Post-Game Talk: Goalie Bobbed in Game 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think we, as fans, mostly recognize that if play was determined by merit, Nurse would be in the press-box. However, you can't pay a guy almost 10 million and scratch him.

Nurse is certainly an NHL quality player based on skill-set, but he is in no way an NHL quality defenceman.

So... what we gonna do??

Might start with separating him and Ceci, again. Idiotic coaching decision to put them together

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
After a morning nap some more thoughts.

I don't think FLA is a team they can load McDrai up against. They were more of a handful when the Panthers couldn't lock in on just one line.

The 3rd line played well, but I still didn't like it. Sure, they might manage to will the puck into the net, but they're just not a threat to score. I love the idea of a Janmark-Henrique-Brown line if it's the 3rd period and they're leading, but not when they're trying to mount a comeback.

Honestly, I'd go back to the Game 7 roster vs. Dallas and work from there.

Maybe Foegele over Perry, but I'm not a fan of McLovin with Drai, as he sucks at moving the puck to his linemates. Not a quality I want with Leon. Though you could go with Holloway there, and have Foegele in his 3rd line spot. Foegele-Henrique-Kane did play well together at the end of the season.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Holloway
Foegele-Henrique-Kane
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

That gives you 3 lines I trust can score.

I still think the best spot for McLeod is next to Drai. It highlights his best skill (carrying the puck and distributing it to his linemates) while getting him out of a role, where forechecking and grinding down the defence are required.

On defence, they have to go with Nurse-Kulak or Nurse-Broberg next game. The idea of Nurse-Ceci needs to be staked through the heart, burned, and buried.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Definitely some Woodcroftian decisions in this one.

Nurse-Ceci is the obvious one, but I really don't get Knob's obsession with the third line. Foegele, McLeod and Perry have been the worst forwards on the team every single game they've played. Meanwhile you've got Janmark-Henrique-Brown constantly buzzing and bordering on the most effective line on the team at 5v5 and they're still not even sniffing 10 minutes of 5v5.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Definitely some Woodcroftian decisions in this one.

Nurse-Ceci is the obvious one, but I really don't get Knob's obsession with the third line. Foegele, McLeod and Perry have been the worst forwards on the team every single game they've played. Meanwhile you've got Janmark-Henrique-Brown constantly buzzing and bordering on the most effective line on the team at 5v5 and they're still not even sniffing 10 minutes of 5v5.
Agreed . Knobs has pushed all the right buttons but game 1 of the cup final there were some head scratching decisions.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Hopefully the jitters are gone now (although that could of course be said for Florida as well).

The Oilers played a fantastic road game for the most part, but the top guys overplayed it trying to do too much or making low-percentage plays for no reason a lot of the time.

If McDavid, Draisaitl, Bouchard et al can settle in and just play their game, this will go better. We need Connor to just enter a trance and will this team to win the series and the cup.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Someone in the org loves McLeod, Foegele, Ceci and Nurse. Why? It can't be someone who actually wants to win.

MBHockey

Sep 29, 2007
NYR fan here. Bobbo can’t bail them out like that the whole series. he’s no Igor. your guys just need to shoot high on him. they will figure it out. Oilers had no problems with florida’s forecheck which is their biggest strength. oilers are clearly the better team. oilers in 6.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
After these lineups decisions there's obviously a little bit of trust lost with Knob.

1. Changing a winning team
2. Changing to formations that are proven not to work
3. Said formation(s) directly contribute to the loss

So we're not even talking about hindsight toldyasos; everyone saw this coming.

Now having said that, what's the solution? There must have been something Knob didn't like about that Nurse-Kulak pairing enough to reunite the worst pairing in the playoffs.

I didn't think it was that bad so I don't know what the reasoning was, but for people now saying they will sacrifice Broberg by putting Vinny back in, I just don't see it.

Vinny wilts under a hard forecheck. His only real USP over Broberg is penalty kill but the Oilers are trucking along fine without him on the PK. Zero reason to put Vinny back in, but again, trust in Knob is not the same as it was 48 hours ago. Anything can happen, although none of Ceci or Nurse will get scratched. Especially not Nurse.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't mind Broberg Vinny but I can't imagine our coach trusts two young d men on the same pair in the Stanley cup final especially after dropping game 1 where the team deserved to win but came out with a shutout loss.
Swap Vinny and Kulak around.

Nurse has played with VD before and been ok. Kulak and Broberg might be a fast, swift skating duo.

2 rookies in that lower pair might be alright, but I wouldn’t go there just yet.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The first goal I agree with you.
The 2nd goal...there is no defending Nurse on that play. Even after the winger (I think it was Kane) loses his man Nurse can easily neutralize the play if he positions himself better.

He completely took himself out of the play...he might as well have skated to the bench and sat down.
The really annoying thing for me is that he didnt even own his mistake afterwards.

To think that there is an entire thread on here proclaiming that Nurse is a #1 dman.
It must be satire.
I agree with you except for this statement, the camera clearly caught him owning the mistake, he says my bad and then yelled f*** afterwards. Nurse and Ceci are a train wreck of a D pairing, everyone sees it not sure why they (Knob) continue to go back to it. I think Ceci is the bigger liability as he seemingly cannot play the puck anymore, he doesn't make good reads and fails in every aspect to make good plays.

Reactions: Macheteops

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
After a morning nap some more thoughts.

I don't think FLA is a team they can load McDrai up against. They were more of a handful when the Panthers couldn't lock in on just one line.

The 3rd line played well, but I still didn't like it. Sure, they might manage to will the puck into the net, but they're just not a threat to score. I love the idea of a Janmark-Henrique-Brown line if it's the 3rd period and they're leading, but not when they're trying to mount a comeback.

Honestly, I'd go back to the Game 7 roster vs. Dallas and work from there.

Maybe Foegele over Perry, but I'm not a fan of McLovin with Drai, as he sucks at moving the puck to his linemates. Not a quality I want with Leon. Though you could go with Holloway there, and have Foegele in his 3rd line spot. Foegele-Henrique-Kane did play well together at the end of the season.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Holloway
Foegele-Henrique-Kane
Janmark-Carrick-Brown

That gives you 3 lines I trust can score.

I still think the best spot for McLeod is next to Drai. It highlights his best skill (carrying the puck and distributing it to his linemates) while getting him out of a role, where forechecking and grinding down the defence are required.

On defence, they have to go with Nurse-Kulak or Nurse-Broberg next game. The idea of Nurse-Ceci needs to be staked through the heart, burned, and buried.
Generally I like it but for me the key to beating Bobrovsky is get a second winger in the crease to pressure Bob and clean up on those rebounds he’s letting up. Don’t think Nuge and McLeod are the guys to do that, neither are very good under pressure in the crease.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
More optimistic after that L then before the series started. Bob can't play that way every game. Gotta find a way to win next one though

Broberg looking solid. Love that the 9+ million D played 16 minutes. Knob starting to not care about hurt feelings and playing who is gonna get him the W

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
After these lineups decisions there's obviously a little bit of trust lost with Knob.

1. Changing a winning team
2. Changing to formations that are proven not to work
3. Said formation(s) directly contribute to the loss

So we're not even talking about hindsight toldyasos; everyone saw this coming.

Now having said that, what's the solution? There must have been something Knob didn't like about that Nurse-Kulak pairing enough to reunite the worst pairing in the playoffs.

I didn't think it was that bad so I don't know what the reasoning was, but for people now saying they will sacrifice Broberg by putting Vinny back in, I just don't see it.

Vinny wilts under a hard forecheck. His only real USP over Broberg is penalty kill but the Oilers are trucking along fine without him on the PK. Zero reason to put Vinny back in, but again, trust in Knob is not the same as it was 48 hours ago. Anything can happen, although none of Ceci or Nurse will get scratched. Especially not Nurse.

To be fair if Bob doesn't stand on his head we likely aren't critiquing the few mistakes last night. Oilers likely win that game at least 4 -2 most nights.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ceci sit for VD. They're in the Cup finals. He'll do what he thinks gives his team the best shot at winning at this point

zoo99

Nov 15, 2006
Tough loss but liked Oilers game, tough breaks all game including missing the double minor on the high stick to Mcdavids chin, not sure why that’s not being talked about more, might of changed the whole game if they catch it and as we learned in previous series any of the four officials could of called it but they apparently all missed it.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
To be fair if Bob doesn't stand on his head we likely aren't critiquing the few mistakes last night. Oilers likely win that game at least 4 -2 most nights.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ceci sit for VD. They're in the Cup finals. He'll do what he thinks gives his team the best shot at winning at this point
Yes, but my counter to that is that the shutout is also partly on the coach.

They clearly didn't do their homework on this guy, and it's not like it's some relatively unknown quantity a la Arturs Silovs in net.

Bob is a 35-yearold Vezina-winning veteran and the completely failed scouting job on him is also ultimately the responsibility of the head coach in preparation for the series.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Felt like we controlled the game and that's borne out in the advanced stuff. Even with the loss that's a game where I'm certain the entire group knows they can beat this club. If we had lost and got outplayed it might be demoralizing. Expect Edmonton to come out with the same dominance next game.

You have to change the defence. Both goals against a result of Nurse and/or Ceci like clockwork. I can't believe I'm saying this a year removed from last playoffs Desharnais debacle but we need to put him back in the lineup over Nurse or Ceci. It's a joke that these guys are both in the lineup. We have extra lefties so maybe Nurse comes out.

Ekholm-Bouchard -- play this pairing for 30 minutes a game.
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg-Ceci

The only defencemen making brutal mistakes on our roster are Nurse and Ceci, the rest are treading water or excelling. Knoblauch has a tough decision to make but I do not see how you have both of those guys in the lineup any longer. They are costing us games.

I have a lot of hope for this series. Bobrovsky is an all-world tender and the difference between him and Skinner is apparent in the net. You can see how confident Bob is, it's night and day vs. Skinner. He will break eventually.

• Haha
Reactions: Arturia Pendragon

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
I didn’t see Florida’s first goal so I can’t really comment on Skinners play, but man, that dude struggles with making the first save of the game.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
We can blame Ceci-Nurse on the second goal, and rightfully so, Kane is also a step late but McLeod is the first forward back, He’s just figure skating, not blocking lanes and generally useless.
But I’m told he has a good defensive game, ya right.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I didn’t see Florida’s first goal so I can’t really comment on Skinners play, but man, that dude struggles with making the first save of the game.
It was typical Skinner in the sense that he was kind of slow on a lateral move that was telegraphed (the puck carrier Barkov was a lefty bearing down from the right so pass was pretty much the only play).

Skinner didn't bail his team on the play as we're kind of accustomed to him not doing at this point, but McDavid, Nurse, Ceci and Hyman all played it pretty poorly.

McDavid completely sold out being too aggressive in the offensive zone as F3 which led to a 3-on-2.

Then Nurse was too aggressive in his own end getting dummied by Reinhart which essentially turned the 3-on-2 into a 2-on-1.

Then Ceci tried to go stick on puck instead of just cutting off the passing lane (again, pass being the only play available to Barkov).

Finally Hyman gave up on the back check allowing Verhaeghe to finish without anyone tying him up.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
What a demoralizing and soul-crushing loss. The Oilers owned the first 30 minutes of that game and couldn't buy a goal. Florida rounded into form and were extremely good in the 3rd, and now they have 75% odds at winning the cup after bringing their best effort for only half a game. Most depressing loss since the San Jose game early in the season for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad