had a lot of ozone entries and was fairly dynamic. Of course Nurse should be better, and we're paying him too much but a notion he should be scratched, I don't know that I buy that.

Ceci has to have the worst defensive stick skills of the entire team. Worse than any forwards. I dunno how this guy manages to never get his stick on anything. It's a bad combo with how poor he is at physical engagement to break up plays. Third pair minutes, because of absolute necessity (lazy GMing), is the highest this guy should be playing. I dunno who keeps pumping this guy's tires in the org but the next GM needs to get rid of him asap.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Too much handwringing about Bob, IMO.

Like @tardigrade81 pointed out, he shut out the Rangers game 1 and they put up offense on him after (and then faded away in the series but the Oilers are better). Oilers have had to solve difficult goalies the last two series as well, and did.

They need to go high. Can't remember the actual numbers of the goals he has let in, but it is mind-blowing how many pucks he has stopped down low. I think they had shown only only like 10% of the goals he's let in all playoffs were down low.

Yet, Oil continued to pepper this area of the net the entire game.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
They need to go high. Can't remember the actual numbers of the goals he has let in, but it is mind-blowing how many pucks he has stopped down low. I think they had shown only only like 10% of the goals he's let in all playoffs were down low.

Yet, Oil continued to pepper this area of the net the entire game.
Is there any particular website or source where we can see the shot distribution on goalies like this?

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Nerves lost them this one.

They made a complete mess of every scoring chance.bob played well but we weren’t scoring on echl level goaltending this game.

They may have te replace the crest on bobs jersey… it saw a lot of rubber.

You can’t teach offence but if you want to put up a video of what not to do… play this game.

They hit crest and mid pad on seemingly every quality chance. This one is on piss poor finishing

Reactions: Kerberos

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The woman that flashed her breasts at the watch party is being interview on Spitting chickletts live right now and it's clear she regrets it. It's so sad.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Is there any particular website or source where we can see the shot distribution on goalies like this?

Tried to look, couldn't really find anything. It was just a piece they did during one of the intermissions and it was pretty unreal the variance from pucks going in low and high. You don't beat him low.

Reactions: PuckG

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Everything pregame was saying you just won't beat Bobo low. The Oilers all day stuffing pucks into pads and when they went high missing net. FRustrating game.

We had 3 breakaways and stuffed pads everytime. Its like they didn't even study Bobo. they had all week.

I’ve noticed this as an annoying trend going back years now in the playoffs. We simply will not shoot high on goalies until we’ve had about 2-3 games of making them look good. Did it last year with Korpisalo, and did it this year with both Silovs and Oettinger. They stuff pucks into the goalie for three games, wonder why pucks aren’t going in, then lo and behold start lighting the lamp when they look high.

The message probably needs to be beat into them before Game 2 to get this out of them. Low blocker/glove doesn’t work, low dekes don’t work.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Tried to look, couldn't really find anything. It was just a piece they did during one of the intermissions and it was pretty unreal the variance from pucks going in low and high. You don't beat him low.
The graphic they had showed 0 goals scored through the five hole which is remarkable.

Reactions: McBigYak

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
As a side note and just a reminder to everyone, PK Subban still sucks. His post-game coverage talking about the defensive prowess and nerves of the Panthers is embarrassing after how tilted the game was. “It’s just like I said before the game,” my ass.

It amazes me that he will publicly display his bias. Messier put him in his place and acknowledged Bob.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
1717952813233.jpeg

Looks like mid range shots are his Achilles heel.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If this is the case why prolong it and go on a talk show and presumably get your name out there too?
I have no idea, but she didn't seem very happy to be doing the interview and she said she's basically been in working and in hiding since. She's catching crap at work in the fields.

To be fair, she doesn't seem that "intelligent" she can't understand why it got so big, she also confirmed they are fake.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The woman that flashed her breasts at the watch party is being interview on Spitting chickletts live right now and it's clear she regrets it. It's so sad.
Pls post a link, if you have one. Thx.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
As a side note and just a reminder to everyone, PK Subban still sucks. His post-game coverage talking about the defensive prowess and nerves of the Panthers is embarrassing after how tilted the game was. “It’s just like I said before the game,” my ass.

It amazes me that he will publicly display his bias. Messier put him in his place and acknowledged Bob.

I’m starting to wonder about this guy. Clearly he has no idea what he’s talking about (and considering he only stayed in the NHL as long..short? as he did was putting up offense, no surprise).

But, he never shuts the f*** up when it comes to throwing shade at the Oilers. Literally every opportunity he can, he does

Wonder if he wanted to sign here before he washed out of the league and they rejected him?

Reactions: PuckG

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I’m starting to wonder about this guy. Clearly he has no idea what he’s talking about (and considering he only stayed in the NHL as long..short? as he did was putting up offense, no surprise).

But, he never shuts the f*** up when it comes to throwing shade at the Oilers. Literally every opportunity he can, he does

Wonder if he wanted to sign here before he washed out of the league and they rejected him?
He was much better on his podcast during covid He was much more relatable then. He's since adopted an insufferable TV persona of some cross between Stephen A Smith and Don Cherry. Insufferable prick as far as im concerned.

Reactions: PuckG and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad